Transit Pass

Joe

My dad asked me today what kind of transportation pass you get working for the TA, I didn't know, but figured i'd ask here. Do transit employees only get a MetroCard or do they get an LIRR or MNR pass too?

IIRC if you work for Transit you have an ID or a Metro-Card look-a-like with your pic on it and you can board the buses for free and/or you flash your ID @ the ticket booth from the Metro-North Rail Road and Long Island Rail Road station. My friend is C/R and when he flashed his ID @ the ticket booth in Penn Station he got a ticket w/o paying for one!

What if there's no booth, no free ride then?

They can still board the Long Island Rail Road or Metro-North Rail Road trains and when the C/R calls "tickets" the TA worker can flash they ID or Metro-Card look-a-like the C/R don't say anything. I seen this dude do that on the Long Beach train one night coming home on the Long Island Rail Road and he worked for Metro-North Rail Road!

Yes. It's a Metrocard with a red backing that has your photo ID on it. Don't go around flashing it crazily either. I know a ex-MTA employee that got mugged for hers. She said that some people know what it is and rob MTA employees for it.

Yes. It's a Metrocard with a red backing that has your photo ID on it. Don't go around flashing it crazily either. I know a ex-MTA employee that got mugged for hers. She said that some people know what it is and rob MTA employees for it.

Wait ppl are robbing TA workers for their Metro-Card ID...now that's some real desperate crap right there. I'm glad she's alright....ppl are hateful and envious for no reason....lawd

Working for TA you get ONLY a metrocard that ONLY works for TA subways and TA buses.

Some times as a coutesy they will let you ride on the LIRR or Metro North for free but it's getting more and more rare. If they get caught they will be fired for doing so. Those trains put spies on board as passengers looking for this infraction.

The token booth clerks are 50/50 when it comes to opening the gate for you even though you both work for the TA. They are generally a vey unhappy disgruntled group of employees.

I have been told many many times on the LIRR that "we don't honor that", in reference to my TA pass.

Damn :D I was happy thinking I could go ride the MNRR to go hang out with my uncle whenever I wanted.

The MTA doesn't want to lose the money they make off of there employees. There are a tremendous amount of employees that live on Long Island, Upstate NY, and Pennsylvania.

I don't ride the Metro North but I've heard that there conductors are alot more willing to show the courtesy of letting fellow MTA employees ride for free. But the LIRR I know from experience has a ton of prick conductors especially the females. I have never had a female conductor for the LIRR let me ride for free.

The TA pass doesn't work on the private bus lines or LI bus either.

Can you at least can an employee discount on the ticket price if you show your TA ID?

HAhahahaha thats hysterical. NO there is no discount for TA employees. LIRR and MetroNorth get passes for themselves and spouses.

I've told you many times the TA hates it's own employees more than anyone could imagine until you work down here for a few years and see what goes on.

Working for TA you get ONLY a metrocard that ONLY works for TA subways and TA buses.

Some times as a coutesy they will let you ride on the LIRR or Metro North for free but it's getting more and more rare. If they get caught they will be fired for doing so. Those trains put spies on board as passengers looking for this infraction.

The token booth clerks are 50/50 when it comes to opening the gate for you even though you both work for the TA. They are generally a vey unhappy disgruntled group of employees.

I have been told many many times on the LIRR that "we don't honor that", in reference to my TA pass.

All employees are supposed to swipe their metrocards. That is TA rules. We get bulletins every month informing us of this. Every tour we get reminded of this. Supervision will write us up. Sorry I don't feel like being written up for some one else. In our department we have many undercover supervision looking at us. I got this first hand from a former supervisor. Personally if I feel everything is cool I will let you use the gate. But if supervision is right their...swipe. By the way at some terminal stations we have had RTO supervision come to the both telling us to keep the gate locked. They want all their employees swiping.

They want all (MTA) Employees to swipe so they can keep track of you. When you swipe it tracked by a computer tells them the time and location you swiped at. Now lets say your running late the the Agent don't let you in and you swipe when you should have been on the payroll your in trouble. The Supervisor you report to is also in trouble if they didn't cut your time. If I was in a situation when I know I can't swipe I wouldn't I pay the $2 if I had to but I never hold my train for the agent if I seen him running for my train.

I always swipe because I'm always where I'm suppose to be so I don't have problems. Sometimes I have a problem with the swipe then I may need the gate. However I heard some won't open it in that situation as well then the next option is call local supervision.

So once you swipe, you are on MTA time?

Dave is correct and so is Jah. When I was a B/O, I had MTA Bus, MNRR, and LIRR. All have a different passes (MNRR and LIRR looking most official, while MTA Bus, and our NYCTA/MaBSTOA passes, looking cheapest). When I was a B/O, I also would honor Liberty Lines passes, as they honored ours, and have when I rode the Bee-Line buses at times. All don't do it, and it does suck that all in the transportation business, don't honor one another. We are the least of the ridership on other systems, and they are on ours. So no one is losing anything much. MTA agencies should honor all MTA employees, we should honor NJT, Bee-Line, and MNRR. We all move people in the Metro Area..........

To Jah, it would be funny if NJT honors more MTA employees than LIRR. I've heard from others the same thing you say about them, and MNRR is more honorable. Their only complaint was they want to ride the subways for free. They tell the T/O, and C/Rs this, forgetting that that is an issue to take up with MTA Stations Dept.........

To Jah, it would be funny if NJT honors more MTA employees than LIRR. I've heard from others the same thing you say about them, and MNRR is more honorable. Their only complaint was they want to ride the subways for free. They tell the T/O, and C/Rs this, forgetting that that is an issue to take up with MTA Stations Dept.........

I have had LIRR conductors say that exact thing to me. I tell them that the station booth clerks won't let me in either most times. It's really a disgrace.

Archived