MLB hotstove and off season news 2008-09

Shortline Bus

actually there are still going to be a lot of lower cost seats available in the new stadium (half the seats in the stadium are going to be under $45). it's the suits and the corporate weenies in the box seats who leave in the fifth inning who are going to have to pay more :)

ok,what about Citi/tax payer field...fans shouldn't pay more since the stadium have a title sponsor...and IMO the new Yankees stadium is waste there's nothing wrong with the old stadium.

Ya know what, I really hate the double standards everyone puts on the Yankees. Some smaller team (no offense) gets a big name contract, everyone is amazed. The Yankees get a big name contract, they spend too much. Not that I'm saying that this extravagant spending is justified at all, but just saying.

baseball teams as whole like to spend a lot of money on one baseball player,lol

if that player suck,the fans get mad at the baseball team and they will boo the player off field!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well as a Yankees fan, I don't get why people make such a fuss if they sign big name people. Back in 2005, people made fuss about Randy Johnson coming to New York. They don't do that to the other teams, for example, the San Francisco Giants just signed Randy Johnson to a one-year deal. No one is making a fuss about it.

Well as a Yankees fan, I don't get why people make such a fuss if they sign big name people. Back in 2005, people made fuss about Randy Johnson coming to New York. They don't do that to the other teams, for example, the San Francisco Giants just signed Randy Johnson to a one-year deal. No one is making a fuss about it.

Double standards, dude, double standards.

got that right. i'm sick of having to "justify" the Yankees spending to other teams. if you had money and you could buy something that would possibly make you do better, and the money was no big deal you'd buy it...whether it's transit memorabilia to show your friends, or whatever (just trying to use a transit related example) well that is all the Yankees are doing just add a bunch of zeroes on the end and its a much larger scale.

in other words if you gotta hate dont hate the playa hate the game...

Well said. Its not like the Yanks have broken any MLB rules but ethically they could be questioned. MLB Players Union bosss Donald Fehr may go insane with this long talked suggestion but IMO MLB should have a 'soft level' salary cap. Meaning a cap on signing free agents but signing 'home grown' players from the teams minor league system could be unlimited.

• 2 weeks later...
Shifting gears the MLB Baseball Hall of Fame class of 2009 was selected today. Rickey Henderson and Jim Rice are going to Cooperstown. Meanwhile other 'finalists' like Andre Dawson, Bert Bevelyn and newest finalist David Cone came up short.

Any reactions?

I'm suprised Don Mattingly is not on that list yet. Lucky for Jim Rice, last year of eleigiblity, and got in.

I know i may get hate mail from Yankee fans here lol but I did see Mr. Mattingly play. Very good carrer but IMO not a Hall of Famer. Rice dominated for 7-8 years, Mattingly only 5-6 years.

Sadly without injuries Mattingly is a hall of famer.

If any Yankee IMO that should be in faster than Donnie Baseball for the hOF it's Ron Gidury.

I'm suprised Don Mattingly is not on that list yet. Lucky for Jim Rice, last year of eleigiblity, and got in.

once again more baseball writers obsessed with numbers and stats. Rice was a solid player, but nothing more. Because he was close to a lot of numbers they put him in, and because of sentiment because it was his last year. He was never among "the very best" in the game when he played...sure he had some good seasons, but he was never a legend the way a lot of HoFers are supposed to be like Rickey, or in the past few years like Cal Ripken, Boggs, or Tony Gwynn.

and he benefitted from his home ball park a lot...his numbers on the road over his career aren't that great if the stat heads out there want to play that game...

but years from now Jim Rice will be used as an excuse to allow another, lesser player into the hall of fame.

I'm a Yankee fan, but Bernie Williams is not a HoFer...he's similar to Rice b/c they both were "very good" but not really HoF worthy.

Meanwhile Bert Blyleven gets left out again even though most people hear his name and think "good pitcher from the old days!" because the writers sit there and go "he didn't win 300 games..."

Most people who hear Rice go..."who?"

I am so sorry, METS fans, for thos eof you who thought Derek Lowe is going to Queens, he just signed a 4 yr-60 million deal. Better than Minaya's 3 yr-36 million.

If this was the Yankees who signed Lowe, there will be debates. Whenever a small team signs a big-name player, nothing happens.

