MLB hotstove and off season news 2008-09

Shortline Bus

He took steroids for three years, 2001-03. Apparently he's been clean with the Yankees, however.

Remember MLB now does have a random and mandotry testing for all players including A-Rod for steriods/performence enhnacing substances and other illegal drugs too from Cocaine, etc since the 2006 season.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A Rod will hold a '1-time only' press conference tommorow at Yankees Spring Trainning camp in Tampa on his admission on using steriods.

Off topic. Does anyone care that A-Rod that he going to play for the Dominican Republic in the upcoming World Baseball Tournnemnt? This despite the fact he was born in NYC and raised in Miami, Fla.

His parents were born in the DR though. A ROD playing for the Dominican is just a stupid IMO as Mike Pizza playing for Italy in the last "WBC' 4 years ago IMO, as both were born in the United States

A Rod will hold a '1-time only' press conference tommorow at Yankees Spring Trainning camp in Tampa on his admission on using steriods.

Off topic. Does anyone care that A-Rod that he going to play for the Dominican Republic in the upcoming World Baseball Tournnemnt? This despite the fact he was born in NYC and raised in Miami, Fla.

His parents were born in the DR though. A ROD playing for the Dominican is just a stupid IMO as Mike Pizza playing for Italy in the last "WBC' 4 years ago IMO, as both were born in the United States

His grandparents were born there, I think.

Off-topic: Griffey is making his choice today, either Seattle or Atlanta

I think Nady should get the right field job over Swisher because:

1) Nady has better numbers, AVG, he hits at least 20 HR, 90 RBI, with a .290 AVG

2) Swisher has low AVG, hitting 30 HR, 80 RBI, with a .260 AVG.

Just heard on way home from work in my car radio, parts of the AROD press conference. Boy this guy did IMO a terrible job. Other than just 'coming out clean' he only added he took injections for his steriod use and he started using it around 2000 in last year in Seattle. A new controversy that will occur is that his 'cousin' who nameless at moment supplied the steriods from the Dominican Republic, Mexico and possibly elsewhere in the carribean.

So instead of taking the Andy Pettie route, AROD now will hear this never ending story for a while longer. Plus the very smart NY media will find out the name of his 'relative' who can now be in huge legal troubles.

Like i said before i am wondering if MLB should have 'died' as a sports league following the 1994-95 strike and a new one had been created.

FYI. Was his press conference shown 'live' on the all NYC tv stations and CNN, ESPN, and Fox News also?

Just heard on way home from work in my car radio, parts of the AROD press conference. Boy this guy did IMO a terrible job. Other than just 'coming out clean' he only added he took injections for his steriod use and he started using it around 2000 in last year in Seattle. A new controversy that will occur is that his 'cousin' who nameless at moment supplied the steriods from the Dominican Republic, Mexico and possibly elsewhere in the carribean.

So instead of taking the Andy Pettie route, AROD now will hear this never ending story for a while longer. Plus the very smart NY media will find out the name of his 'relative' who can now be in huge legal troubles.

Like i said before i am wondering if MLB should have 'died' as a sports league following the 1994-95 strike and a new one had been created.

FYI. Was his press conference shown 'live' on the all NYC tv stations and CNN, ESPN, and Fox News also?

Yea, all local station except 11, A-Rod at the end of his "speech" was like, "To my teammates", and he didn't say anything, just wondering, drank from his water, and said "Thank You". He dodged many questions, for no reason.And he admitted he took some kinda drug in Seattle?

Yea, all local station except 11, A-Rod at the end of his "speech" was like, "To my teammates", and he didn't say anything, just wondering, drank from his water, and said "Thank You". He dodged many questions, for no reason.And he admitted he took some kinda drug in Seattle?

Dumb question. Could AROD and his cousin be arrestred for smugling steriods into the US?

it was on ch 11 too...I can't believe this was breaking news....this couldn't wait at 5 O clock?sad.

Here some more news on the never ending AROD Steriods mess. Feel free to comment. It's from this morning's NY Daily News.

A-Rod's pal, the tainted trainer: Steroid-linked friend is banned by every MLB team

BY Mark Feinsand In Tampa, Christian Red In Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, and Michael O'Keeffe, Ian Begley, Teri Thompson, Jim Rich and Nathaniel Vinton In New York

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Friday, February 20th 2009

Embattled Yankee Alex Rodriguez has had a long relationship with a steroid-linked trainer who's been banned from major league clubhouses, four independent sources told the Daily News.

