Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

R1Toasty

What's makin' that train whine?

I know it might seem like a very silly question, but why do R142s, R143s, and R160s make the whining noise as they accelerate?

Aha, so the newest trains happen to use very similar propulsion that makes a kinda pleasant noise. I see...

i don't like the R143 propulsion. i like the R142/R160 kind better.

i still haven't heard the Siemens propulsion in real life though, but according to the recordings i have been hearing i am now dying to hear it in real life

Aren't they all European propulsion systems?
Yes. All cars after the R62 utilize European Propulsion Systems. Such as the Alstom Onix, Adtranz E-Cam, Siemens A/C, and others.

i still haven't heard the Siemens propulsion in real life though, but according to the recordings i have been hearing i am now dying to hear it in real life

The (N)ovember has 5 or 6 Siemens trains running on it now you can get one easy..

Operated 8868 going South out of Ditmars and 8877 going North out of the Well the Other day, love the sound...

If the Siemens R160's are anything like the R143's that tested with Siemens propulsion then I can wait. I did not like the way it felt like during braking, it use to slide like crazzy. But I am guessing that they might have fixed that little problem by now.

I know it might seem like a very silly question, but why do R142s, R143s, and R160s make the whining noise as they accelerate?

They can't stand the customers on them, that's why.......

I heard a r160 siemens on the (N) , I even rode in it , it sounds nice

I heard a r160 siemens on the (N) , I even rode in it , it sounds nice

i first caught the siemens 160 in november. i absolutely love the sound!

Yes. All cars after the R62 utilize European Propulsion Systems. Such as the Alstom Onix, Adtranz E-Cam, Siemens A/C, and others.
I would also like to note that the E-Cam is a Westinghouse Product, but Westingouse became CBS Corporation in the late 1990's and gave their transport division, which also made propulsion systems, to Adtranz, who made the E-Cams used on the R68, R68A, and R62A, so technically, the E-Cams are also known as Westinghouse E-Cam.

They can't stand the customers on them, that's why.......

Considering some of the people I've seen on the (2)/(5) late at night, that's not a bad answer.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.