MTA MetroCard's being accepted on NJT Buses

Luis1985

As we all know, Bee-Line Bus System began the usage of the MetroCard's on the buses, wouldn't it be nice if NJ Transit would accept MetroCard's on their buses too??? Bee-Line Bus System, MTA Long Island Bus and PATH Uses MetroCard's, Why not the NJ Transit Buses???

As we all know, Bee-Line Bus System began the usage of the MetroCard's on the buses, wouldn't it be nice if NJ Transit would accept MetroCard's on their buses too??? Bee-Line Bus System, MTA Long Island Bus and PATH Uses MetroCard's, Why not the NJ Transit Buses???

(MTA) Long Island Bus started to use Metro-Cards 6 months-1 year when they came out as well the ex-PBL's. Westchester Bee Line was last year and PATH was 2 yrs (IIRC). As of (NJT) using the Metro-Cards.....not going to happen @ all why b/c not (NJT) buses run only in New Jersey they run throughout Philly and its different prices/zones and also the buses don't have a farebox!

They are not connected at all aside from "pool" commuter rail service from hoboken. That system uses train ticket/pass & seat check system, not swiped cards.

In theory you could do it, but it would be better to create a unified pass/card that works on PATH/(MTA)/(NJT)/(SEPTA).

- A

I'm completely NJT ignorant...lol. Is there a MetroCard-like thing that's used on NJT, and if so, how can you acquire it in New York City?

For passengers mostly commute on NJ Transit, Red & Tan in Hudson County or NJ Transit's Private Carriers, NJ Transit Weekly and Rail Passes are accepted on bus, well as Burtlink Bus near River Line that depends on fare zone #s printed on.

(MTA) Long Island Bus started to use Metro-Cards 6 months-1 year when they came out as well the ex-PBL's. Westchester Bee Line was last year and PATH was 2 yrs (IIRC). As of (NJT) using the Metro-Cards.....not going to happen @ all why b/c not (NJT) buses run only in New Jersey they run throughout Philly and its different prices/zones and also the buses don't have a farebox!

Their flexbles and RTS's have fareboxes, don't know about their MCI's since i never rode on them.

There is no rail to rail connection. Bus customers get a bus ticket/pass.

Metrocard is good for ROIC tramway, MTA busses, subway, and PATH.

LIRR, MNRR are not interchangeable either.

Amtrak/NJT are not interchangeable, same with SEPTA, and neither is amtrak/MNRR/LIRR.

SEPTA tickets can be purchased from some but not all NJT TVM's & manned ticket booths.

Paper metrocards can be purchased at select LIRR TVM's. I am unsure about MNRR and metrocard.

- A

Their flexbles and RTS's have fareboxes, don't know about their MCI's since i never rode on them.

When I took MCI on #408 I think from 6th-Race Sts, it wasn't farebox.

Also, bus driver was giving the change way Transport of Rockland, and COACH USA Inter-Regional and DeCamp #33 does it.

No.

Plain and simple answer.

Their MCI's don't have one....you show them your ticket and you get a yellow receipt!

Actually, not all MCI buses have the same receipt machine anymore.

Some MCIs have new receipt machines, as does some Flxible Metro-Ds in Newark (you can see most buses on the 62 using them). The receipt out of the new machines is a white slip of paper.

Actually, not all MCI buses have the same receipt machine anymore.

Some MCIs have new receipt machines, as does some Flxible Metro-Ds in Newark (you can see most buses on the 62 using them). The receipt out of the new machines is a white slip of paper.

Oh really.....its been a long time since I rode NJT's MCI's

Ok, some points from my various rides on NJT buses.

1. The 126 is an anomaly with fare collection. It's exact fare, but NJT does run MCIs on it during rush hours.

2. The only MCIs with fareboxes were a few MC-9Bs that were at Trans-Hudson Express for the 122, 144, and eventually wound up on the 99S. An MCI on any route, except for the 126 and the afore mentioned Trans-Hudson MC-9Bs means it's full-service. Driver collects money and makes change for passengers.

3. Contractors don't issue the yellow receipts. Transfers from contractors and Coach USA in Newark are gray slips of paper with the most notable markings being three red Xs on the front.

