What improvements does the Staten Island Railway need to work on?

Kexpress

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1. LIRR can be etxended to Staten Island from brooklyn to Staten Island and connect with SIRT and Metro North Railroad run in New Jersey along with NJ Transit and they can be extended to Staten Island.

2. Well if the (MTA) can win billions and billions of dallars they can do it in the next decade.

3/4.Yes the service works well now. But it be a great idea to have NYC Subway exetended to Staten Island and have Staten Island Railway extended to Brookyln because we need to improve that we all care for Staten Islanders since they don't get what ever they want and gets no love and care. Buses to brookyn and staten island routes can be kept and even S.I ferry.

1: Ain't gonna happen. They're not gonna spend that much money and extend commuter railroads to Staten Island. It would actually be more practical to extend the subway there, and even that isn't gonna happen anytime soon.

2. And that's gonna happen when?

3. And there goes your argument out the window right there. "They don't get whatever they want and gets no love and care." Prove it to me.

4. What, wait? Huh, this north shore line is already operating?

6. The heck is that when the (SIR) and (R) connect, the (R) can bring passengers to the damn Atalntic Term on LIRR and Grand Central on MNR!!!

4. No it's not. My mistake.

6. While you have a valid point, it is most likely much faster to take the ferry to the South Ferry/Whitehall St. Station in Manhattan than to go all the way through Brooklyn to get to the same destinations. It's not just about the most connections. It's about how to get to point A to point B in the cheapest, quickest manner possible, and trudging down the 4th Avenue local tracks isn't the way to do it.

You're a soph, eh? So'm I.

1: Ain't gonna happen. They're not gonna spend that much money and extend commuter railroads to Staten Island. It would actually be more practical to extend the subway there, and even that isn't gonna happen anytime soon.

2. And that's gonna happen when?

3. And there goes your argument out the window right there. "They don't get whatever they want and gets no love and care." Prove it to me.

1. Well they could extended the NJ Transit/MNRR commuter rail to Staten Island and use the Arthur Kill lift Bridge,which the frieght train is using it. The NJ Transit Commuter Rail can use the old North Shore line and West Shore Line and extending the LIRR to staten Island is a great idea. Extending the SIRT to Brooklyn and connect with the subway is a great idea and extending the Subway to staten Island is a great idea.

2. No sure.

3. Okay I will prove it to you. The Staten Islanders get no care because there is big traffic jam and no train line but only one on the SIRT and there is no comuuter rail and subway in Staten Island also. The staten islanders are in danger on the SIRT line and they can't get help because there is no MTA operator and no saftey and no turnstiles,tooken booth on all SIRT station expect st. george and they are always unsafe. The local train is an hour late while the expresses go by for an hour. The Nieghborhood is gorwing and we need more bus routes and train/subway/commuter railroad lines for the commuters to get better service.

4. You have no care for the staten islanders.:mad:

The old LIRR Bay Ridge branch is now leased by the New York & Atlantic Railroad. Not sure how you would plan on extending the LIRR to Staten Island.

You know the LIRR can use the Bay Ridge branch and then it can get extended to Staten Island.

1. Well they could extended the NJ Transit/MNRR commuter rail to Staten Island and use the Arthur Kill lift Bridge,which the frieght train is using it. The NJ Transit Commuter Rail can use the old North Shore line and West Shore Line and extending the LIRR to staten Island is a great idea. Extending the SIRT to Brooklyn and connect with the subway is a great idea and extending the Subway to staten Island is a great idea.

2. No sure.

3. Okay I will prove it to you. The Staten Islanders get no care because there is big traffic jam and no train line but only one on the SIRT and there is no comuuter rail and subway in Staten Island also. The staten islanders are in danger on the SIRT line and they can't get help because there is no MTA operator and no saftey and no turnstiles,tooken booth on all SIRT station expect st. george and they are always unsafe. The local train is an hour late while the expresses go by for an hour. The Nieghborhood is gorwing and we need more bus routes and train/subway/commuter railroad lines for the commuters to get better service.

4. You have no care for the staten islanders.:mad:

1. OK. If you extend all three there, it's massive overkill. Even one is massive overkill. I'll wait until Staten Islanders start clamoring for commuter rail service (feh, unlikely) or direct subway service. From what I hear, they're perfectly fine with the bridge, express buses, and the ferry.