Angel Presinal, who was banned from private areas of every MLB ballpark after an October 2001 incident involving an unmarked gym bag full of steroids, has been tight with the Yankee slugger dating back to his time with the Texas Rangers, several sources said.

A former New York-area scout says Presinal, whose named surfaced in the Mitchell Report, was with Rodriguez in New York and Miami as recently as this past fall.

MLB has warned players to stay away from him.

He has been thrown out of clubhouses in Cleveland, Anaheim and Texas.

"He's an unsavory character," said a source.

Another source said Presinal accompanied A-Rod for the entire 2007 season, staying in the same hotel as the A.L. MVP, but in a separate room with the "cousin" Rodriguez pegged three days ago as his steroid source from 2001-03.

The cousin was identified Thursday as Yuri Sucart.

The source said Rodriguez avoided being seen in public with Presinal.

"He was around Alex in 2007," the source said of Presinal. "Every hotel they went to, he stayed in the same room with Yuri. You would never see Alex with [Presinal]. They would meet in one of their rooms."

The Mitchell Report, released in December 2007, described the investigation that followed the 2001 incident at Toronto's Pearson International Airport, first reported by the Daily News in 2006, where Presinal told law enforcement the bag containing drugs belonged to then-Indians star Juan Gonzalez.

Presinal was not around A-Rod and the Yankees during the 2008 season, the source said, but Sucart remained a constant presence around Rodriguez, at home and on the road.

"Yuri is his driver," the source said. "He takes care of him all the time. His clothes, his food; he's with Alex every day."

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman was aware of Presinal's name but said that the exiled trainer had no official ties to the team.

"He's never had any association with the Yankees," Cashman said. "Whether he knows our players or has worked with any of our players, I wouldn't be able to confirm that."

A-Rod agent Scott Boras would not comment on his client's relationship with Presinal, who runs a gym at the Palacio del los Deportes in Santo Domingo. Presinal also did not return multiple calls.

"Several people have warned Alex about this guy," said a second source.

MLB began monitoring Presinal's relationships with players as their 'trainer' at that time after the bag containing five ampules of anabolic steroids, the anabolic drug clenbuterol and hypodermic needles, was seized by the Canadian Border Service Agency in 2001.

Agents notified Toronto police and Cleveland personnel, and they allowed the bag to be shipped to the Westin Harbour Castle Hotel, where the club was staying, to see who claimed it.

A border agency seizure report said the man who picked up the bag was Presinal, then 48, a fitness trainer to the Dominican Republic's national basketball and boxing teams and the World Baseball Classic team.

In addition to A-Rod, Presinal has worked with some of the game's biggest stars: Juan Gonzalez, Pedro Martinez, David Ortiz, Vladimir Guerrero, Bartolo Colon, Miguel Tejada, Adrian Beltre, Moises Alou, Jose Guillen, Ervin Santana, Ruben Sierra, Francisco Cordero, Jose Mesa and Juan Guzman, among others.

At the time of the Toronto incident, an emotional Presinal denied any association with steroids.

"I work with [young players] so they can become superstars. You can see how hard these players work. It's all clean work. And I always tell these kids that if they have a medical problem, to be responsible. Don't just talk to any doctor. Make sure you be careful. Don't get mixed up with any steroids or other stuff."

The seizure report said Presinal claimed the bag and everything in it belonged to Gonzalez, then an outfielder for the Indians and later a teammate of Rodriguez's in Texas.

Agents questioned both men for four hours before deciding they didn't have enough evidence to link the bag to either of them. Gonzalez and Presinal were allowed to go free, and the bag was confiscated.

MLB did an investigation after the bag was seized and banned Presinal from any area in a ballpark not open to the public.

"The Canadians [said] they don't have enough information to proceed criminally, for reasons that still escape us," Rob Manfred, MLB's senior vice president for business and labor, told The News in 2006.

MLB still monitors Presinal's whereabouts.

Steroids are legal in the Dominican Republic, but the U.S. can withhold visas from baseball players implicated in steroid use.

tthompson@nydailynews.com

c)2008 NY Daily News

Archived