4. Many Flxible suburbans are not fitted with fareboxes, mostly in South Jersey. A few might be in North Jersey.

5. NJT has different fare tables for North and South Jersey routes. There's a seperate fare table for Central Jersey-Hudson County routes (64, 67, and 68) and I'm not sure about the 319 which has a North Jersey terminal, but travels to South Jersey.

1. The 126 is an anomaly with fare collection. It's exact fare, but NJT does run MCIs on it during rush hours.

2. The only MCIs with fareboxes were a few MC-9Bs that were at Trans-Hudson Express for the 122, 144, and eventually wound up on the 99S. An MCI on any route, except for the 126 and the afore mentioned Trans-Hudson MC-9Bs means it's full-service. Driver collects money and makes change for passengers.

3. Contractors don't issue the yellow receipts. Transfers from contractors and Coach USA in Newark are gray slips of paper with the most notable markings being three red Xs on the front.

4. Many Flxible suburbans are not fitted with fareboxes, mostly in South Jersey. A few might be in North Jersey.

5. NJT has different fare tables for North and South Jersey routes. There's a seperate fare table for Central Jersey-Hudson County routes (64, 67, and 68) and I'm not sure about the 319 which has a North Jersey terminal, but travels to South Jersey.

1. MCIs show anytime on the 126, its just more common to see them during the rush hour.

4. Most suburban Metro-Bs have fareboxes, all suburban Metro-Ds have fareboxes (I know all in North Jersey have fareboxes).

5. The fare setup for the 319 is interstate, so it starts with 2 once leaving PABT and then every zone it passes, it adds on. I think in the end, the 319 is at 20 something zones (I THINK). The 64, 67, and 68 is North Jersey Intrastate IIRC.

If the 126 is exact fare, and it is running an MCI, how would one pay the fare?

You give the money to the driver. That's why the MCIs are more common during rush hour. Plus most rush hour riders tend to have monthly passes.

The flexible i rode on the 62 had the mechanical bill feed thing next to a yellow receipt printer.

- A

Standard setup on NJT local buses.

When I took MCI on #408 I think from 6th-Race Sts, it wasn't farebox.

Also, bus driver was giving the change way Transport of Rockland, and COACH USA Inter-Regional and DeCamp #33 does it.

All of our MCIs have no fareboxes and all routes that run MCIs are Full Service meaning the driver makes change. Egg Harbors 501 route requires you have exact change.

NJT has a pass system if you ride the bus every single day, and you buy the number of zones you need to travel. Like ppl that ride the 553 some would buy a 4 zone pass, but if they wana go to Atlantic City they need to pay for the other 7 zones. But alot of them are smart and buy a 11 Zone monthly so they can go anywere on the route. However, the monthly passes are highly expensive and I wouldnt buy them if i dont ride every day; its $145 for a 11 zone pass. A monthy 16 Zone ride from Toms River to New York is something like $340, but its $16 a day if you dont have a pass. You also can buy 10-Trip Tickets but that runs out in 5 days.

You give the money to the driver. That's why the MCIs are more common during rush hour. Plus most rush hour riders tend to have monthly passes.

Standard setup on NJT local buses.

However, Washington TWP's Local routes that runs Flexibles dont have fareboxes, or should I say no route that runs outta Washington TWP has a farebox.

The fare for the 319 is $31 from Atlantic City to New York Round Trip, However from New York to Atlantic City its $51 round trip; the 319 is a Interstate run. The 319 is mostly a South Jersey route, since it does Local Service Between Wildwood & Atlantic City to help out the 552. Medowlands does the Jersey City runs and most of the rush hour 319 trips from NY. Egg Harbor does most of the 319 Trips.

The 319 is 31 Zones but minus 2 it turn out to be 29 Zones.

• 2 weeks later...

No they have "flash" passes. The MCI's are full service lines. The driver accepts cash and makes change while some other lines use transit equipment and are also full service. Local routes have fareboxes. The system is entirely zone based. If you say take the 22 from Hoboken and stay within Hoboken the fare is 1.10. If you continue to Jersey City or West NY the fare is 1.60 and when I worked for Academy and you rode into Cliffside Park you paid a 3rd zone 2.10 these are intrastate zones.There are also interstate zones.

Archived