MTA Bus Company B/O Exams - No Fee to Apply!! (Open Until Further Notice)

+Young+
Message added by +Young+,

As a friendly reminder, when you submit your online application, you must have either your Class B CDL (Commercial Driver License) or your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner Permit) with the Passenger "P" endorsement. They will run your abstract prior to you reporting for pre-employment. Therefore, as long as you have your temporary, or paper permit from the Department of Motor Vehicles, you will be fine.

If you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement. If you would like and/or need more information into obtaining your Commercial Driver's License (CDL), click here.

When you are ready to go to the Department of Motor Vehicles, click here to make a reservation for yourself.

Good luck!!

(Updated 3/19/2024)

Click here for the Notice of Examination. As per this document, testing is expected to begin in July.

If you need help obtaining your Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would recommend utilizing cristcdl.com. Just remember that the multiple choice examinations that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes, and Passenger Endorsement.

Good luck!!

• 2 weeks later...

3 hours ago, DEE123 said:

How long are you on the list when you take the exam and pass?

As per the Job Description, since they want you to have either the Commercial Learner Permit (CLP) or the Commercial Driver License (CDL) by the time you take the examination, I have a "gut" feeling that you won't be on the list for that long, since they will send the list up to the 5th Floor of 180 Livingston Street to start the pre-employment process so "hopefully" they can fill their vacancies the fastest they can as soon as they are done grading the examination.

1 hour ago, DEE123 said:

I took the boss for 9309 but I failed do I have a chance this time or do you only take it once and that’s it?

They stopped administering the BOSS a few years ago. Going forward, you should not have to worry about this.

18 minutes ago, DEE123 said:

Thank god. And one more question:
what is the neck measurement supposed to be before they put you on medical review for sleep apnea? 

Amen! I also found the BOSS to be annoying and unfair as well, so you're not the only one who had that problem.

As far as the neck measurement, if you play around with Google, you will see that if it's greater than 16 inches for a woman or 17 inches for a man, then they will put you on hold for Sleep Apnea. In addition, have you played around with the Body Mass Index Calculator? After entering your information, if your Body Mass Index (BMI) is over 35.0, then they will also put you on hold for Sleep Apnea as well.

Hey guys another question. I been looking all over for medical information but cannot find it. What exactly does the medical consist of? 
Also is the medical you do in bus company or surface any different than TA or is it the exact same process? I’m hearing you just do a regular DOT while others taking other exams are doing EKG’s

9 hours ago, DEE123 said:

Hey guys another question. I been looking all over for medical information but cannot find it. What exactly does the medical consist of? 
Also is the medical you do in bus company or surface any different than TA or is it the exact same process? I’m hearing you just do a regular DOT while others taking other exams are doing EKG’s

Although this is a little outdated, in 2018 a thread was created specifically for this purpose which can be found here. The medical for TA (NYC Transit) is the same for OA (MaBSTOA), MTA Bus Company, Conductor, Track Worker, Train Operator, etc.

From what I recall from late 2013 into early 2014, this is not a regular DOT physical, in which they basically check your vision (by using a chart), blood pressure, and for excessive sugar in your urine. In lieu, they will do their "own" medical which includes, but not limited to, checking your blood pressure in both arms, vision (by using a microscope), EKG, doing different movements (which they never do for a DOT physical), etc.

As a side note, in December of 2013, I was initially diagnosed by the MAC (Medical Assessment Center) with muscular dystrophy. However, after going to a neurologist, getting some tests done, etc., I was further diagnosed with muscle spasm. Therefore, if they initially diagnose you with something, don't believe them 100%. They just want to make sure the agency is covered in the event something happens, that's all.

3 hours ago, someblackkid said:

does the MTA consider a permit also as a drivers license? On the NOE it says i need atleast 3 years with a drivers license and Ive had my class D for 2 and a half years and my permit for 6 months.

You need 3 years+ with your license. Permits don't count towards this requirement

20 hours ago, DEE123 said:

What happened to the exam? 

With the fact that the Job Description is still valid, it seems that something happened "Behind the Scenes" which caused them to temporarily take this down.

Hopefully by July 1st (which falls on a Saturday), this will be rectified.

• +Young+ changed the title to MTA Bus Company B/O Exam # 4311 - No Fee to Apply!!
4 hours ago, someblackkid said:

just invited to take the exam on july 18th

Did you get an email or an envelope? The USPS has been unreliable the past year. there are times that i go 5 days without mail and suddenly I get mail from other houses.