Eric Adams to involuntary remove mentally ill from the subway system

trainfan22

22 minutes ago, Lex said:

I would expect no more from Eric Adams.

That's exactly what is needed. The subways are not homeless shelters nor rolling cars for the mentally ill, and I strongly believe that a lot of the crime problems in the subway system are being perpetrated by mentally ill individuals.  They'll never get people back to taking the subway if they don't get these people out of the system and treated.  For what it's worth, de Blasio and his wife did nothing with hundreds of millions of dollars from "Thrive" to address the issue, so here we are. 

Every time I'm in Manhattan, the few times that I do go, I seem to encounter mentally ill people roaming about. I was on Madison Av the other day and this guy was just walking and yelling like crazy.  Part of the issue causing so many mentally ill people is we have a serious drug issue - I mean the kind of stuff that sends these people into hallucinations and such. People taking who knows what and then going crazy.  Something no one wants to talk about, but it's all there.

Add that to the lack of psychiatric beds and it's a recipe for disaster.

48 minutes ago, RTOMan said:

They been doing it...

Very quietly..

Anyone whos been "disruptive" and service is affected have had it done

They are just announcing to you folks...

Not enough of it.  NYC is inundated with these people.  Time to clean house  As I said before, a lot of these mentally ill people are chronic drug users (there are countless videos now out with people shooting up on the subways), so of course they don't want treatment.  No other way to deal with the problem.  The Public Advocate Jumaane Williams was on CNN this morning criticizing the decision.  Of course he offers no real solution. About time this administration starts tackling the problem and just admitting what everyone knows regarding the drug problem further exacerbating the issue, otherwise we'll continue to see these random attacks on people just going about their business in the subway system.

There has to be some kind of consistent follow-up with those people that would be hospitalized for this to even be remotely effective. Throwing them in the hospital for a few days and releasing them with no real long-term course of treatment isn't going to solve the issue, because they're going to be on the streets again and find their way right back to where they were. I agree that getting them the help that they need is of utmost importance, it's just how they're going to maintain that channel of help that I'm really skeptical about because that's the vital aspect of rehabilitation. Unless they're kept hospitalized indefinitely, which I'm highly doubtful of because they're not insured at all, I don't think this is going to address the problem. Sure, what it'll do is  temporarily displace them from the subway which is not a bad thing as they're getting help, but how are those people going to continue to get the help they need when they're released and there's no way to keep in contact with them? This idea isn't new, and at the same time I give the thought credit, but the city doesn't care enough about the homeless because there's no money in the problem. It's only when these people are denied help for so long that they start violently attacking people that these politicians start waking up and try to do something about it. This is not as simple as just checking EDP's into the psych ER, medicating them, and discharging them. If it was that simple the problem wouldn't exist anymore. Further, I'm not trusting of any politicians in their motives. Neither side.

1 hour ago, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

There has to be some kind of consistent follow-up with those people that would be hospitalized for this to even be remotely effective. Throwing them in the hospital for a few days and releasing them with no real long-term course of treatment isn't going to solve the issue, because they're going to be on the streets again and find their way right back to where they were. I agree that getting them the help that they need is of utmost importance, it's just how they're going to maintain that channel of help that I'm really skeptical about because that's the vital aspect of rehabilitation. Unless they're kept hospitalized indefinitely, which I'm highly doubtful of because they're not insured at all, I don't think this is going to address the problem. Sure, what it'll do is  temporarily displace them from the subway which is not a bad thing as they're getting help, but how are those people going to continue to get the help they need when they're released and there's no way to keep in contact with them? This idea isn't new, and at the same time I give the thought credit, but the city doesn't care enough about the homeless because there's no money in the problem. It's only when these people are denied help for so long that they start violently attacking people that these politicians start waking up and try to do something about it. This is not as simple as just checking EDP's into the psych ER, medicating them, and discharging them. If it was that simple the problem wouldn't exist anymore. Further, I'm not trusting of any politicians in their motives. Neither side.

The City has been spending record amounts of money on the homeless, so it isn't that they don't care enough.  New York City has extremely friendly homeless policies in the first place and some laws in place actually hamper what the City can't and cannot do to deal with the homeless population.

On 11/30/2022 at 9:13 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

That's exactly what is needed. The subways are not homeless shelters nor rolling cars for the mentally ill, and I strongly believe that a lot of the crime problems in the subway system are being perpetrated by mentally ill individuals.  They'll never get people back to taking the subway if they don't get these people out of the system and treated.  For what it's worth, de Blasio and his wife did nothing with hundreds of millions of dollars from "Thrive" to address the issue, so here we are. 

