New York City Subway Route T-Shirts

Earle Baldwin

As part of Saturday's annual holiday season family outing to New York City, our railfan oriented itinerary included a stop at Grand Central Terminal for Metro-North's kaleidoscope light show and the Transit Museum's model train display. Holiday festivities aside, the museum store has long been one of our favorite shopping destinations in the city. The question is not whether I will spend anything but how much will actually be spent!

Saturday's visit was no exception. While my son and I were making our selections, an assortment of subway route t-shirts attracted my attention. I'm sure some NYCTF members are aware of these shirts. Their prominent feature is the subway route signage so familiar to passengers and enthusiasts. Included directly beneath the route number or letter is the appropriate destination description. For example, we purchased a 1 Train shirt for my son to celebrate his very first subway ride that morning. The black garment proudly displays the familiar Seventh Avenue local symbol of a white numeral 1 inside a red circle with "Uptown and the Bronx" spelled out in white underneath the circle logo. On the back near the top is a small circular white "NYC Subway Line" licensing logo. Since my wife-to-be was living in the Van Cortlandt Park neighborhood when we started dating, the 1 Train is a family favorite. Also, it just so happens it was the train which provided my youngster's first subway ride that morning, making it an even more appropriate selection! Given these reasons, we were very pleased a shirt was available for the 1 Train.

Pricing for the shirt is $18 for youth and $20 for adult sizes. In addition to being for sale at the museum, shirts can also be purchased on line at http://www.transitmuseumstore.com where illustrations of them are included for your shopping convenience. The shirts are extremely nice and provide a stylish way to let the world know you're a fan and supporter of efficient public transportation.

Best regards,

Earle

• 7 months later...
How come no IRT 2 shirt?

im guessing you have to buy it online which is sold there. By Station

I own a (4) Brooklyn to Bronx and NYCS routes in a circle..

I might get (2)(5) West Farms Sq- East Tremont Avenue

I wish bus routes would be sold

• 5 months later...
Where exactly is the store in Grand Central? I'm familiar with the station except I never realized nor knew there was a store there. haha Thanks

Walk to the west end of GCT on the upper level. The easy way to explain it: Face the big board. Stand close to it. Turn right, walk straight staying close to the big board as you walk across. Keep going underneath the stairs and keep walking straight. You should be able to see it slightly to your right and ahead of you.

Whats a map? A gps?...............

GPS would be too easy, plus I don't know if you would get a good signal in GCT. Also, how many people can actually read maps these days as in orient your self using a compass in the middle of no where?

GPS would be too easy, plus I don't know if you would get a good signal in GCT. Also, how many people can actually read maps these days as in orient your self using a compass in the middle of no where?

Nah I know I was making a joke, In this day & age, The good 'ol map is taking a back seat

I have never tried with mine, but I have always had a good directional sence. The only times I have ever gotten lost have been when following my GPS. Lousey commie piece of crap.

I'm a driver and I use maps all the time. I need to have a picture in my head of where I'm at and where i'm going and not follow directions. Also some gps's dont do truck routes.

Archived