MLB hotstove and off season news 2008-09

Shortline Bus

Wanted to create a topic based on MLB Baseball and the off season leading to start of the 2009 season.

First big news. ESPN on their wed. morning sportscenter is reporting along w/ NY Post that CC Sabhita will sign a 7 year $170 Million contract with the Yanks assuming he passes a physical exam. CC for a while a California native wanted to sign with the Giants or Angels before the Bombers give him the highest contract ever for a Pitcher.

Also the Mets are this close to signing A Rod too. Feel free to reply MLB fans?

Thanks

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wanted to create a topic based on MLB Baseball and the off season leading to start of the 2009 season.

First big news. ESPN on their wed. morning sportscenter is reporting along w/ NY Post that CC Sabhita will sign a 7 year $170 Million contract with the Yanks assuming he passes a physical exam. CC for a while a California native wanted to sign with the Giants or Angels before the Bombers give him the highest contract ever for a Pitcher.

Also the Mets are this close to signing A Rod too. Feel free to reply MLB fans?

Thanks

7 year, 170 million...Jesus Christ. Sabathia isn't even in the league of Johan Santana. Why do the Yankees keep making the same mistakes?

7 year, 170 million...Jesus Christ. Sabathia isn't even in the league of Johan Santana. Why do the Yankees keep making the same mistakes?

The yankees wanna be the best team and they think that if they sign a player a contract with 5 or more years, they have a better chance of winning several world series.

This is what I predict for opening day roster:

Pitchers

-------

1-Sabathia

2-Wang

3-Burnett

4-Sheets

5-Chamberlain

Lineup

-------

C-Jorge Posada/Jose Moilna

1B-Mark Texiera

2B-Robinson Cano

3B-Alex Rodriguez

SS-Derek Jeter

LF-Johnny Damon

CF-Mike Cameron/Brett Gardner

RF-Xavier Nady

DH-Hideki Matsui/Jorge Posada

What do you think?

Pitchers

-------

1-Sabathia

2-Wang

3-Burnett

4-Sheets

5-Chamberlain

Lineup

-------

1B-Mark Texiera

2B-Robinson Cano

3B-Alex Rodriguez

SS-Derek Jeter

LF-Johnny Damon

RF-Xavier Nady

What do you think?

Probably a great guess. It amazing the Yanks have more money these days.

as a yankees fan here's what I wanna see...

CF Damon

SS Jeter

3B Arod

RF Manny Ramirez (3 year deal)

DH Matsui

C Posada

LF Nady

1B Swisher

2B Cano

SP Sabathia

SP Wang

SP Sheets

SP Joba

SP Pettitte or Hughes

I'm fine with getting Tex as well as long as the deal isn't for more than 6 years...7 MAYBE, but i'd prefer 6 - in which case Tex would be 1B and Swisher would play Out field.

but NO LOWE and NO BURNETT, those guys are disasters in waiting

Pitchers

-------

1-Sabathia

2-Wang

3-Burnett

4-Sheets

5-Chamberlain

Lineup

-------

1B-Mark Texiera

2B-Robinson Cano

3B-Alex Rodriguez

SS-Derek Jeter

LF-Johnny Damon

RF-Xavier Nady

What do you think?

I don't think Mark Texiera want to play with the Yankees, he is looking over 10 years with $180 millions. I glad Yankees got C.C. Sabathia and A.J. Burnett but what about Manny Ramirez?? I heard on the news that he want to play next year doens't care which teams he going to play and he not ready to retire. He goal is to reach 700 home runs

David:cool:

Mets & Yankees Fan from Lakeland,Florida

Guest Charles

I think the Mets made a great deal trading a putz in Heilman for a Putz in J.J.

What worries me is that both JJ and K-Rod both want to be the closer. Things could branch off from there.

Hopeful starting lineups.

C-Brian Schneider/Ramon Castro

1B-Carlos Delgado (40 more homers this year? :))

2B-Get rid of Luis Castillo. Please.

SS-Jose! Reyes! (although occasionally I do believe he is a bit overrated.)

3B-David! Wright!

LF-Well well well. No more Endy Chavez, which sucks. I guess Daniel Murphy or Angel Pagan might get the Opening Day job here. Or possibly Fernando Tatis. The Mets should address this.

CF-Carlos Beltran

RF-Ryan Church (Let's hope he stays healthy.)

Pitchers

Johan Santana

John Maine

Mike Pelfrey

Sigh. Did the Mets not pick up Oliver Perez's contract?

Oh yes. And a void here. Hello!

Relief

JJ Putz

K-Rod

Jon Niese-Hopefully he'll have a David Price Season

Connor Robertson-Who has EVER heard of him?

and a couple of others. Who I bother not to mention.

And by the way. Have you noticed this trend of pitchers with abbreviated names coming to NY? JJ Putz, AJ Burnett, CC Sabathia, etc. I guess real men don't want to be called "Joseph Jason Putz," "Allen James Burnett", or "Carsten Charles Sabathia." Just pointing out the obvious here.

Guest Charles

And I'm sorry to all the Yankees fans but--

The Yankees are a major reason as to why baseball is less popular than football, say. They just eat up the free market because their owners are wealthy multibillionaires. True talent is not about who can make the most flashy offers. True talent is good management recruiting good players for a reasonable price that entices fans to come watch games, which THEN generates revenue for possibly larger payrolls.

The Yankees are a major reason as to why baseball is less popular than football, say. They just eat up the free market because their owners are wealthy multibillionaires. True talent is not about who can make the most flashy offers. True talent is good management recruiting good players for a reasonable price that entices fans to come watch games, which THEN generates revenue for possibly larger payrolls.

They're not the only ones... look at your Santana and the Red Sox's Dice-K. Mucho moolah spent for them too.

It may be true that the Yankees are big spenders, but don't blame it solely on them. Everybody wants the big names. It really depends on who gets it. A small team gets a big name player... everyone is shocked. The Yankees get a big name player... they spend too much.

They're not the only ones... look at your Santana and the Red Sox's Dice-K. Mucho moolah spent for them too.

It may be true that the Yankees are big spenders, but don't blame it solely on them. Everybody wants the big names. It really depends on who gets it. A small team gets a big name player... everyone is shocked. The Yankees get a big name player... they spend too much.

good post

sort of like...

K-Rod celebrates a strikeout he's "spiritual and religious". Papelb**** celebrates a strikeout, he's "fired up." Joba Chamberlain celebrates a strikeout, he's "showing up the opposition". Double standards suck.

IMO its unfair to compare the NFL vs MLB baseball because of this main reason. Pro football only has 16 regular season while MLB has 162 games. A better comprasion would be the NFL tv ratings to either the summer or winter olympics.

Not to metion the huge gambling factor where people who may have no idea what a linebacker and a nose tackle is?

Charles you make a good point on why MLB national tv ratings has gone done and the Yankees free spending does turn off fans in places like KC and Pittsburgh.

Archived