Life-Like/Walthers HO Scale NYCTA Subway Cars

Hey Earle.

I actually have the first set of Subway Cars Proto/Likelike produced. Its the R-17 (6) Train with the off redbird scheme and silver roofs. I like them. The quality of these trains is much better than those Freight starter sets by Lifelike. Those sets come with those horrific long "hooked"? black couplers that always cause a derailment, while the subway cars have the rounded hook Kadee couplers. I ran them on a little 4 foot shelf layout, back and forth in a closet I had, while living in Staten Island. They've been packed away since August of 2006, but I thought about bringing them back out and incorporating them within my O-Gauge Subway Layout. The newer sets look a lot nicer and detailed. More rivets, the end pantograph gates, and more. Hope it helps Earle ;)

Zachary

I have a couple of sets of the red R-17's. They are the only modern HO equipment I own and they run much more nicely than any of my '60's and '70's equipment. They can be started and stopped quite smoothly which makes for prototypical operation, which is more than I can say for the old stuff. They look good also though I think it's been mentioned that their width isn't to scale for an IRT car. I don't care for the fact that they're made in China but for the price they can't be beat.

Thanks for the replies. I'm pleased to see you mentioned the models include gates. I've seen pictures of the blue and silver version of the R17 which did not appear to be equipped with them. Perhaps this was an error on an early run which was subsequently corrected on later releases.

Thanks again.

• 7 months later...
Hey Earle.

I actually have the first set of Subway Cars Proto/Likelike produced. Its the R-17 (6) Train with the off redbird scheme and silver roofs. I like them. The quality of these trains is much better than those Freight starter sets by Lifelike. Those sets come with those horrific long "hooked"? black couplers that always cause a derailment, while the subway cars have the rounded hook Kadee couplers. I ran them on a little 4 foot shelf layout, back and forth in a closet I had, while living in Staten Island. They've been packed away since August of 2006, but I thought about bringing them back out and incorporating them within my O-Gauge Subway Layout. The newer sets look a lot nicer and detailed. More rivets, the end pantograph gates, and more. Hope it helps Earle ;)

Zachary

I have the Silver & Blue (S) set. I usually use the cars for MOW Trains although CSX has it's own Rider and Tool cars for work trains (most of the MOW equipment is Athearn BB Generic MOW marked cars with Conrail decals on them except for the CSX cars and a Conrail ballast hopper)..

Archived