R44 going to early retire?

NYtransit

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You May Be Right, the R32's may have those sweaky breaks. I take that over that loud sound the R44/ R46's make at the last stop. (All trains make that sound, but the R44/46 are the worst.) The R32 is still a beautiful train, I hope the MTA changes it's mind about retiring them in 2009!

You May Be Right, the R32's may have those sweaky breaks. I take that over that loud sound the R44/ R46's make at the last stop. (All trains make that sound, but the R44/46 are the worst.) The R32 is still a beautiful train, I hope the MTA changes it's mind about retiring them in 2009!

when all said is done, the R32s will outlive the R38s, R40 slants, and Coney Island R42s!

I think the R32 benefited from being a huge order from Budd. However, out of the approx 600 cars ordered, only about 1/3rd of them are still in service. Morrison Knoudson also helped with a solid rebuild. The Phase I will probably be retired next year. After that, if you love the R32, try NJT's Arrow III. It's corrugated exterior and upright look reminds me somewhat of the R32. They'll be around for years to come. I actually kinda like this train, it has a very cosseting ride and accelerates great.

After that, if you love the R32, try NJT's Arrow III. It's corrugated exterior and upright look reminds me somewhat of the R32. They'll be around for years to come. I actually kinda like this train, it has a very cosseting ride and accelerates great.

Oh yeah, the Arrow III was also built by Budd. I think in 1977 or so. So, it should go until at least 2013 though it may need a another refurbishment at some point. There's a planned Arrow Iv to arrive in 2013 to replace it. But there are Arrow III-like trains running on SEPTA.

OMG! Will you get over it. The R32 will retire in 2009 because its currently being replaced by the R160. Live with it because lots of things come to an ending. The (MTA) will not change there mind about it anyways.

Oh yeah, the Arrow III was also built by Budd. I think in 1977 or so. So, it should go until at least 2013 though it may need a another refurbishment at some point. There's a planned Arrow Iv to arrive in 2013 to replace it. But there are Arrow III-like trains running on SEPTA.

yeah, they are called silverliner IV's

The R44's In my opinion were ahead of their time, I mean, the shape and stuff, they ride so smooth ( not in the rockaways) and the interior is the same since it was since it came out. St Louis car company had it man...too bad the dam trucks had their issues.

The R46's had bad trucks... not the R44's. The R44's just broke down frequently..

OMG! Will you get over it. The R32 will retire in 2009 because its currently being replaced by the R160. Live with it because lots of things come to an ending. The (MTA) will not change there mind about it anyways.

so is the rest of the 60 footers. by 2010, the R44s will be the oldest cars in the system. idk why you thought the R42s could last into 2014, they cannot with their rusted, ugly, car bodies

so is the rest of the 60 footers. by 2010, the R44s will be the oldest cars in the system. idk why you thought the R42s could last into 2014, they cannot with their rusted, ugly, car bodies

Well in I know by 2010 the R32/R38/R40Slant/R40A/R40M/R42 will retire by 2010 completely. I thought the R42 would last til the year but there are enough R160 to replace all these trains.

Well in I know by 2010 the R32/R38/R40Slant/R40A/R40M/R42 will retire by 2010 completely. I thought the R42 would last til the year but there are enough R160 to replace all these trains.

even if there were not enough R160s to replace all the 60 footers, the R42s would not have survived past 2010. R40Ms and R32s, maybe, but not R42s. seriously, you are the only person i know who likes the R42s.

hey, R32s are pure stainless steel, but even better. R42s are a mix of stainless and carbon steel. that is why R32s look in better shape than R42s and probably would have outlived them had it not been for those Phase II breakdowns, but in the end, the Phase I cars will outlive the R38s, R40s, and Coney Island R42s.

I couldn''t agree with you more! Like I said, me and my dad was surprised that the R-32 was the oldest of all (R-32s, R-38s, R-40s and R-42s), but looked the newest! I thought the R-32 was ordered like after the R-38s, R-40s and R-42s! LOLz, :rolleyes:!

Well, not quiet, only the P II's..

Really? Interesting. They all looked horrible before the rebuilds. The R32 was more attractive before the rebuild when clean but when it got ratty due to the lack of maintenance, it looked bad.

The 32 looks older as a design to my eyes. In terms of the shape it is in, the corrugated trains from Budd, well most of them, aged well. But, when the 32s are gone, maybe not subway cars, but the Budd built legend will remain in other forms. Corrugated stainless steel trains are around. Amtrack uses them, also the NJ Transit's Arrow III, PATCO Silverliner IV.

The 40s and 42s interiors are more modern. The illuminated advertising lights (gone in the rebuild), larger windows including the original windows of the doors that were unfortunately made into 32/38 sized during the rebuilds. Signage especially was updated. The exteriors as well, they definitely look next generation next to the the 32/38 to me, the R40 slants boldly so. Also, the R40s were the first to hint at the curved sides for NYCTA's subway cars (though PATHs were curved already in their 60s cars). Although a few 38s had a/c, the latter 40 slants and 40 mods and 42s had very effective original a/c. One thing the 32/38 has over the later trains is that they are more space-efficient. The 32/38 sits 52 per car where the 40s sit only 44. There's more standing room also.

Well, I still feel the R-32 looks the newest BSmith. The R-38s, R-40s and R-42s looked ridiculously dirty, even when it is cleaned. LOLz, the R-32 on the other hand is so clean and so stong looking. Humm, wonders if I can buy a pair of R-32, like the rare #3348 and it's pair 3549...

I'm sure you can!!! :rolleyes:

Well, I still feel the R-32 looks the newest BSmith. The R-38s, R-40s and R-42s looked ridiculously dirty, even when it is cleaned. LOLz, the R-32 on the other hand is so clean and so stong looking. Humm, wonders if I can buy a pair of R-32, like the rare #3348 and it's pair 3549...

I have to disagree. The R32s are kinda dirty. They look strong but I bet 1/4 of the fleet might have structural problems.

P.S. You might have to pay a hefty price for the R32. What's your price range?

Well, I feel the R-32 is the cleanest of the old fellas (R-42 and before)!

The R-38's, R-40's and R-42's are really 'seat ejectors' since it feels like the seat is going to fall out of the car any minute.

Cleanliness really depends on WHO rode the train and whether or not they are cleaned. Sometimes the Slants, Mods, 38s and 42s seem clean.

The seat is going to fall out of the car any minute???

Yes, like one R-46 is clean and another is dirty, like the (G) ones are a little more dirty than the (F) ones...

And yes the seats on the R-38, R-40, R-40M and R-42 feels like it is attached with the outside shell of the car, I just feel it may fall out any minute so I usually stand in the front window... :)...

Apparently, I am still confused. :confused: It makes more sense to say that the people's rear ends have a hard time stablising themselves on a seat on those cars because the car sways, but SEATS? SHELLS??? HUH?????

Archived