Fare Evading Scofflaw Threatens MTA Driver

Lawrence St

It’s not going to be resolved as long as our politicians continue to be soft on crime and make excuses for certain groups of people to do what they do. The ills of our society is a direct reflection of the leadership from the top and for many of them as long as they and their friends and family are alright who cares about everyone else on the bottom. Maybe if New York City residents would vote differently instead of defaulting to voting in the same old kind of politicians that do nothing else but tickle their ears maybe we might get some tangible results. Until then don’t expect anything to change. 

4 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

It’s not going to be resolved as long as our politicians continue to be soft on crime and make excuses for certain groups of people to do what they do. The ills of our society is a direct reflection of the leadership from the top and for many of them as long as they and their friends and family are alright who cares about everyone else on the bottom. Maybe if New York City residents would vote differently instead of defaulting to voting in the same old kind of politicians that do nothing else but tickle their ears maybe we might get some tangible results. Until then don’t expect anything to change. 

I don't know why I have to say this, but Eric Adams was a cop.

43 minutes ago, Lex said:

Lol I don’t know why either, but I already knew he was a cop. That was one of the most highlighted things about Adams while he was running for mayor

I was reading the chief magazine and there is an article in it discussing how officers are resigning and quitting in record numbers. A few dudes I went to school with are NYPD officers and they themselves want to leave because of the lack of respect and terrible policies overall. Then you arrest people who legit are trouble makers and then they get released right back out on the street. So what message does that give to criminals? 

14 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Lol I don’t know why either, but I already knew he was a cop. That was one of the most highlighted things about Adams while he was running for mayor

I was reading the chief magazine and there is an article in it discussing how officers are resigning and quitting in record numbers. A few dudes I went to school with are NYPD officers and they themselves want to leave because of the lack of respect and terrible policies overall. Then you arrest people who legit are trouble makers and then they get released right back out on the street. So what message does that give to criminals? 

How often does that actually happen, though?

On 1/9/2023 at 6:57 PM, Lex said:

Why does that matter? Sure, he ran on the "law & order" campaign, but he also presented himself as a "Progressive" (these days, everyone is supposedly a "Progressive").  Regardless, much of what he wants to do requires changes to certain laws at the State level, which is why he went to Albany earlier on in his term.  The cops can arrest all they want.  The Manhattan DA has already said that he is NOT prosecuting what he considers low level offenses or non-violent crimes such as farebeating.  That doesn't leave the cops in a position of power.  I'm not sure why there's a disconnect, but a number of people seem to blame the police for things that are out of their control. 

As far as I'm concerned, when you don't prosecute low level offenses, you open the door to much more egregious ones.  There was a stat out recently (I forget from where), but it noted that a chunk of the low level offenses are being done by serial repeat offenders who are involved in much more violent crimes and these are the types of individuals going around doing things like this guy, so as far as I'm concerned, NY State has opened the door to a lot of the issues we're seeing now.

Adams may be a "law & order" Mayor, but a number of his colleagues both at the City & State level have been quite resistant to making some of the changes that are needed, including Governor Hochul.  She claims she's open to more "tweaks" to the package of laws that were modified recently that included changes to bail reform, but clearly they didn't go far enough. I agree with @NewFlyer 230.  The amount of theft (both of goods and services) is a huge indicator of what is wrong with our City and State. This isn't even about progressive vs. conservative. It's just common sense. If someone is repeatedly stealing goods or services, there should be consequences for it because none of this is free.  The (MTA) will get the money it needs, either via the State/City and/or via fare hikes, so someone will always pay for those that aren't, whether it's just or not. 

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8