MaBSTOA B/O Exams - No Fee to Apply!! (Open Until Further Notice)

+Young+
Message added by +Young+,

As a friendly reminder, when you submit your online application, you must have either your Class B CDL (Commercial Driver License) or your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner Permit) with the Passenger "P" endorsement. They will run your abstract prior to you reporting for pre-employment, therefore, as long as you have the temporary paper permit from the Department of Motor Vehicles, you will be fine.

If you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement. If you would like and/or need more information into obtaining your Commercial Driver's License (CDL), click here.

When you are ready to go to the Department of Motor Vehicles, click here to make a reservation for yourself.

Good luck!!

(Updated 3/19/2024)

Here is the Notice of Examination. As per this document, testing is expected to begin in July of 2023.

If you need help obtaining your Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would recommend utilizing cristcdl.com. Just remember that the multiple choice examinations that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes, and Passenger Endorsement.

Good luck!!

Edited by +Young+

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, lornaevo said:

Does anyone have study materials for this?

I would recommend the NYPD Test Prep Kit. Although it is outdated, the topics match the description of what will be on the multiple-choice test. Just note that the questions will be geared towards a Bus Operator and not a Police Officer, that's all.

Edited by +Young+

• +Young+ changed the title to MaBSTOA B/O Exam # 4110 - No Fee to Apply!!
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hard to tell, because it seems like they are not getting enough applicants to close out this current application period, but then again it could just be me. Maybe someone else could shed some more light on this question.

On 7/21/2023 at 5:24 PM, Romeo Bennett said:

Hey y’all I just applied for MaBSTOA - Bus Operator and I know some people went for testing on July 6th but does anyone know when the next testing period is thanks in advance 

I took mine on the 19th you’ll get an email like 3 weeks before your exam. They’re going to keep giving exams every week until at least October. Make sure you’re there early, and have your CDL Permit with Airbrakes and passenger on you, a few people thought it was a joke and didn’t have it yet, and got sent back home. Out of the approx 35 people that showed up, 16 of us took the exam. 

On 7/22/2023 at 2:36 AM, Manski said:

Hard to tell, because it seems like they are not getting enough applicants to close out this current application period, but then again it could just be me. Maybe someone else could shed some more light on this question.

I’m sure enough people are applying. I even saw active bus drivers in uniform from Westchester County Bee Line, and Nassau County NICE inside the exam room taking the test with me. 
When I saw the NOE when first published, it stated that the application period is going to end around September 30th. IMO there might be too many people applying, and they’re probably going to have to weed out candidates. 

22 hours ago, DEE123 said:

I took mine on the 19th you’ll get an email like 3 weeks before your exam. They’re going to keep giving exams every week until at least October. Make sure you’re there early, and have your CDL Permit with Airbrakes and passenger on you, a few people thought it was a joke and didn’t have it yet, and got sent back home. Out of the approx 35 people that showed up, 16 of us took the exam. 

Ok I see thanks for the update I’ll make sure to bring my cdl permit with me. 

23 minutes ago, Romeo Bennett said:

Ah ok so I have 7 points on my license. Do you think I’ll still be able to get the job or would I have to wait for some points to fall off my license 

I don’t know how the process works. If I were in a situation like that I would go to the DMV and talk to them, ask what date the points on your license expire and if there are any ways to get the points taken off your record. I recommend taking the exam anyway and filing for the upcoming NYCT B/O exam. 

8 hours ago, Romeo Bennett said:

Ah ok so I have 7 points on my license. Do you think I’ll still be able to get the job or would I have to wait for some points to fall off my license 

7 hours ago, DEE123 said:

I don’t know how the process works. If I were in a situation like that I would go to the DMV and talk to them, ask what date the points on your license expire and if there are any ways to get the points taken off your record. I recommend taking the exam anyway and filing for the upcoming NYCT B/O exam. 

You have to wait until the points fall off. From the perspective of NYC Transit's Human Resources Department, those famous "Defensive Driving Classes" are useless. Sorry.

As a suggestion, have you considered running off your abstract? From prior experience, if you run off your standard driving record, you will see what is on your record. Just note that they only look back at your abstract for the past three [3] years.

I would also recommend filing for the upcoming NYC Transit Bus Operator exams as well, starting in September. What's good about those is that it falls under the heading of "Civil Service," which means that you can restore your name to the list a maximum of three [3] times, and those lists are active for a minimum of four [4] calendar years.

Good luck!!

29 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

You have to wait until the points fall off. From the perspective of NYC Transit's Human Resources Department, those famous "Defensive Driving Classes" are useless. Sorry.

As a suggestion, have you considered running off your abstract? From prior experience, if you run off your standard driving record, you will see what is on your record. Just note that they only look back at your abstract for the past three [3] years.

I would also recommend filing for the upcoming NYC Transit Bus Operator exams as well, starting in September. What's good about those is that it falls under the heading of "Civil Service," which means that you can restore your name to the list a maximum of three [3] times, and those lists are active for a minimum of four [4] calendar years.

Good luck!!

8 hours ago, DEE123 said:

Ok I’ll see if I can pull my abstract from dmv. Thanks for the info.

• +Young+ changed the title to MaBSTOA B/O Exam # 4111 - No Fee to Apply!!
On 7/30/2023 at 12:56 PM, DEE123 said:

I just noticed they never gave us the answer sheet to fill out like they did when I took 3601. 
I also heard that they used to give people random list numbers after the exam was over is that still the case? 

Random list numbers were when they issued the BOSS. I believe those days are over. 

On 8/1/2023 at 11:09 AM, lornaevo said:

Random list numbers were when they issued the BOSS. I believe those days are over. 

If it’s not random list numbers then I hope they call quick. I think I only got one of the questions wrong on the memory portion. I had to really think, and forced myself to make up any answer because my head was pounding from thinking so hard and I was still in the beginning of the exam. I really don’t know how anybody can get less than 90% on these exams. It reminds me of the exams I took in the 2nd grade for fun.