R44 going to early retire?

NYtransit

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When would the R44s get their next SMS? They seriously need new floors, windows, and new seats.

I doubt they're getting another one considering they are 2-4 years away from retirement (assuming things get better for the (MTA)). Besides, they are very tight on cash now, so this SMS isn't high priority. I don't think they desperately need a SMS.

I had been hearing something about a spruceup, but I don't know now. Since money concerns are an issue, I could see the R-179's or 3rd option of 160's being put off, and then another rebuild might become the cheaper alternative!

That is not an alternative, whether you like the cars or not. Why?

The cars are nearing their retirement age. There are major faults on the cars that are needed to be fixed. Such as the structure, the motors and everything. And there are other things to account for. Like lighting, new HVAC units... perhaps technology upgrades? The work programme will cost a lot. And it will not be worthwhile given the fact that the R44s will soon be off the line.

And don't forget:

If you take the R44s OOS, what will replace them? Will there will be enough cars? If this programme takes place, it may be after 2010, when all of the SMEEs are gone. Now what will take their place? Hippos? There would be transfers again that will cost time and money. So it all sums up. While it may look cheaper on paper, it will be, to put it, a worthless programme.

You have to find a contractor to rebuild your cars

You have to plan out what needs to be done

Whether major technological upgrades will be in the programme

The schedule of the modernisation

How much long could the trains run

And once they are delivered back... you have to test whether they work or not. If it's a big ka-boo, then you have to send it back. Then what's the point?

To stay safe, I would rather stick with the new cars, since there would be less hassle.

That is not an alternative, whether you like the cars or not. Why?

The cars are nearing their retirement age. There are major faults on the cars that are needed to be fixed. Such as the structure, the motors and everything. And there are other things to account for. Like lighting, new HVAC units... perhaps technology upgrades? The work programme will cost a lot. And it will not be worthwhile given the fact that the R44s will soon be off the line.

And don't forget:

If you take the R44s OOS, what will replace them? Will there will be enough cars? If this programme takes place, it may be after 2010, when all of the SMEEs are gone. Now what will take their place? Hippos? There would be transfers again that will cost time and money. So it all sums up. While it may look cheaper on paper, it will be, to put it, a worthless programme.

You have to find a contractor to rebuild your cars

You have to plan out what needs to be done

Whether major technological upgrades will be in the programme

The schedule of the modernisation

How much long could the trains run

And once they are delivered back... you have to test whether they work or not. If it's a big ka-boo, then you have to send it back. Then what's the point?

To stay safe, I would rather stick with the new cars, since there would be less hassle.

It has nothing to do with my liking them; that's just what I had heard; awhile back, and I haven't heard about it recently, because they were planning the next sets of new cars. But that could always change.

When the take cars out to do work on them like that, they do a few at a time, so that there is no shortage. The new cars ordered so far include fleet increase (so there will be more cars than when we started), so that would not be a problem.

It has nothing to do with my liking them; that's just what I had heard; awhile back, and I haven't heard about it recently, because they were planning the next sets of new cars. But that could always change.

When the take cars out to do work on them like that, they do a few at a time, so that there is no shortage. The new cars ordered so far include fleet increase (so there will be more cars than when we started), so that would not be a problem.

So? It does take time doesn't it? Since you are taking them a few sets at a time.

Besides, you have to look for contractors willing to do the job.

IMO, it is much more convenient and worthwhile to just order a new order of cars.

2m7chzl.gif

OMG LOL!

BEST FACEPALMING EVER

Archived