Railfanning areas around Wilmington, Delaware?

Paul P

I am on a trip up to Wilmington tomorrow on Saturday, and have 3 hours to spend in the city. Has anyone been around the rails around there, because I know looking from the train in the direction of Philadelphia they have a yard nearby, so any info is appreciated.

Here is the train station below: Zoom in on point A

[GMAPS]<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=wilmington+amtrak+station&sll=39.737179,-75.551503&sspn=0.001939,0.004828&ie=UTF8&ll=39.744484,-75.548&spn=0.001939,0.004828&t=k&z=14&output=embed&s=AARTsJpd1sAP9Jt6TbA71S-FY1j-klirwA"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=wilmington+amtrak+station&sll=39.737179,-75.551503&sspn=0.001939,0.004828&ie=UTF8&ll=39.744484,-75.548&spn=0.001939,0.004828&t=k&z=14&source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>[/GMAPS]

Subway to Penn > NJT to Septa> Septa to Patco > Grab a Philly CheeseSteak > Patco to Septa> Septa to Wilmington! Haha, purrfect alignment if it is possible...

I believe that would be:

Take the NYCT Subway to Penn Station, catch the NJT Northeast Corridor Line to 30th Street, ride the SEPTA Market Frankford Line to PATCO High Speed Line to 15th-Locust. Then grab a steak. Well, you could grab it anywhere in Philly. (But I would say Gino's or Pat's King of Steaks). Ride PATCO to 8th Street, WALK to Market East Station, take the SEPTA Regional Rail R2 to Wilmington.

That's a hell of a ride.

I believe that would be:

Take the NYCT Subway to Penn Station, catch the NJT Northeast Corridor Line to 30th Street, ride the SEPTA Market Frankford Line to PATCO High Speed Line to 15th-Locust. Then grab a steak. Well, you could grab it anywhere in Philly. (But I would say Gino's or Pat's King of Steaks). Ride PATCO to 8th Street, WALK to Market East Station, take the SEPTA Regional Rail R2 to Wilmington.

That's a hell of a ride.

The Northeast Corridor line doesn't go to 30th Street Philadelphia, it terminates in Trenton, NJ. You would have to transfer to the SEPTA R7 line to get into Philly.

• 1 month later...

So on Sunday I plan to go and try the hotbed station for pictures, I have already tried to mess with the settings on my camera, so they come out good, I just hope it's a sunny day, and not as cold as the previous ones in the state. I'll freeze my a$$ off staying 7 hours outside! :eek:

Archived