NFL 2008-09 season

Shortline Bus

Let me be the first guy on the planet to make super bowl pick. The Steelers win win their 2nd super bowl in 4 years and will beat the Cards easy. Pittsburgh will make history by winning their NFL record 6th Super Bowl.

FYI. Not trying to sound like an 'old man' or purist' but why is this game (Pittsburgh/Baltimore)ending at nearly 1030pm at night in Late January from a fan view? This is very late to end this game and the NFL is lucky tommorow (1/19/09)is a holiday.

The NFL "late round' Playoff games is getting almost as bad as the MLB World Series and NBA finals ending so late east coast wise.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Charles
FYI. Not trying to sound like an 'old man' or purist' but why is this game (Pittsburgh/Baltimore)ending at nearly 1030pm at night in Late January from a fan view? This is very late to end this game and the NFL is lucky tommorow (1/19/09)is a holiday.

The NFL "late round' Playoff games is getting almost as bad as the MLB World Series and NBA finals ending so late east coast wise.

I like these times. The weather is perfect football weather. I wouldn't mind staying up for a good game. I'm sure the fans couldn't be happier and I'd stay up as long as possible at home.

I like these times. The weather is perfect football weather. I wouldn't mind staying up for a good game. I'm sure the fans couldn't be happier and I'd stay up as long as possible at home.

Charles you are 14 years old lol and want every excuse probably to miss school lol. I am an adult and have to work (as a 'sub teacher' no less)on most weekdays up by 6am so if the game goes past 1130pm i have to miss it.

Actually on serious matter many people blame the ratings drop for NBA championship/World series in recent years besides compepation from the internet and more channnel from games ending at Midnight or later East Coast time sometimes.

Guest Charles
Charles you are 14 years old lol and want every excuse probably to miss school lol. I am an adult and have to work (as a 'sub teacher' no less)on most weekdays up by 6am so if the game goes past 1130pm i have to miss it.

Actually on serious matter many people blame the ratings drop for NBA championship/World series besides compepation from the internet and more channnel from games ending at Midnight or later East Coast time sometimes.

LOL I am 14 but stay up late every night...yes, like you I gotta wake up every morning at 6 to catch the bus to get to school...I tend to fall asleep in school :)

Most NBA Championships tip off at 8 PM Eastern time, so they'll end at around 11 PM. Same thing for baseball, but baseball is slower so it's unpredictable. However, I haven't heard that the ratings were blamed on time issues. The ratings drop, from what I heard, is because of lack of interest (Phillies vs. Rays instead of say Cubs vs. Red Sox) or simply ppl don't appreciate the sport anymore (NBA with its numerous scandals, most notoriously the betting scandal of Tim Donohue)

Still if this upcoming Steelers-Cards is a blowout this could still be among the lowest tv rated super bowls of all time. If this was Baltimore-Arizona super bowl, NBC-TV exces would be crying right now.

FYI off topic. By taking '2' different teams to super bowl (making it 3 times & winning already once)is Kurt Warner an NFL Hall of Famer? Or even Dovovan McNabb with the 'suprise' run to conference title for the Eagles this season.

Guest Charles
Still if this upcoming Steelers-Cards is a blowout this could still be among the lowest tv rated super bowls of all time. If this was Baltimore-Arizona super bowl, NBC-TV exces would be crying right now.

No, I don't think so. A good majority of households will tune in to watch the Super Bowl. The Cardinals still have a huge fan base in Chicago. So you've got the Midwest. The West Coast will most likely be watching for the Cardinals. And people in St. Louis will watch because they absolutely adore Kurt Warner. Plus, most people will tune in because the Cardinals haven't won a championship in 61 years. History could be made. We all want the Cardinals to win but we know the Steelers will win. Lol. And for Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania will be watching. People in Baltimore will be watching too, rooting for the Cardinals. And people in Florida will watch because, after all, it is in Tampa. So most people will be watching, and nah, NBC TV Execs won't cry. They got all their money by selling the advertisement blocks, they've got their money so they couldn't be happier.

No, I don't think so. A good majority of households will tune in to watch the Super Bowl. The Cardinals still have a huge fan base in Chicago. So you've got the Midwest. The West Coast will most likely be watching for the Cardinals. And people in St. Louis will watch because they absolutely adore Kurt Warner. Plus, most people will tune in because the Cardinals haven't won a championship in 61 years. History could be made. We all want the Cardinals to win but we know the Steelers will win. Lol. And for Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania will be watching. People in Baltimore will be watching too, rooting for the Cardinals. And people in Florida will watch because, after all, it is in Tampa. So most people will be watching, and nah, NBC TV Execs won't cry. They got all their money by selling the advertisement blocks, they've got their money so they couldn't be happier.