2. My point exactly.

3. So? There are big traffic jams everywhere. Just because there are no turnstiles or station agents at the stations doesn't mean they're unsafe. If they were considered as unsafe as you say they are the (MTA) would probably have done something about it. Service is the SIRT's problem, and relates in no way to this topic.

Again, I'll wait till I hear public opinion saying that they need tunnels from the LIRR, MNCRR, or subway dug to Staten Island.

4. I don't care what they do in their daily lives, but that doesn't mean that I don't care about the. They are New Yorkers after all. It's just that they don't absolutely need direct subway service right now.

1. Don't care.

2. Yeah I will try to convince the next legislators and counselors that come in the office.

3. oh well.

4. It was a great days when you were absence ;). When I was absence before you,I didn't care.

1. I know you don't care because I called you out on your idiocy.

2. Yeah whatever, good luck with that.

3. Again, caught you on your idiocy.

4. Oh really? It was a great time while I was gone? That really sickens me and pisses me off. I let off abit lightly the first time you mentioned my absence, but you dare mention it a second time, and claim that it was a great time? Nah uh, not going down like that. Who the hell are you to say that? Things ran smoother around here before you came around.....

Have a nice day.

And to AWWang, if you have nothing better to input on, please just don't post anything.

1. OK. If you extend all three there, it's massive overkill. Even one is massive overkill. I'll wait until Staten Islanders start clamoring for commuter rail service (feh, unlikely) or direct subway service. From what I hear, they're perfectly fine with the bridge, express buses, and the ferry.

2. My point exactly.

3. So? There are big traffic jams everywhere. Just because there are no turnstiles or station agents at the stations doesn't mean they're unsafe. If they were considered as unsafe as you say they are the (MTA) would probably have done something about it. Service is the SIRT's problem, and relates in no way to this topic.

Again, I'll wait till I hear public opinion saying that they need tunnels from the LIRR, MNCRR, or subway dug to Staten Island.

4. I don't care what they do in their daily lives, but that doesn't mean that I don't care about the. They are New Yorkers after all. It's just that they don't absolutely need direct subway service right now.

1. I know the bus and ferry are fine but we need something extra for the future like a commuter rail,subway,light rail and trains extended to Staten Island and they can make more train lines in staten island.

You know they will extended the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail to Staten Island and will use the North Shore Line and West Shore line and cross the bayoone Bridge and even if they extend the HBLR to S.I,s89 bus route will still be kept.

2. No comment.

3. Yes there is traffic jam everywhere. The (MTA) did something about it to keep the SIRT safe and they will install secerity camera and turnstiles in all station on the line and they will put token booth and vending mahnies and will have a station agents.

They can always make another bridge to extended the MNRR,LIRR,NYCS to Staten Island.

4. I was not talking about their life. I was talking about thier transportation and commuting. I know the Staten Islanders are new yorkers. Okay maybe they don't need direct subway service right now but in the future yes they will when the nieghboorhood grows bigger.

1. I know you don't care because I called you out on your idiocy.

2. Yeah whatever, good luck with that.

3. Again, caught you on your idiocy.

4. Oh really? It was a great time while I was gone? That really sickens me and pisses me off. I let off abit lightly the first time you mentioned my absence, but you dare mention it a second time, and claim that it was a great time? Nah uh, not going down like that. Who the hell are you to say that? Things ran smoother around here before you came around.....

Have a nice day.

1. Whatever

2.Yes I will try everything.

3. no comment

4. yeah I did. Some people that I know and hate me siad that to me before at any city or state and people that I hate I said the same thing to them. Why do you get pissed of when I siad that? People done that to me but I didn't care.

1. I know the bus and ferry are fine but we need something extra for the future like a commuter rail,subway,light rail and trains extended to Staten Island and they can make more train lines in staten island.

You know they will extended the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail to Staten Island and will use the North Shore Line and West Shore line and cross the bayoone Bridge and even if they extend the HBLR to S.I,s89 bus route will still be kept.