Players who had excellent careers elected to the HOF in recent years like Tony Perez, Kirby Puctwett, Willie Stagell, Don Sutton, Phil Nikero and Jim Rice has 'lowered' the standard of the hall of fame.

Cooperstown, NY relies heavily on the Hall of Fame Cermonies in July for profits,etc. So it's a business decision too and thus the need to place someone in, even if the player has weaker stats.

IMO only 'greats' elected in recent years like Rickey, Cal Ripken, Tony Gwynn should go to Cooperstown.

Players who had excellent careers elected to the HOF in recent years like Tony Perez, Kirby Puctwett, Willie Stagell, Don Sutton, Phil Nikero and Jim Rice has 'lowered' the standard of the hall of fame.

Cooperstown, NY relies heavily on the Hall of Fame Cermonies in July for profits,etc. So it's a business decision too and thus the need to place someone in, even if the player has weaker stats.

IMO only 'greats' elected in recent years like Rickey, Cal Ripken, Tony Gwynn should go to Cooperstown.

Why not Goose Goassage?

Why not Goose Goassage?

Goose actually IMO belongs in the HOF for this reason. Goose 'pioneered' the modern "Closer" position. Although Rollie Fingers is credited as the first relief pitcher to make Cooperstown, Goosage was the Marino Rivera of his day. The Yankees dont make the world series in both 1978 & 1981 (winning it in '78)without him.

Plus Goosage was the closer for the Padres who made it to the 1984 world series that upset the Cubs in the playoffs that year. Goose was among the best closers for 7-8 years in MLB. Yes he belongs IMO.

Bruce Sutter was also one of the best closers ever to date (ie other than Rivera & Goose)but he did it only for a short period of time say between 1979-1983 about a 4-year period. I m not sure Sutter belongs in Cooperstown.

Trevor Hoffman, Frank Thomas, Tom Glavine, John Smoltz, should just retire because if they want to get into the HOF, they gotta wait 5 years. Mike Mussina and Greg Maddux are smart that they retired.

You might ask why Sammy Sosa, he still gotta few year left of him.

Oh Here my take on the players Ulmer listed on whether i think they HOF.

Maddux-"yes' no question a 1st ballot selection.

Smoltz-"Yes' The only 'homegrown' pitcher of the great Braves pitching staff of the 1990's who should get in IMO.

Glavine-"YES but IMO not a great pitcher' but may get in years later. Even with 300 wins IMO is not necceasirly a great Pitcher. Curt Schilling, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez with less wins than Glavine at their peak was much better.

Thomas and Hoffman will probably get in the HOF but IMO they are not. Especially Thomas due to injuries cutting down his carrer and Hoffman is way overrated.

All of the other formentioned players."NO."

So Young man of those players mentioned only Maddux is a 1st ballot lock. Thomas and SMoltz IMO are the only other two 'finalists' who will get in but not right away(i personally think they are both 'borderline' selections)

Glavine i dont see as an HOF. Pitchers like Jack Morris and even Bert Bevelyn go in before Glavine.

Sosa unless he proven 'innocent' of his accused involvement in the steriods does not belong in. Same with McGuire. Without the 'juice' Sosa and McGuire only have very good carrers but never close to Cooperstown.

Just my takes.

He didn't retire so, he just signed a 2 yr contract so, if he does retire, the earliest will be 2015 on the ballot.

Hudson River, I think Mussina will go in the HOF because he was with the Yankees that boasted his name.

No offense to Phils/mariners fans but Mussina is much closer to being an HOF than Moyer IMO. Mussina is very close but if he got 300 wins he would be a shoo-in.

Still Randy Johnson, Curt Schilling and Perdo Martinez were the best pitchers over last 15 years and will get in the HOF first as 1-st ballot selections.

Wait until Spring Training, John sterling complementing Cashman of getting the three prizes. He won't shut up.

I guess i made my point that Joe Morgan was a better overall 2nd baseman than Mr. Kent lol.:)

Seriously, It's not all about offense. Do you think Rafel Palemero is a hall of Famer? Or Dave Kingman who has 400-plus carrer homers but was horrible on defense?

Kent also played in steriods era(I am not saying he did the juice)and was also helped for playing in smaller ballparks and also for majority of his carrer being helped by Barry Bonds.

Kent was at best a descent defensive 2nd baseman.

However Joe Morgan was better and for many years held record for most home runs ever by 2nd baseman till Kent broke it.

Archived