NFL 2008-09 season

Shortline Bus

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!!!

IMO the Eagles are the only team left in NFC playofs that could 'shock' the sports world and beat Big Blue at the Meadowlands next Sunday before the super bowl.

The Cards i give little or no shot in a possible NFC title game at Giants Stadium. While if the Panthers had played the Giants in Charlotee, i would give a good chance of winning.

I make my 2nd round NFL playoff picks by Thursday.

Now my picks for the Divisional round of the 2008-09 NFL playoffs.

NFC

Giants

Panthers

AFC

Ravens

Steelers

The only teams with a goodchance of being upset among the four home team in this round are the Giants and Titans. Baltimore is very similar to Tenn with a great defense and running game. IMO only the Titans will upset the home team. Dont count on a Vegas win lol just a guess guys.;)

Guest Charles

The number 6 seeded Baltimore Ravens have just beaten the top seeded team in the AFC, the Tennessee Titans, by the score of 13-10.

As an interesting note, Joe Falcco is the 1st rookied quarterback to win two consecutive playoff games without a sack or interception.

Also, the Number 1 seed in both the AFC and NFC have not done very well. You'd have to go back a couple of years for either Number 1 seeded team to win the Super Bowl.

Baltimore will now travel to the stadium of the winner of the Chargers-Steelers game. Tennessee now faces a long offseason.

The number 6 seeded Baltimore Ravens have just beaten the top seeded team in the AFC, the Tennessee Titans, by the score of 13-10.

As an interesting note, Joe Falcco is the 1st rookied quarterback to win two consecutive playoff games without a sack or interception.

Also, the Number 1 seed in both the AFC and NFC have not done very well. You'd have to go back a couple of years for either Number 1 seeded team to win the Super Bowl.

Baltimore will now travel to the stadium of the winner of the Chargers-Steelers game. Tennessee now faces a long offseason.

Those stadiums are either Heinz Field(Pittsburgh)or Qualcomm/Jack Murphy Stadium(San Diego)

This is not a huge upset as the Ravens did finish with a 11-5 record better than two other AFC playoff teams the Fish and the Chargers.

Baltimore looks like their on a roll similar to their 2000-01 Super Bowl Champion team.

The other Saturday game in Charoltee, Cards-Panthers just underway.

UPDATE: Arizona leading Carolina with 14-7.

If the Cards win this, that an upset. Especially some ppl. picking Carolina to go to or even winning the super bowl.

Off topic for second regarding NFL announcers. I could never understand how did Jim Nantz(CBS with the AFC)and Joe Buck (Fox with the NFC) got their jobs as #1 announcers?

I know Buck got his job because of neoptism(his dad is lengedary Baseball/NFL announcer Jack Buck)but why Nantz? I know Greg Gumbel was the #1 NFL announcer until couple of years ago w/ Nantz as the pre game/studio host. IMO Gumbel is an excellent announcer and dont understand why he 'demoted' to the #2 team on CBS?

Both Nantz and Buck oftten make mistakes with yardage info, etc.

IMO Kenny Albert or Dick Stockton for Fox or Gumbel with CBS should be the

#1 NFL announcers. Nantz best sport announcing is golf and even college basketball while Buck best sport is baseball.

Joe Buck should just be the Pre Game/Studio host of NFL games on Fox.

What you guys think? Or the tv announcers on sporting events overrated?:eek:

Gumbel was not really "demoted", Enberg was. Remember Enberg used to work with Diedorf, and CBS got James Brown from FOX to work in the studio so that bumped Gumbel to replace Enberg.

As for Stockton being the lead announcer, forget it! During the Eagles-Vikes game last year, he called the play clock the "shot clock"! He also tends to mispronounce players names too.

FTR, my favorite FOX and CBS announcers are Rosen and Eagle.

I can't believe that Jake Delome (sp) had 5 INTS!

Gumbel was not really "demoted", Enberg was. Remember Enberg used to work with Diedorf, and CBS got James Brown from FOX to work in the studio so that bumped Gumbel to replace Enberg.

As for Stockton being the lead announcer, forget it! During the Eagles-Vikes game last year, he called the play clock the "shot clock"! He also tends to mispronounce players names too.

FTR, my favorite FOX and CBS announcers are Rosen and Eagle.

I can't believe that Jake Delome (sp) had 5 INTS!

Can you believe it? The Arizona Cardinals blow out the Carolina Panthers 33-13 to advance to NFC title game. This is an upset since many ppl. picked the Panthers to make or even win the super bowl. Another reason this is a surprise pulled off by Arizona is the fact they only won something likr 5 playoff games in team history. The Cards for most of their history going back to their stays in St Louis and many moons ago in Chicago they hardly made the playoffs. I am not saying Carolina is the 1985 Bears lol but on paper they seem to be a better team. Oh well lol.

Regarding announcers that true Dick Enberg was the one 'demoted.' If anyone remembers back until until the 1997-98 season when NBC used to be the home of the AFC, Enberg was their #1 announcer for 20 years.

Gumbel was the studio host at CBS after Nantz became the #1 announcer for a season until James Brown came over.

Sam Rosen (Fox) and Ian Eagle (CBS) are also excellent broadcasters that are underrated. Another good NFL announcer is ESPN's Mike Trico. Giants radio announcer Bob Papa should be on a major station such as Fox or CBS. Papa is also excellent.

And another thing about announcers. Why is John Madden still the #1 analyst/commentator on NBC? For many years at CBS and later at Fox when he worked with Pat Summerall they were IMO the best NFL announcing team ever.

Madden is even worse than Buck or Nantz on in game mistakes such as yardage but remember John M is 70something years old. Madden should IMO just be a studio show commentator and Collingsworth the in game analyst with Al Micheals.