2. No comment.

3. Yes there is traffic jam everywhere. The (MTA) did something about it to keep the SIRT safe and they will install secerity camera and turnstiles in all station on the line and they will put token booth and vending mahnies and will have a station agents.

They can always make another bridge to extended the MNRR,LIRR,NYCS to Staten Island.

4. I was not talking about their life. I was talking about thier transportation and commuting. I know the Staten Islanders are new yorkers. Okay maybe they don't need direct subway service right now but in the future yes they will when the nieghboorhood grows bigger.

1 and 4. Well when the future gets here, that's when I'll talk about it. Right now direct subway service to Staten Island is not needed, and the (MTA) probably doesn't have the money for it anyway.

2. You can't just make up or assume stuff like that ya know.

3. Good for the security, and I agree with the turnstile thingy, but there's no need for another bridge across the bay. Again, when the future arrives, that's when I'll talk about it.

Staten Island does not really need commuter rail service at all. The S.I Ferry is the lifeline between Manhattan & S.I, and you have the SIR + tons and TONS of buses that can take you there. The Vinny B is the connection between S.I and Brooklyn via the S53 and S79 Buses. And N.J is another connection via the Bayonne Bridge Via the S89, which in my opinion should run midday and weekends.

I dont live in S.I, but I do go there pretty often, and certain things would be pretty pointless, such as the commuter rail idea.

The only other alternative and logical way to have joint connected rail service would be to connect the HBLR to S.I. But that probably wont ever happen

Express buses are and is a big alternative to get into the city as well, so no commuter rail or subway extension is really needed.

Another idiotic thing I read, extending the (R)? Whoever said that must've lost their freaking mind. The (R) already has too much trouble handling a local from Brooklyn to Manhattan to Queens, as its a full local route. Plus most of S.I is railroad turf, it would cost the MTA MILLIONS to convert most of that turf into Transit Equipment. And dont say to make the (R) an express, or else you'd deserve a swift kick in the face.

Staten Islanders dont get what they want? WHAT?! Staten Islanders got and are getting more brand new Orion VII Next Generation Hybrid Buses! With about a good load of MCI D4500CT Commuter Coach buses on their way. They complained about the buses and their condition, and how Staten Island was overlooked and ignored while other boroughs received new buses which I agreed with, the borough was being ignored, and bada-bing-bada-boom, you guys got new buses! Staten Island is mostly used with buses and alot of S.I Riders who dont even live near SIR, takes the buses, as its usually Staten Island's lifeline, next to the S.I Ferry. SIR gets really good ridership for those who connect to certain buses, but imo, the buses are the lifeline of S.I.

On-Topic. My only tiff with SIR is security, install turnstiles and put some cops in them stations and things will be better. At night, it is really unsafe

Whatever, you have no hope Majinvegeta but just lose your mind like we (7LineFan, Kexpress and Me) did, ;)!!!

Excuse Me?

Have you ever thought about it for the long term? >_>

Extending the (R) may SEEM efficient, but do you have any idea about the impact it would cause service in parts like manhattan and brooklyn? Plus, the MTA would not go for converting railroad turf to transit equipment, as

1. It's not needed

2. It would cost millions.

3. It is not a demand from the people.

Plus, that would put extreme stress on the (R) line, as there is no other local route to actually support it. It would only bring longer wait times.

Light rail is the more feasible solution instead of an Extension of the (R).

Just by your knowledge of Staten Island, you probably dont even go there.

1.) SIRR riders have been ridding on the back of the other MTA riders. They should ALL pay to ride on the SIRR.

2.) Second, the SIRR due to it being run on freight railroad tracks, it falls under the Federal Railroad Administration. Even if the MTA wanted to connect the SIRR to NYC Subway due to the SIRT being under FRA guidelines they wouldn't be able to directly connect it ex: same trackage; with the R.

3.) If LIRR was really needed in Staten Island, the LIRR Bay Ridge branch would have stayed open providing service.

1.) SIRR riders have been ridding on the back of the other MTA riders. They should ALL pay to ride on the SIRR.

2.) Second, the SIRR due to it being run on freight railroad tracks, it falls under the Federal Railroad Administration. Even if the MTA wanted to connect the SIRR to NYC Subway due to the SIRT being under FRA guidelines they wouldn't be able to directly connect it ex: same trackage; with the R.

