7 West Side Extension- Actually Happening!

MTR Admiralty

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always wondered if the MTA would extend the 7 line south to 34 Street on the West Side, why not extend the L line north to meet the 7 train. Let all the great Mets fans in Lower Greenpoint and Upper Williamsburg make an easy connection to Citi Field via L and 7. That makes sense! In my title.

I always wondered if the MTA would extend the 7 line south to 34 Street on the West Side, why not extend the L line north to meet the 7 train. Let all the great Mets fans in Lower Greenpoint and Upper Williamsburg make an easy connection to Citi Field via L and 7. That makes sense! In my title.

It is a great idea, but I am not so sure about it.

It is a major topic on Subchat.

I wondered if the 7 train would be extended, why not the L train to go north to 34 street to meet the 7 line. Add 3 stops: 23 Street, 28 Street and make 34 Street the last stop.

The (7)<7> is closer than the (L).....the (L) runs along 14th Street b/w 1st and 8th Avenues, so it wouldn't make sense to send the (L) to 34th Street!

Terminating it at javits center is good idea, because they could in theory put another several track lay up yard under 34th st connecting to herald sq if needed for easier access. If they fiddled it right they could also put transfer connection to the (1)(2)(3) so cars could transfer between yards more easily.

Lots of options really. Would be cool to go to NYP and hop the 7 right there to see a game.

- A

I wonder since the 7 line is being extended to the west side, why not the L train be extended to meet the 7 train at the new 34 street stop? That will be cool.

I really do not feel that such an extension would work out. The reason is, the Manhattan bound (L) customers are usually heading towards the Midtown CBD. Even with such an extension, the patrons will still need an additional transfer.

The proposed location of the 34th Street-11th Avenue stop is on 11th Avenue, near the Jacob Javits Centre. Already the plan is controversial, why would we need the (L) there.

If you would like such a phenomenon, I would recommend extending the (7) to 14th Street, allowing for a Chelsea Piers station and a 14th Street Station.

The (7) can't go past 33rd street. There's this thing called west side yard, empire tunnel, and oh the approach tracks between 8th & 11th ave that are the busiest in north america. :D

If anything you're asking a lot even to connect the (L) with the (7) via passageway between 33rd st and 31st st.

- A

I agree. (L) is fine, and the planned (7)<7> extension is fine. Perhaps what we need is a line that connected from 14th, went up the west side to 28th street via 10th ave then go over to 3rd ave up towards 42nd then make a gentle turn to meet up with GCT. You could put connections to the rest of either system wherever it made sense/worked best so trains had access to a yard.

- A

Well, the (L) and (7) is the only option here, I can't think of another line unless expanding the 42nd Street shuttle which is impossible... ;)...

There is room for a deep tunnel under everything in the bedrock. It would even be ok to build the ARC-ESA connector with the depths that i'm talking about.

Currently the (7) is the deepest trackage at GCT subway station. It is i believe 60 or 70 feet below the street. Simply put it off to one side (probably to the east) to allow the connector enough clearance.

- A

The (7) can't go past 33rd street. There's this thing called west side yard, empire tunnel, and oh the approach tracks between 8th & 11th ave that are the busiest in north america. ;)

If anything you're asking a lot even to connect the (L) with the (7) via passageway between 33rd st and 31st st.

- A

If you can, look on the first page of this thread. The tunnels are being built from 25th Street up all the way to 40th Street before that curve leading to the existing infrastructure. The tracks from the 34th Street Station to 25th Street will be storage tracks. There is feasibility for a new station near Chelsea Piers. I'm not quite sure about 14th Street.

Archived