Dual Employment at MTA?

Lawrence St

Hello all,

As many of you know I work at NJT and plan on transitioning to MTA to the railroad. I was offered a part time job at NJT as a compromise, and was wondering how strict (MTA) is with dual employment? My part time duties would be no more then 3 or 4 hour shifts that I'd like to do on my days off. Would this be possible?

Thanks

5 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Hello all,

As many of you know I work at NJT and plan on transitioning to MTA to the railroad. I was offered a part time job at NJT as a compromise, and was wondering how strict (MTA) is with dual employment? My part time duties would be no more then 3 or 4 hour shifts that I'd like to do on my days off. Would this be possible?

Thanks

They are extremely strict and your request for dual employment will most likely be denied. 

1 hour ago, lornaevo said:

They are extremely strict and your request for dual employment will most likely be denied. 

Why are they strict? if I do it on my off days what reasoning could they have for denying it? NYCT is much more relaxed with that policy and they do the same things we do.

9 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Why are they strict? if I do it on my off days what reasoning could they have for denying it? NYCT is much more relaxed with that policy and they do the same things we do.

“Safety issue”. If you are in a safety sensitive position they want you to have 8 hours off before you report to work. Almost everyone gets denied for a second job. 

By simply filling out that Dual form you'll have to go through layers of management scrutiny. And it's simply at times just not a good look, nor does it help that you'll likely have to wait for a no or no go on it. At the same time they might claim a conflict of interest being that it's NJT. It's a tough sell, and it's all in their hands. While it may seem like a simple thing on your end, they likely will make it quite complicated and to your detriment. Thread carefully with it. 

55 minutes ago, Alucard said:

By simply filling out that Dual form you'll have to go through layers of management scrutiny. And it's simply at times just not a good look, nor does it help that you'll likely have to wait for a no or no go on it. At the same time they might claim a conflict of interest being that it's NJT. It's a tough sell, and it's all in their hands. While it may seem like a simple thing on your end, they likely will make it quite complicated and to your detriment. Thread carefully with it. 

A conflict of interest that it's NJT? These are two completely different positions with no correlation to the other that don't even conflict with each other. I get what your saying, but that's wild.

24 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

A conflict of interest that it's NJT? These are two completely different positions with no correlation to the other that don't even conflict with each other. I get what your saying, but that's wild.

You should know by now that it's a liability issue with the accidents that have occurred over the years.  They don't want someone burning the candles at both ends so to speak. You need to be focused on one job, as you are operating with hundreds of passengers on board throughout the day. If you want to work for one or the other, do that and apply for overtime with the place you're working for, which is very likely to be available.  The likelihood of you working at both places is slim to none.  

14 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

Why work at both jobs when it's not paying you time and a half? The MTA (if you're working hourly) will pay you overtime if you ask for it. You're already working on your RDO so you might as well make time and a half doing so.

Pension, that's why. I'm locked into my pension at NJT.

17 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Pension, that's why. I'm locked into my pension at NJT.

Be prepared to make a decision either way. If you lie and one of them finds out, you can definitely be terminated.  Some workers have side hustles and they keep quiet about it, and it's not with two different transit agencies either. Even in that case you can be terminated.