What Happens when you cross an R62 and a R142..

Dave160

They did it intentionally to render it into a R142A mock-up. It's not that creepy to me, as I heard of many transit agencies turn a set of cars into something totally different. The TTC took a T1 subway car and made it into a "Rocket"... (the mock-up is pretty grotesque, mind me)...

However, the purpose for this transition is quite odd... turning this into a "NTT" for a film! Wow... I think, in the future, when the R62s have ended their lives, this car will be preserved (just like how the French Connection R42s cars are being preserved), but again, it is too far in the future to think about.

I heard sum1 said the reason why it was changed from an R62 to 142 is becuz in the movie [1974] u can see that one of the hijacker had easily decoupled the train and backed it up, with the brake on one of the R22 cant remember. Anyways its easier to do it then the NTTs

I heard sum1 said the reason why it was changed from an R62 to 142 is becuz in the movie [1974] u can see that one of the hijacker had easily decoupled the train and backed it up, with the brake on one of the R22 cant remember. Anyways its easier to do it then the NTTs

Yup that's correct, in the movie they cut the first car and to do that he reverse runs from the second car. They probably wanted the look and feel of an R142 because that's what people see riding the (6) but the logistics of being able to follow the movie plot which an R62A single allowed them

It seems stupid, but isn't the deal with the MTA that the producers must pay for the car to be downgraded back to a functioning R62 in the end? (Thought I read that somewhere)

When something like that is done for a movie the studio typically pays for everything

I know. That's not what I meant. :)

I mean, it would be stupid for the MTA to actually go through with it. The car will be more valuable as-is if the film is successful.

I can see it now:

-Train pulls into station-

"Hey, isn't this the subway car we saw in that movie yesterday?"

Is the Pelham 123 gonna take place on the Lex line too? cuz it would be stupid converting stations to look like it.. If so, expect sum1 during the movie to say!

Its PELHAM 123 :D

They should be on the Lex.

I know in Toronto, they used the Lower Bay station as Canal Street on the (6) line. Forgot which movie though.

subway-5010-01.jpg

subway-5010-02.jpg

subway-5010-03.jpg

subway-5010-04.jpg

subway-5010-05.jpg

subway-5010-06.jpg

subway-5010-07.jpg

subway-5010-08.jpg

subway-5010-09.jpg

subway-5010-10.jpg

subway-5010-11.jpg

http://transit.toronto.on.ca/subway/5010.shtml

They should be on the Lex.

I know in Toronto, they used the Lower Bay station as Canal Street on the (6) line. Forgot which movie though.

Coincidentally... Pelham 123

Although I have heard that they used the Flushing line to stand in for the Pelham line. Which would make no sense at all.

Coincidentally... Pelham 123

Although I have heard that they used the Flushing line to stand in for the Pelham line. Which would make no sense at all.

The original Taking of the Pelham 123??? Wow. I mean, wow. Nice take on subway architecture... they really need to hire a New York graffiti artist to do a real hit. That graffiti is like nothing compared to the 80s.

I don't know about the (7) though.

The original Taking of the Pelham 123??? Wow. I mean, wow. Nice take on subway architecture... they really need to hire a New York graffiti artist to do a real hit. That graffiti is like nothing compared to the 80s.

I don't know about the (7) though.

Not the original... the TV remake. Which apparently sucked.

From Wiki.

They actually did an OK job with that set. Compare MTR's pictures to these from nycsubway.org. Besides the color of the columns, the type on the column signs, the placement of the signs on the columns, tile differences, and the fact that Canal St. is a side-platform station while Lower Bay is an island platform station, 'tis a good job.

You know it would be better if this train was about GOING to pelham not downtown via SF loop :)

I believe callsigns for trains are the place they originated from, so I hear, which is why a downtown train would be called the Pelham 123 (place of origination, and scheduled departure time?). Ask one of the T/O's here. They can make sure.

Archived