My condolence goes out to all NYC Bus drivers

Coolbreezing

It's unfortunate what happen to Mr. Thomas. As it is noticed, it could have happened to anyone public servant. I don't have to be a NYC bus driver to feel the pain, all I must be is a hard worker. And as a hard working person striving to make ends meet, it brings tears to the eye to hear something as such.

My advise to all NYC bus drivers is to prevent being confrontational even when you know you're right. Times are hard and people are getting desperate. Although you might be strong enough to overcome your opponent, you don't know what he may be carrying. Your job first priority is your safety first and the safety of your commuters after. Most bus drivers would have contacted dispatch had they given the chance but this case was one where the bus driver was not given that chance. My advice to your is be alert at all time because as time gets harder you'll faced desperate people. This is a time when bus drivers should be concern about the route their given in relation to time and area.

It's unfortunate what happen to Mr. Thomas. As it is noticed, it could have happened to anyone public servant. I don't have to be a NYC bus driver to feel the pain, all I must be is a hard worker. And as a hard working person striving to make ends meet, it brings tears to the eye to hear something as such.

My advise to all NYC bus drivers is to prevent being confrontational even when you know you're right. Times are hard and people are getting desperate. Although you might be strong enough to overcome your opponent, you don't know what he may be carrying. Your job first priority is your safety first and the safety of your commuters after. Most bus drivers would have contacted dispatch had they given the chance but this case was one where the bus driver was not given that chance. My advice to your is be alert at all time because as time gets harder you'll faced desperate people. This is a time when bus drivers should be concern about the route their given in relation to time and area.

Dispatch says "let them ride". Free rides, and/or free transfers after free rides is nothing new. "Have a seat", or O.K is all that needs be said, the farebeat wants a transfer also, give it to them. Coolbreezing all B/Os are told this by MTA and our union so this doesn't happen. I didn't know this driver, but I do know alot don't listen, and that is the number 1 reason for driver assaults. Sadly a no to a free ride or transfer, can have grave results. Sadly assaults on drivers are usually due to the fact the person already had problems that pissed them off, and the driver there in that uniform, who doesn't carry a weapon, cause of MTA policy, is an easy target soon as the driver says one wrong word. It is usually No! to something trivial (free ride or transfer). I worked (did a pick) on the two farebeat/assault Bronx routes. Bx36 and Bx41, the Ghetto Lines. "I don't have the fare", "Ay you Bro I don't have it", "Mumble, Mumble, Mumble", "I'm short", etc..., whatever. I just shrug my shoulder, say alright. They come back for a transfer, I press the button, and give them the transfer. It does dawn on the driver at times, that the others who paid, see this and don't like this, cause they had to pay, and here this person gets a free ride and a transfer. Those are the same people who won't come to your defense when you get assaulted, and would rather say "he should of just gave it to them"...........

Amen.

God Bless Mr Thomas and any bus driver.

Archived