What improvements does the Staten Island Railway need to work on?

Kexpress

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah the (MTA) should install turnstiles and vending machine and token booth on all station on the SIRT North-South Main line. The North/West Shore Line should have tunrstiles on all station when they restored and extended the HBLR to Staten Island and use the North/West Shore line.

I wholeheartedly agree about the vending machines as well. That is something that alot of people have requested. Unfortunately, only St.George IIRC, has it.

The LIRR doesn't connect to the same tracks as the IRT. It has a station that connects to the Subway. The SIRT can't connect to the same tracks as the NYC Subway. If it were to ever go into Brooklyn, It would have to have it's own trackage.

The Brooklyn IRT: At Atlantic Avenue, a trackway for a connection from the LIRR Flatbush Terminal to the northbound IRT local. Rumors abound; the track may or may not have ever been installed; August Belmont "might" have used it for access from "his" subway to his racetrack on Long Island. Listed here as honorable mention.

Source: http://www.nycsubway.org/faq/abandtun.html

The Brooklyn IRT: At Atlantic Avenue, a trackway for a connection from the LIRR Flatbush Terminal to the northbound IRT local. Rumors abound; the track may or may not have ever been installed; August Belmont "might" have used it for access from "his" subway to his racetrack on Long Island. Listed here as honorable mention.

Source: http://www.nycsubway.org/faq/abandtun.html

Yes August Belmont did ran the Mineola from the IRT system to Belmont Park thru the connection onto LIRR trackage.

But that does not mean that the SIR could feasibly connect to the LIRR, MNR.

The LIRR, MNR and NJT Commuter Rail has no use going to Staten Island unless if the Island is bigger and more populated. The (R) and or SIRT can cover it all. And now I feel the SIR should be entended to Bay Ridge not the (R) to SI... Since if the (R) goes to SI, only the front 4-5 cars can go in the Station not the remaining.

Not even that... look, Grand Central is miles away from St George. Flatbush is also miles from St George. Who in the right mind will build a tunnel connecting Flatbush with St George or St George with Grand Central Terminal or Penn Station???????????????? Who would ride the thing from SI to LI or Westbury, CT? You also have to upgrade the LIRR to the specifications of either the MNR or the LIRR.

I don't think the (R) extension could work. It's really too long.

Just send the HBLR over.

Yeah, I agree on the Commuter Rail thing. But, the HBLR would make the boro 'too New Jersey'. The SIR to Bay Ridge is better. The (R) to Staten Is. won't be the best.

Well, why would they put the SIR to Bay Ridge???

Now... there are planning to build a tunnel under the New York Bay. If that so happens, they will connect the North Shore line with the LIRR Bay Ridge Line. It will be for freight. Provided it will be also for mass transit usage, Staten Islanders could ride into Brooklyn and will have multiple transit connections that would take them into Manhattan.

Well,, the SIR would be more reasonable than the LIRR, also the (R) cars are too lenghthy. And stop trying to be against me, I know and you know the LIRR, MNR and NJT Commuter isn't reasonable to be extended to Staten Is.

My Plan is the SIR East <> West Line start from Bay Ridge-95th Street on a Modified Station and also connect the (R) to the SIR rails but don't run it there and End around NorthWestern Staten Is. via the North Shore Line... That would be the perfect line, to preserve Staten Island as a New York Boro...

1. Staten Island is still a borough by definition in terms of administration, subway access does not determine its status as a borough. A similar parallel we could take is Hawaii and its relationship to the 48. It has its own highway system, completely separated from the Interstate system in the Continental US. Sure we could get a subway to SI, but the most important things are the feasibility and practicality of such a planned line. If such a line is neither feasible nor practical, what's the point of building one?

2. I am not trying to counter your opinion, my statement was, IF, the cross bay tunnel has provisions for rapid transit usage, the North Shore Line could be connected to the LIRR Bay Ridge Branch. Please understand that the Bay Ridge ROW is not for passenger service. There are plans to convert the Bay Ridge Branch into a rapid transit line (the "RX" line) that could run from Brooklyn to the Bronx via Queens. If such a line is ever built and the tunnel is completed, a North Shore line connecting to the proposed RX service would benefit the Islanders more than having the North Shore line dead-ending near the Bay Ridge subway station.

3. A physical track connection would be great. However, as I said, if the cross bay tunnel connecting the North Shore line and the Bay Ridge ROW is done, then there could be a track connection to the (N) which would allow access to Coney Island Yard (if there are mechanical problems on SIR trains that could not be fixed at Clifton Shops, the trains have to be transported via truck to Coney Island to be fixed, this would be a solution to this problem)

Well, if you keep on arguing I guess NY and NJ is like Earth and Venus! Sister 'bff' states, ;)!