Charles admit the NFL is your 1st love in sports. Charles have you been to St Louis or even the midwest? I have. Yes they are a few Cards fans in St Louis as they only re-located to Arizona 20 years ago. However in Chicago they have partciuarly no fans it's all Bears country as the RedBirds left Chicago for St Louis in early 1960's.

The Cards until this year was in last place nationally among fan popularity among NFL teams.

The only thing the Cards have is that they are a 'huge underdog' and cinderlla vs the Steelers.

Pittsburgh on other hand is always 2-3rd nationally in polls, and even globally among NFL fans popularity wise.

Of course no matter who playing, the super bowl is usually the highest and most watched TV event in United States every year. With that say, TV Exces still think this could the lowest rated super bowl ever if this is a blowout either way.

Charles no knock against you and not insulting you but correcting you. However I am a 36 year old man and got my college degree in majoring in Broadcast Journalism 10 years ago, so i been around the block more than you.

I'll still watch the Super Bowl, but no matter who wins, I'll be salty either way. If Arizona wins, of course its because they beat the Eagles. If Pittsburgh wins its because they just won one 3 years ago, and it would be their NFL-leading 6th. Also they play in Pennsylvania which would make the Super Bowl titles lopsided in PA.

How great. I really dislike this 2-week layoff between the conference titles and the super bowl. Why they can't play it this week?

I know it's because of television and that the super bowl will now be permanetly be held the 1st or 2nd Sunday in Febuary. Still annoying as i dislike the endless media bulid up to the game.:tdown:

Super Bowl is no longer just a championship sporting event. It become the combo of an 4th of July and a winter carnival super tv show rolled into one. If i want entertainment i can watch the Jerry Springer show or the MTV video awards lol.(joking)

How great. I really dislike this 2-week layoff between the conference titles and the super bowl. Why they can't play it this week?

I know it's because of television and that the super bowl will now be permanetly be held the 1st or 2nd Sunday in Febuary. Still annoying as i dislike the endless media bulid up to the game.:tdown:

Super Bowl is no longer just a championship sporting event. It become the combo of an 4th of July and a winter carnival super tv show rolled into one. If i want entertainment i can watch the Jerry Springer show or the MTV video awards lol.(joking)

I agree!

BTW, it is at the first Sunday of February.

Now my pick for the super bowl. Steelers will win and maybe easy.;)

Although they offense is below average, Pittsburgh defense is so good, they playing very similar to the 2000-01 Champion Ravens.

For those of you picking an upset for Arizona remember. While the Cards offense is among the best in NFL this past season, ie Warner and FitzGereald, their defense is not great. The Cards defense does not have any superstar ie Strahan, etc that could pull an upset that the Giants did in beating the Pats.

Guest Charles
Now my pick for the super bowl. Steelers will win and maybe easy.B)

Although they offense is below average, Pittsburgh defense is so good, they playing very similar to the 2000-01 Champion Ravens.

For those of you picking an upset for Arizona remember. While the Cards offense is among the best in NFL this past season, ie Warner and FitzGereald, their defense is not great. The Cards defense does not have any superstar ie Strahan, etc that could pull an upset that the Giants did in beating the Pats.

I agree with you.

Who do you think will be MVP? Ben Rotheslisberger is the favorite, the Steelers got loads of talent.

And Kurt Warner is a free agent at the end of this season.

1) Will Arizona re-sign him?

2) Will he appear in another Super Bowl?

3) Should he retire?

4) Is he Hall-of-Fame worthy?

I'd say he IS Hall of Fame worthy but he won't reach a Super Bowl again if Arizona doesn't re-sign him.

Few possible controersial of game. Did Big Ben cross the goal line for TD? IMO he did and Pittsburgh should be on top 6-0.

Instead the refs ruled he did not and Steelers settle for field goal and lead 3-0.

Dumb question. Does player need to cross pass the goal line in NFL for TD or only touch it?

Few possible controersial of game. Did Big Ben cross the goal line for TD? IMO he did and Pittsburgh should be on top 6-0.

Instead the refs ruled he did not and Steelers settle for field goal and lead 3-0.

Dumb question. Does player need to cross pass the goal line in NFL for TD or only touch it?

Your talking about the challenge. The ball has to cross the goal line in order for a touchdown, not your head without the ball crossing it yet.

Archived