Just my takes feel free to reply NFL fans?

Can you believe it? The Arizona Cardinals blow out the Carolina Panthers 33-13 to advance to NFC title game. This is an upset since many ppl. picked the Panthers to make or even win the super bowl. Another reason this is a surprise pulled off by Arizona is the fact they only won something likr 5 playoff games in team history. The Cards for most of their history going back to their stays in St Louis and many moons ago in Chicago they hardly made the playoffs. I am not saying Carolina is the 1985 Bears lol but on paper they seem to be a better team. Oh well lol.

Regarding announcers that true Dick Enberg was the one 'demoted.' If anyone remembers back until until the 1997-98 season when NBC used to be the home of the AFC, Enberg was their #1 announcer for 20 years.

Gumbel was the studio host at CBS after Nantz became the #1 announcer for a season until James Brown came over.

Sam Rosen (Fox) and Ian Eagle (CBS) are also excellent broadcasters that are underrated. Another good NFL announcer is ESPN's Mike Trico. Giants radio announcer Bob Papa should be on a major station such as Fox or CBS. Papa is also excellent.

And another thing about announcers. Why is John Madden still the #1 analyst/commentator on NBC? For many years at CBS and later at Fox when he worked with Pat Summerall they were IMO the best NFL announcing team ever.

Madden is even worse than Buck or Nantz on in game mistakes such as yardage but remember John M is 70something years old. Madden should IMO just be a studio show commentator and Collingsworth the in game analyst with Al Micheals.

Just my takes feel free to reply NFL fans?

Did you see the FOX commenters? They all picked the Panthers including Michael Strahan! Ironically, they lost.

I think that the Giants have a 25% chance of winning today.

DAMN IT: Giants are losing 7-3.

The upset express weekend continues. The 2007-08 super bowl champions NY Giants are sent packing as Philly wins at a cold Meadowlands 23-11.

I am sure tens of millions has been lost at Vegas this weekend alone. And the NFL playoffs is becoming a combination of the NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs(no offense NHL fans)and the NCAA Basketball Tournment.

It's no longer important to have a great record season, it more important now to be 'hot' at the tournment just like the college basketball playoffs and NHL post season.

And for Gary Meyers the NY Daily News Columinst and NFL editor. From now on. Keep your predictions to yourself lol.

Guest Charles

Personally I like Jim Nantz and Phil Simms on CBS. Jim has that stereotypical sportscaster's voice, and Phil Simms does a great job on the color commentary. Greg Gumbel and Dan Dierdorf serve as an excellent No. 2 tandem of announcers.

I don't watch FOX that much though, possibly because I'm more of an AFC person. I hear Joe Buck is good from baseball, and sometimes I'll watch Frank Caliendo's picks segment on their pregame show. Other than that I don't watch FOX too much. What does everyone else watch? FOX or CBS?

About NBC's sunday night football program, I think it's pretty good. I really like Keith and Dan's commentary in the studio; their humor is really good. I like Al Michaels as the play-by-play announcer, but I do think John Madden may want to move to the studio next year.

Finally, great quote from Michael Strahan today. After the Giants lost, on the postgame he actually said "I'd coach my team NOT to be the Number 1 seed" or something related to that.

And as of this post, it is Pittsburgh 28, San Diego 17.

Personally I like Jim Nantz and Phil Simms on CBS. Jim has that stereotypical sportscaster's voice, and Phil Simms does a great job on the color commentary. Greg Gumbel and Dan Dierdorf serve as an excellent No. 2 tandem of announcers.

I don't watch FOX that much though, possibly because I'm more of an AFC person. I hear Joe Buck is good from baseball, and sometimes I'll watch Frank Caliendo's picks segment on their pregame show. Other than that I don't watch FOX too much. What does everyone else watch? FOX or CBS?

About NBC's sunday night football program, I think it's pretty good. I really like Keith and Dan's commentary in the studio; their humor is really good. I like Al Michaels as the play-by-play announcer, but I do think John Madden may want to move to the studio next year.

Finally, great quote from Michael Strahan today. After the Giants lost, on the postgame he actually said "I'd coach my team NOT to be the Number 1 seed" or something related to that.

And as of this post, it is Pittsburgh 28, San Diego 17.

Personally i dont care i just watch the NFL games i want to watch. I am worried though by end of the 2012 season(super bowl Feb 2013 game)the end of the current TV contract w/ NBC, CBS, Fox and ESPN that most of the playoff and regular season could go to cable or even pay per view.

But that later and another topic.

Simms IMO is the best NFL TV Color Commentator/Analyst anywhere right now. Madden was the best ever NFL Commentator for many years but like an a great ballplayer it time to reduce his role. Put Madden in studio w/ either Dan Patrick or Bob Costas and use him like Charles Barkely is used on TNT/TBS NBA telecats or Don Cherry is used for NHL Hockey Night in Canada broadcasts.

Best current NFL lead play-play announcers is close but i would say Greg Gumbel. 2nd is Kenny Albert and 3rd is Nantz. CBS has by far the best NFL announcing crew in biz today IMO.

Back to the games. We also have an shot an all Pennslyavnia super bowl also.

The Steelers and Eagles did play in early in the season too.

Guest Charles

Best current NFL lead play-play announcers is close but i would say Greg Gumbel. 2nd is Kenny Albert and 3rd is Nantz. CBS has by far the best NFL announcing crew in biz today IMO.

I must say I prefer Greg Gumbel's NCAA Basketball calling. He's really good, along with Gus Johnson.

Back to the NFL, who is Kenny Albert paired with on FOX?

Archived