MTA proposed fare hikes 2023 some good and some bad

mikecintel

Hi Everyone,
I know everyone hates fare increase even I do but then I realized that it is good and bad about this time around.   The MTA wants to raise it from $2.75 to $2.90.   Have anyone thought about for the OMNY if it is $34 for 7 days then you would need 11 rides (34/2.90 =11.xx) and it will be free after the 11 rides?  Where as now for $33 for 7 days using OMNY you will be after the 12 rides (33/2.75=12)  then it will be free.

As for the LIRR if you are going to be a city zone for the 1st time they will have the FLAT RATE of $7 and it will be for PEAK which is better because currently if it is peak you have to pay $10.75 for PEAK trains going into the city within Zone 3 to Zone 1.  You will be savings $3.75 but it is better then nothing.  The GOOD news is that for the off peak it will say at $5.00 for the LIRR.
As for the MNR it will also be good news because it will have a FLAT RATE of $7 the same as the LIRR within City zones between the Bronx and Grand Central.

As for the BAD part some LIRR commuters will have to pay a expensive $500 (cap) for the unlimited (monthly) ticket and too that is ridiculous.  To Some extent for the LIRR I agree with the LIRR if the DO increase the fares because there is "some" good news to it and not all bad news.  As for the MNR I don't take so I can't comment on that.

For the MTA I wish they don't increase the fares but what can you do and it can't be always $2.75 forever. Forever the price $2.75 is nice but it is not possible.

In addition

OMNY weekly cap will be on a rolling basis instead of fixed Mon - Sun

For LIRR/MNR off peak "discount" will be set uniformly at 26% (MNR offers 25% and LIRR offers 27% right now)  (LIRR is notoriously overpriced so that is probably why). Which means LIRR will have a higher off peak price increase and MNR a lower one

Express bus will be $7, compared to local buses being at $2.90. % increases will always impact modes with higher prices

No impact on fares for the 37% of the passenger and growing on buses and 15% on the subway who currently pay a reduced fare of $0 by refusing to donate to the MTA with no consequences

22 minutes ago, Mtatransit said:

For LIRR/MNR off peak "discount" will be set uniformly at 26% (MNR offers 25% and LIRR offers 27% right now)  (LIRR is notoriously overpriced so that is probably why). Which means LIRR will have a higher off peak price increase and MNR a lower one

Aren't the fares rounded to the nearest quarter anyways? That's hardly going to affect the price at the end of the day especially if that only applies to single-fare one-way off-peak tickets.

26 minutes ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

As many of us know, the 2010 "bailout" specifically requires fare and toll increases every two years in perpetuity.  Of course, the politicians who enacted that law back then are the same ones who now complain that the MTA is complying with it.

Not to mention the riding public and our “knowledgeable “ posters who conveniently overlook the fact that fares weren’t raised at the height of the pandemic. Carry on.

5 minutes ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Not to mention the riding public and our “knowledgeable “ posters who conveniently overlook the fact that fares weren’t raised at the height of the pandemic. Carry on.

I wondered about that at the time. The MTA must have gotten "special dispensation" to skip that one.

I hope there is a huge crackdown on farebeating because there is a large percentage of people who currently use the bus and train but don’t pay. When this fare hike goes into effect people like myself who still pays the fare will be stuck paying more while you‘ll still have a bunch of people still getting free rides.

I know I’m part of the extreme minority on what I’m about to say but why not have the fare $3 even instead of $2.90. I know many NY’ers will lose their cool seeing $3 fare but $2.90 just seems more troublesome versus keeping the fare payable by using quarters only. It’s not a big deal but it’s interesting to see them raise it 15 cents instead of the whole 25 cents like they have done the last few fare increases. 

1 hour ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

As many of us know, the 2010 "bailout" specifically requires fare and toll increases every two years in perpetuity.  Of course, the politicians who enacted that law back then are the same ones who now complain that the MTA is complying with it.

Politics in this city is something else 😂😂

What the hell is the use of $7 express buses just to go from another borough to manhattan this will decrease ridership on these buses and more subway fare evasion will be encouraged if any thing they should do what bee-line is doing by making there buses fare-free in the summer this could really help mta or even decrease pricing and the sad part is this can effect Bee-line and Nice if you rely on Bee-line's Bxm4c just hope these fare hikes don't effect the route. 

2 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

In addition

OMNY weekly cap will be on a rolling basis instead of fixed Mon - Sun

Express bus will be $7, compared to local buses being at $2.90. % increases will always impact modes with higher prices

No impact on fares for the 37% of the passenger and growing on buses and 15% on the subway who currently pay a reduced fare of $0 by refusing to donate to the MTA with no consequences

Oh yes right.  I forgot about that and it is consider "Good News"  My question so if it is "off peak' beside the city zones I wonder how much it would be then the other off peak fares?  I don't take the MNR and what is the off peak rate now for MNR?  If the express will be $7 then it will be the same price for the city tickets "peak" fares for the LIRR because it will be $7 also.

49 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I hope there is a huge crackdown on farebeating because there is a large percentage of people who currently use the bus and train but don’t pay. When this fare hike goes into effect people like myself who still pays the fare will be stuck paying more while you‘ll still have a bunch of people still getting free rides.

I know I’m part of the extreme minority on what I’m about to say but why not have the fare $3 even instead of $2.90. I know many NY’ers will lose their cool seeing $3 fare but $2.90 just seems more troublesome versus keeping the fare payable by using quarters only. It’s not a big deal but it’s interesting to see them raise it 15 cents instead of the whole 25 cents like they have done the last few fare increases. 

