Which old NYC Subway car should retire first?

Kexpress

Which old NYC Subway car should retire first?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Which old NYC Subway car should retire first?

I would get the falling apart ones off the operating fleet first, even if it is very young, like 30 years old... I don't care about age. I care about safety and reliability of the cars, again not the age...

This is my take:

1st to retire: R-38.

2nd: R-40 (not-slanted).

3rd: R-42.

4th: R-40 (slanted).

5th: R-32...

I will have to disagree with you Awwang.

Here my list which subway car should retire

1st to retire:R32

2nd:R38

3rd: R40 slant

4th: R40M

5th:R42

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hold on, wait. So let's say that the R32s are 50 years old. And the R38s are 40. Hypothetically, since obviously these are not the real ages of the cars. Let's also say that the R32s are in better running condition than the R38s, which are practically falling apart. Again, hypothetically, i.e. for this example only.

Would you want to retire the decade-older R32 first, even if it runs better than a "newer" car? Or would you want to get the liability out of the way first?

R32 are also in bad shape and falling apart also. Yes I would want the R32 to retire first. The R32 is the oldest and it needs to go and just because the body is made of steel doesn't mean it was last long.

1) It does make sence.

2) I think what I think

3)The codition can be input if they want to.

1) It doesn't make sense if they're better suited to remain in service over the others, despite a few year age difference.

2) Yes, you can think whatever you would like, even say that the R-143s should go first, but I might inquire as to why you think that.

3) Okay, and they seem to be doing that to some extent. The Coney Island overhauled R-42s have been gone for a while now even though they're newer than some of the other SMEEs.

1) It doesn't make sense if they're better suited to remain in service over the others, despite a few year age difference.

2) Yes, you can think whatever you would like, even say that the R-143s should go first, but I might inquire as to why you think that.

3) Okay, and they seem to be doing that to some extent. The Coney Island overhauled R-42s have been gone for a while now even though they're newer than some of the other SMEEs.

1) Yes it does make sence,The R32 should retire first because it's old and its not in great shape.

2)no comment.

3) I know the R42 from the C.I has been retire already. The R32 is also in poor codition.

1) Yes it does make sence,The R32 should retire first because it's old and its not in great shape.

2)no comment.

3) I know the R42 from the C.I has been retire already. The R32 is also in poor codition.

1) By the very fact that the CI R-42s retired before them, I guess not.

3) They're ALL on they're way out. There's plenty of rust on the roofs of the R-42s, as well as the "duck-tape" steel adhesive on the R-40s. Many slants are also wet with just a few left. I guess that was a mistake since they're newer.

1) By the very fact that the CI R-42s retired before them, I guess not.

3) They're ALL on they're way out. There's plenty of rust on the roofs of the R-42s, as well as the "duck-tape" steel adhesive on the R-40s. Many slants are also wet with just a few left. I guess that was a mistake since they're newer.

1) Yes the C.I R42 retire first but there is still M.K R42 in service and it will retire last. The R32 GE retired first also.

3)The R32 also has rusty roofs and duck tape and its not in great shape. Yes the R38,R40,R40M,R42 has rusty roof and duck tape and they not in great shape but also the R32 has duck tape and its not in great shape ethier.

R32 are also in bad shape and falling apart also. Yes I would want the R32 to retire first. The R32 is the oldest and it needs to go and just because the body is made of steel doesn't mean it was last long.

You didn't answer the question I asked. In that hypothetical situation, which would you retire first? The older car or the car that is falling apart?

Just because it is the oldest doesn't mean it needs to go first. The R32's bodies were only designed for 35 years of service, yet here they go, chugging away after 44.

is it just me or is this guy tripping when he is saying that the R32's are in the worst shape ever...the R32's, from my own eyes and ears seem like the better condition cars of the 3840S40S42...

which number R32 have u seen thats in bad shape?

the R32 has come a long way but they got fight left in them...rusty roofs??? please..

You didn't answer the question I asked. In that hypothetical situation, which would you retire first? The older car or the car that is falling apart?

Just because it is the oldest doesn't mean it needs to go first. The R32's bodies were only designed for 35 years of service, yet here they go, chugging away after 44.

Oh my god. The oldest cars are falling apart also. Yes the r32 need to go first because its in bad shape and it the oldest and it needs to retire first. The orinigal R32 was designed for 35 years of service but it was rebuilt bwteen 1987 to 1989 that why it ran 44 years but it time for them to retire. In 2009 the r38,R40,R40M and R42 will retire.

is it just me or is this guy tripping when he is saying that the R32's are in the worst shape ever...the R32's, from my own eyes and ears seem like the better condition cars of the 3840S40S42...

which number R32 have u seen thats in bad shape?

the R32 has come a long way but they got fight left in them...rusty roofs??? please..

The R32 are in the worstest shape ever. Just because the R32 body is made out of stell doesn't mean that the R32 will last long. The R32 come a long way but they got fight left in them...rusty roofs. I forgot the number of R32 that is in bad shape but there in bad shape still.

Ah your wrong the R-32's are not in bad shape I rode on the (E) and (F) and they are in good condition. The R-42's on the (E) are in terrible condition and the R-38's on the (C) and few on the (A) are even worse

Your wrong. Not all R32 are in great shape.:mad:

Not to mention it's the same poster(s) rewriting the same jargon with different sentence structure. :D

So ... how 'bout them one-sixties? ;)

Speaking of the R-160's I one testing on the (E) yesterday on the lower level of 7th Avenue its #92xx

Exterior signs read:

(E) Jamaica Ctr

(E) Parsons/Archer

(E) Queens Bl Exp

I couldn't get a pic or vid in time b/c ppl were walking down the stairs so damn slow but the time I pulled you my cam the train was gone ugh I was so pissed off!

Speaking of the R-160's I one testing on the (E) yesterday on the lower level of 7th Avenue its #92xx

Exterior signs read:

(E) Jamaica Ctr

(E) Parsons/Archer

(E) Queens Bl Exp

I couldn't get a pic or vid in time b/c ppl were walking down the stairs so damn slow but the time I pulled you my cam the train was gone ugh I was so pissed off!

Yep, still burn-testing. Let me know when you find one IN service on the (E) or (F).

Archived