Every time I'm in Manhattan, the few times that I do go, I seem to encounter mentally ill people roaming about. I was on Madison Av the other day and this guy was just walking and yelling like crazy.  Part of the issue causing so many mentally ill people is we have a serious drug issue - I mean the kind of stuff that sends these people into hallucinations and such. People taking who knows what and then going crazy.  Something no one wants to talk about, but it's all there.

Add that to the lack of psychiatric beds and it's a recipe for disaster.

100% agree; I see these mentally disturbed ppl all the time, everywhere; whether it's in Brooklyn, Manhattan, or anywhere else. It's a chronic problem in this city and has been for a very long time; it's about time they took some real action instead of just talking.

Edited by RandomRider0101

9 minutes ago, RandomRider0101 said:

100% agree; I see these mentally disturbed ppl all the time, everywhere; whether it's in Brooklyn, Manhattan, or anywhere else. It's a chronic problem in this city and has been for a very long time; it's about time they took some real action instead of just talking.

And because these are people that became that way as a result of poor decisions such as rampant drug use, that is why I support this.  They need to be kept and treated until they can fend for themselves and get cleaned up.

20 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Not enough of it.  NYC is inundated with these people.  Time to clean house  As I said before, a lot of these mentally ill people are chronic drug users (there are countless videos now out with people shooting up on the subways), so of course they don't want treatment.  No other way to deal with the problem.  The Public Advocate Jumaane Williams was on CNN this morning criticizing the decision.  Of course he offers no real solution. About time this administration starts tackling the problem and just admitting what everyone knows regarding the drug problem further exacerbating the issue, otherwise we'll continue to see these random attacks on people just going about their business in the subway system.

Patience Rome wasn't Built in a day...

I work PMs and beleive me i see a difference...

Edited by RTOMan

1 hour ago, RTOMan said:

I have not taken the subway in several months (I only used it Manhattan anyway) so I couldn't say, but a big reason I haven't and won't is because of the mentally ill situation.  If I was going off of what I see on the streets though, they've got a long way to go.

36 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I have not taken the subway in several months (I only used it Manhattan anyway) so I couldn't say, but a big reason I haven't and won't is because of the mentally ill situation.  If I was going off of what I see on the streets though, they've got a long way to go.

Hence me saying patience...

Also i can say this a few of those "Mentally ill" folks only act it they aren't..

They aren't acting like that in certain areas because they would be dealt with...

1 hour ago, RTOMan said:

Hence me saying patience...

Also i can say this a few of those "Mentally ill" folks only act it they aren't..

They aren't acting like that in certain areas because they would be dealt with...

Must be a new trend then, but I always thought they were likely just jacked up something. lol Years ago I didn't recall seeing people shooting up in the subway the way I saw before I stopped taking it. There is one station along the (A) where it seemed quite popular.

22 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The City has been spending record amounts of money on the homeless, so it isn't that they don't care enough.  New York City has extremely friendly homeless policies in the first place and some laws in place actually hamper what the City can't and cannot do to deal with the homeless population.

Those laws govern what can and can't be done to the homeless when they're out on the streets. When they're in hospitals it's a different story. My point still stands. They're uninsured and won't have any long-term course of treatment available since medical staff would have no medium to ensure ongoing contact with them to maintain treatment after they've been discharged.

34 minutes ago, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

Those laws govern what can and can't be done to the homeless when they're out on the streets. When they're in hospitals it's a different story. My point still stands. They're uninsured and won't have any long-term course of treatment available since medical staff would have no medium to ensure ongoing contact with them to maintain treatment after they've been discharged.

Ok, so what's your solution then? I have no problem with what's being done. Most of these people are drug addicts that ended up the way that they are because of their own poor decisions. Different situation if they were mentally ill by no fault of their own. The City is expected to keep spending record amounts of money (taxpayer dollars that could be used for things like building more schools or other improvements) on the problem to be "equitable" to people that take more than they give by far. Everyone is human and mistakes are made, but these are people with chronic issues, and I don't think having more social workers come out is going to get anything done either. The biggest critics never seem to offer tangible solutions besides compassion and more wasteful spending. 

If one of your family members were randomly attacked by one of these individuals, I'm sure you'd be singing a different tune.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

25 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Ok, so what's your solution then? I have no problem with what's being done. Most of these people are drug addicts that ended up the way that they are because of their own poor decisions. The City is expected to keep spending record amounts of money (taxpayer dollars that could be used for things like building more schools or other improvements) on the problem to be "equitable" to people that take more than they give by far. Everyone is human and mistakes are made, but these are people with chronic issues, and I don't think having more social workers come out is going to get anything done either. The biggest critics never seem to offer tangible solutions besides compassion and more wasteful spending. 