Whatever, I give up...

I know, the R-68 too!

I was talking about how many cars, not car length!

~The (R) has about 10 Cars per run, the SIR has 4 per run... Get it?

Huh?? Do you know how to count??? If you are talking about R46s, the (R) runs EIGHT cars (2 4-car sets). The SIR usually runs 1 4-car set.

4. Most members here don't care about Staten Island.

for some reason I said that is because Most of You get off at Tompkinsville Station and aviod paying $2 and When your at the ferry terminal you just walk to Tompkinsville and aviod paying $2 to eneter at St. George station. Most of you think there should not be rail connection to SIRT and when the nighboorhood grows bigger you still say there should not be rail connection with another rail as something extra.

for some reason I said that is because Most of You get off at Tompkinsville Station and aviod paying $2 and When your at the ferry terminal you just walk to Tompkinsville and aviod paying $2 to eneter at St. George station. Most of you think there should not be rail connection to SIRT and when the nighboorhood grows bigger you still say there should not be rail connection with another rail as something extra.

Listen, you can't generalise everyone here disliking Staten Island, just because you believe that the people boarding and alighting at Tompkinsville are doing it to avoid the "entry/exit fee".

We are not saying 100% no to a rail connection to the SIR. It is a good concept, HOWEVER, is it feasible? Is it cost effective? What is the maintenance cost? Construction cost? Technologies? Environmental impact? I know we do want to improve the transit situation in Staten Island, but there are many geographic and possibly, socioeconomic (NIMBY?) constraints that can derail such a project. I advise that you check your words before offending people here.

My 2 pence.

I made a map for the future

You can see in this map exetndsions.

1. HBLR extended to S.I and using the North/West shore line

2. MNRR and NJRR (NJT) extended to S.I using the North and crossing Arthur Kill Lift Bridge.

3. Staten Island Railway extended to Brooklyn connecting BMT 4 Avenue line with the (R).

4. LIRR Bay Ridge Branch line extended to S.I with another new line there and it's South Shore Line.

sirmap.gif

Sorry about the suloppyness in this map I was using paint in this program.

I made a map for the future

You can see in this map exetndsions.

1. HBLR extended to S.I and using the North/West shore line

2. MNRR and NJRR extended to S.I using the North and crossing Arthur Kill Lift Bridge.

3. Staten Island Railway extended to Brooklyn connecting BMT 4 Avenue line with the (R).

4. LIRR Bay Ridge Branch line extended to S.I with another new line there and it's South Shore Line.

sirmap.gif

Sorry about the suloppyness in this map I was using paint in this program.

Not to put you down but...

???

What is the NJRR??? Isn't that NJT??? And how are you going to bring the Metro North to Staten Island???

Not to put you down but...

???

What is the NJRR??? Isn't that NJT??? And how are you going to bring the Metro North to Staten Island???

Yes it is NJT and I put NJRR because I wanted everybody to know that is NJT Commuter rail. The Metro North goes to NJ and it can go to Staten Island still when it is on NJ.

Yes it is NJT and I put NJRR because I wanted everybody to know that is NJT Commuter rail. The Metro North goes to NJ and it can go to Staten Island still when it is on NJ.

I believe that most of the people on this forum would know what NEW JERSEY TRANSIT is and what services it runs. NJRR is too confusing.

How would you bring the MNRR to New Jersey?? All of the East-of-Hudson lines terminate at Grand Central. The West-of-Hudson lines run as NJT lines south of the state line. And if it serves NJ and SI only and not go thru Manhattan, I don't see how that will benefit the Islanders.

I believe that most of the people on this forum would know what NEW JERSEY TRANSIT is and what services it runs. NJRR is too confusing.

How would you bring the MNRR to New Jersey?? All of the East-of-Hudson lines terminate at Grand Central. The West-of-Hudson lines run as NJT lines south of the state line. And if it serves NJ and SI only and not go thru Manhattan, I don't see how that will benefit the Islanders.

We can extended to MNRR from Manhattan to Staten Island and to do that we can have go from Manhattan and have go through NJ then go into Staten Island and cross the Arthur Kill Lift Bridge.

We can extended to MNRR from Manhattan to Staten Island and to do that we can have go from Manhattan and have go through NJ then go into Staten Island and cross the Arthur Kill Lift Bridge.

Question is... HOW.

And:

Where would the line tunnel under?

What lines would go there?

Where would the line go in New Jersey?

Is it cost-effective?

Would people ride it?

Will it connect Lower Manhattan?

Will the construction have a huge impact on the communities it passes through?

Archived