3.) If LIRR was really needed in Staten Island, the LIRR Bay Ridge branch would have stayed open providing service.

1. Yes the SIRT should have turnstiles on all station on the line and Yes all SIRT riders should have been paying.

2. Yeah I don't know why frieght trains running on the SIRT main line if they can't connect SIRT with Subway,they should still connect the subway to SIRT. How come LIRR has a connect with a IRT subway in brooklyn?

3. Yes I agree.

4. Most members here don't care about Staten Island.

Pablo, don't take advantage of your moderator status, I posted something useful... Don't mess with me...

And stop the flame war, it is crazy...

Don't take advantage of my moderator status? How was I taking advantage of my moderator status? I won't hold my breathe for prove......

Anyways, as far as you posting something useful, I give you this, it was about 50% useful.

I have no reason to mess with you, I don't know where you got that from.

Stop the flame war, what flame war? Get real dude.

All I'm doing is proving my points.

And to Kexpress, I'm not like you. You may not care that people say it was great that you wasn't around, but what did I do to deserve that comment you said about my absence? You had some real nerves to mention my absence twice. I wasn't around because I was so busy and didn't have time to check the boards. Get your act straight man.

Not true. You have no facts to back that up unless members out right say "I don't care about Staten Island." I for one like Staten Island.....

And its funny how you changed your location from "Staten Island" to "not telling"......

I just noticed it, so don't go thinking I check up on things like that like a n00b.

2. Yeah I don't know why frieght trains running on the SIRT main line if they can't connect SIRT with Subway,they should still connect the subway to SIRT. How come LIRR has a connect with a IRT subway in brooklyn?

The LIRR doesn't connect to the same tracks as the IRT. It has a station that connects to the Subway. The SIRT can't connect to the same tracks as the NYC Subway. If it were to ever go into Brooklyn, It would have to have it's own trackage.

@Pablo: You are right, a lot of his allegations are false. There is no evidence that EVERY member here rejects the Island, if we reject the island, there is no category here for SIR. It is impossible to revisit the plans of the 20's and 30's given the economic crisis we are dealing with now. The main questions/issues I have with a Staten Island connection are:

-Feasibility: could it be done?

-Method: how would it be done? what is the alignment?

-Connectivity: how will it connect to existing infrastructure? where would it connect?

-Reliability: will it benefit the Staten Islanders?

-Effectiveness: is it worth it? will the new line increase ridership? will it enhance growth? will it promote development?

THESE ARE THE MAIN QUESTIONS WE SHOULD CONSIDER WHEN DISCUSSING PROPOSALS. "Nobody cares about Staten Island" or "Staten Island is still a borough" are not good excuses. I would not like to see this thread envelop into a flame war like the Sea Beach Express thing.

@KExpress:

-The SIR should install fare collection systems at ALL stations and enforce it properly.

-A direct connection to the subway is currently infeasible. The whole point of rapid transit is to make it rapid. If the (R) line gets extended, it would take a long while for a person from Tottenville to move all the way up to Lower Manhattan. Sure, there is no risk of drowning, but it won't drastically cut the time. And remember, the train crew personnel are humans. You don't want them locked up in a small space for 2 hours or more. Ask the (A) train personnel about how they feel. And if the (R) is extended, there are many issues involved... extra trains? Train storage? TPH? There are many factors.

-As what everyone said, the HBLR extension is the most logical solution.

-In addition, Bus Rapid Transit should develop fully in Staten Island. There should be a line down Hylan Blvd and Victory Blvd. This will enhance intra-island travel. Furthermore, these BRT lines could be extended to the (R) station in Brooklyn.

-As I said earlier, please consider those questions I put up earlier in this post.

1. Yes the SIRT should have turnstiles on all station on the line and Yes all SIRT riders should have been paying.

3. Yes I agree.

@ #4. Way to make such a dumb assumption

KExpress:

-The SIR should install fare collection systems at ALL stations and enforce it properly.

Yeah the (MTA) should install turnstiles and vending machine and token booth on all station on the SIRT North-South Main line. The North/West Shore Line should have tunrstiles on all station when they restored and extended the HBLR to Staten Island and use the North/West Shore line.

Archived