If one of your family members were randomly attacked by one of these individuals, I'm sure you'd be singing a different tune.

Having the city mandate that those individuals suffering from severe mental illness who pose a threat to others and themselves remain hospitalized at institutions indefinitely until they receive permanent housing and ongoing medical care would be a start. The institutions don't want to foot the bill and have a limited number of beds available, which is why funding should go towards empowering those institutions to better accommodate the number of these individuals. Also, that last snarky bit wasn't remotely amusing. You're real quick to dismiss everyone's posts with your classic starter of "that's not it, it's really about this" act. Nothing but argumentative gibber. You could have the last word, that's what you're always after.

Edited by AlgorithmOfTruth

3 minutes ago, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

Having the city mandate that those individuals suffering from severe mental illness who pose a threat to others and themselves remain hospitalized at institutions indefinitely until they receive permanent housing and ongoing medical care would be a start. The institutions don't want to foot the bill and have a limited number of beds available, which is why funding should go towards empowering those institutions to better accommodate the number of these individuals. Also, that last snarky bit wasn't remotely amusing. You're real quick to dismiss everyone's posts with your classic starter of "that's not it, it's really about this" act. Nothing but argumentative gibber.

It wasn't meant to be "amusing", as there is nothing funny about it.  It's a fact that people like yourself need to think about when you rant and rave about how the City isn't spending enough money, etc., as commuters continue to be randomly attacked and killed.  You talk about "argumentative gibbish", but what I said about how monies have been allocated (or not) is true.  If you were really that outraged about how resources were spent you would be far more critical of how that program "Thrive" was run (or not) to address the very issues you're raising.  There is plenty of money available for what you propose, but how it is being spent is another matter.  The State also recently opened up more beds to accommodate these individuals, which admittedly is a drop in the bucket, but it's a start.

I don't feel the least bit sorry for people that make bad choices and have taken innocent victims down with them.  Those were people that were just going about their business that won't have another chance at life.  These people do that you empathize with do, even if you're not thrilled with the choices being made for them.

And here's another innocent person attacked in the system... Surely this person will be mentally ill too...

During argument in NYC subway station, suspect threw chemical liquid in woman's face: Police

Friday, December 2, 2022 1:08PM

The victim is in the hospital being treated for the burns on her face. Police could not immediately identify the liquid thrown at her.

PROSPECT LEFFERTS GARDENS, Brooklyn (WABC) -- A subway rider in Brooklyn was attacked with an unknown liquid Friday morning.

Officials say the incident happened at between Winthrop Street and Nostrand Avenue in Prospect Lefferts Gardens at around 12:45 a.m.

The 21-year-old victim was standing on a subway platform, when a woman approached her and the two began to argue.

Police say the suspect followed the victim up the station's stairs and then splashed an unknown chemical substance in the victim's face.

The suspect ran from the scene and the victim was taken to Kings County Hospital, where she works, to be treated for her burns to the left side of her face.

She was later transferred to Jacobi Medical Center in critical, but stable condition, officials said.

The suspect was described as a woman between 20 to 30 years old, with black hair, dark complexion and a medium build.

Officials say the suspect was last seen wearing a black jacket with brown fur on the hood, black pants with white drawings on the legs, and black boots.

https://abc7ny.com/woman-burned-brooklyn-subway-crime-unknown-liquid/12518570/?ex_cid=TA_WABC_FB&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A Trending Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR1A5oZKfEmIHqPTm1A4Mt7hRqLtMXk0oht1t7qLbjJvcOAC6UZl0dcjqE0

You could write a book on how often such incidents are happening.

11 hours ago, RTOMan said:

You work PMs where? In your sleep? Because I work between AM into PMs and I see no difference. In fact, I see the same characters at the same stations. And still see forts or encampments at the ends/beginning of platforms. And what do police do? NOTHING. The customers ignore it. The problem will continued to be ignored.

3 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Adams also needs to do full enforcement on fare evasion, full stop. How much of the mentally ill got on the subway by fare beating?

That’s never gonna stop. So many people are used to the non consequential nature of fare evasion it’s second nature now. They need to criminalize it and publicize it. And they have to get rid of the turnstiles and replace them with HEETs. And also that emergency exit door should remained locked! 

27 minutes ago, VIP said:

That’s never gonna stop. So many people are used to the non consequential nature of fare evasion it’s second nature now. They need to criminalize it and publicize it. And they have to get rid of the turnstiles and replace them with HEETs. And also that emergency exit door should remained locked! 

You know as well as I do with the current political climate that's never going to change. There should be absolutely no reason a bus operator should be booed and shunned by other passengers for refusing to move until someone pays.