I agree with you they should make it $3 even and don't tell the next increase will be $0.10 to make it $3.  Well in Canada Toronto it is $3.35CAD currently without converting to US dollars and seniors $2.30CAD and for youth (13-19) it is $2.40CAD.  So I can't complain about raising to $3 because in other countries it is already $3 and higher.

16 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Where on the MTA website is the full fare hike proposal? 

I saw the meeting and Deputy Chief Financial Officer Jai Patel said she will post it by the end of this week or next week but I "think" it will be posted tomorrow for discussion and public engagement.  Meanwhile you can read from channel 7 news https://abc7ny.com/mta-fare-hike-subway-bus/13287879/

Edited by mikecintel

1 hour ago, 40 to 241st said:

What the hell is the use of $7 express buses just to go from another borough to manhattan this will decrease ridership on these buses and more subway fare evasion will be encouraged if any thing they should do what bee-line is doing by making there buses fare-free in the summer this could really help mta or even decrease pricing and the sad part is this can effect Bee-line and Nice if you rely on Bee-line's Bxm4c just hope these fare hikes don't effect the route. 

and where is the money gonna come from for these fare free buses that you're talking about? Bee line and NICE have routes operating at best every 15 min. MTA is every 2-4 min in comparison on some routes. 

8 minutes ago, Jdog14 said:

and where is the money gonna come from for these fare free buses that you're talking about? Bee line and NICE have routes operating at best every 15 min. MTA is every 2-4 min in comparison on some routes. 

That's easy the government, the city, the state could give them money aren't they doing that already. Bee-line's max frequency is like 9min at best Like the W4 in the morning. Just b/c a bus service has high frequency dosen't mean they can't be fare-free and that would just be a temporary thing.  

17 minutes ago, 40 to 241st said:

That's easy the government, the city, the state could give them money aren't they doing that already. Bee-line's max frequency is like 9min at best Like the W4 in the morning. Just b/c a bus service has high frequency dosen't mean they can't be fare-free and that would just be a temporary thing.  

Fare free means that tax payers will pay more to fund the free service. Yes you will be able to walk on the bus or train without having to tap or dip a card but this money has to come from somewhere. The government can’t just print out money out of thin air to support such a thing. Everything has to be done through a budget. 

Edited by NewFlyer 230

7 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Fare free means that tax payers will pay more to fund the free service. Yes you will be able to walk on the bus or train without having to tap or dip a card but this money has to come from somewhere. The government can’t just print out money out of thin air to support such a thing. Everything has to be done through a budget. 

Yes that is true and there is no such thing as a "free lunch".

4 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

The reason why farebeating exists is because the MTA keeps raising the damn price, this is ridiculous, I don’t blame them at all.

1 minute ago, Chris89292 said:

The reason why farebeating exists is because the MTA keeps raising the damn price, this is ridiculous, I don’t blame them at all.

No people farebeat mainly because they know they can get away with it. Most MTA employees are not going to confront a farebeater and risk getting hurt because they talked to the wrong one. A lot of the people who farebeat are not as poor as they want you to think, but rather irresponsible and simply don’t care about paying. 

8 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Well if it's permanently free them of course tax payers would pay more but I said temporarily and the point would be to save money though so I'm sure we could find away without effecting taxes 

6 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

No people farebeat mainly because they know they can get away with it. Most MTA employees are not going to confront a farebeater and risk getting hurt because they talked to the wrong one. A lot of the people who farebeat are not as poor as they want you to think, but rather irresponsible and simply don’t care about paying. 

I would say fare beating exist for both reasons not just b/c people can get away w/ it but there's alot of the struggling living in New York how else would you see homeless on the subway.  

13 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I'm telling you guys, what the MTA needs are the stop-and-shop Marty robots to stun farebeaters if they try to farebeat, or armed guards that are willing to shoot passengers that do not comply with paying the fare. I always shut the emergency exit door so that way people can't just farebeat by walking thru the doors, because farebeating can lead to service cuts.

27 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

I'm telling you guys, what the MTA needs are the stop-and-shop Marty robots to stun farebeaters if they try to farebeat, or armed guards that are willing to shoot passengers that do not comply with paying the fare. I always shut the emergency exit door so that way people can't just farebeat by walking thru the doors, because farebeating can lead to service cuts.

Shooting passengers for not paying the fare? That sounds a tad bit extreme to me. The only time that would be justified is if someone has a weapon on them. Otherwise this is not a smart idea at all, and it would be a disaster waiting to happen.

Edited by RandomRider0101
Added additional info.

7 hours ago, 40 to 241st said:

Well if it's permanently free them of course tax payers would pay more but I said temporarily and the point would be to save money though so I'm sure we could find away without effecting taxes 

I would say fare beating exist for both reasons not just b/c people can get away w/ it but there's alot of the struggling living in New York how else would you see homeless on the subway.  

Fare beating exists because there are no consequences. Period. If food at the grocery stores were free to take, nobody will pay. Not the poor, not the rich, maybe some will donate. We essentially operate the transit system based on a donation model today

Question: If you weren't a transit fan, why would you pay? Nobody else does

At no point in time will free transit EVER save money, not for one day, not for one hour. It will always be a revenue loss, with no benefits to anyone. I much prefer more service over free service. More subway service on weekends, more buses more often to more places. This free thing has to stop, its nothing but brainless progressive politicians trying to act like they care, in reality they have no plan to improve the system other than that

35 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

Woah that quite an escalation. 

The thing is when you have the armed guards out with even the person fixing the machine, that enough will deter most of the fare beaters already.

What they really need is undercover plain clothes police officers standing near the turnstiles catching people like they used to. This way people have no clue if there is a police officer at the station, and they will always have to be more aware that there is a chance they will be caught. Currently you see a police, you can just go to another entrance