What were your memories of riding the subway

JJr142

I remembered the first day of the permanent 63rd Street Tunnel Connector changes. As we all remember, it was on a Sunday and the (V) was yet to be born.

My mum got pissed when we had to exit the (F) at 63rd/Lexington Ave and walk all the way to 59th Street to get on the (6) and take it to 103rd Street. Not pleasant.

In 2001, the first time i rode a R142 and R143.

Same day coming home from the Bronx, I wanted to ride a Redbird one last time. I told my mother, "I wish a red train would come". As soon as I said that, a Redbird (5) train pulls in. I was lucky because if that was a (2), we wouldnt have gotten on it.

Sometime in 1999, I was waiting at Kingston-Throop on the (C) with my foster mother at the time. Now, i was 5(i think) at the time when a R110B (A) Express flies by. It was so wierd to me. I asked what that was and my foster mom didnt know.

In 2001, the first time i rode a R142 and R143.

Same day coming home from the Bronx, I wanted to ride a Redbird one last time. I told my mother, "I wish a red train would come". As soon as I said that, a Redbird (5) train pulls in. I was lucky because if that was a (2), we wouldnt have gotten on it.

Sometime in 1999, I was waiting at Kingston-Throop on the (C) with my foster mother at the time. Now, i was 5(i think) at the time when a R110B (A) Express flies by. It was so wierd to me. I asked what that was and my foster mom didnt know.

I caught a R62 on the (5) in 2000. I believe it was at Pelham Pkwy.

As I approach the big 6-0 I have a few memories (besides my Lionel of 50 years ago),

Getting on the Fulton St El at Hinsdale St and transferring to the (A) at Rockaway Ave downstairs in the subway. Riding the Franklin-Brighton line from Franklin Ave to Coney Island in the summertime. Franklin Ave had 2 tracks at the time. Riding the Myrtle Ave El from Broadway to Bridge-Jay St.Riding the (J) train from B'way-Eastern Parkway to 168 St, Jamaica. Riding the( TT?) train from DeKalb through the tunnel to Chambers St and back to Brooklyn via the southside tracks on the Manhattan Bridge. The Saturday, Sunday, and Monday the Chrystie St connector was opened for service. (Q),QB, and QT service on the Brighton line. T,TT, NX,K,KK service,the Culver Shuttle. Just a few things I remember from my early days.I haven't even mentioned the IRT yet.

As I approach the big 6-0 I have a few memories (besides my Lionel of 50 years ago),

Getting on the Fulton St El at Hinsdale St and transferring to the (A) at Rockaway Ave downstairs in the subway. Riding the Franklin-Brighton line from Franklin Ave to Coney Island in the summertime. Franklin Ave had 2 tracks at the time. Riding the Myrtle Ave El from Broadway to Bridge-Jay St.Riding the (J) train from B'way-Eastern Parkway to 168 St, Jamaica. Riding the( TT?) train from DeKalb through the tunnel to Chambers St and back to Brooklyn via the southside tracks on the Manhattan Bridge. The Saturday, Sunday, and Monday the Chrystie St connector was opened for service. (Q),QB, and QT service on the Brighton line. T,TT, NX,K,KK service,the Culver Shuttle. Just a few things I remember from my early days.I haven't even mentioned the IRT yet.

You got the standards and bluebirds right?

Standards, they were the backbone of the BMT back then. Don't remember bluebirds but the Myrtle El was wood IIRC.

Ah. The Standards were very good cars!

Winter days wlaking like that sucks! But other times, I can stop and eat something and go if I can make it with a X-Fer! ;)!

Yeah, I like those days... But, I'd wish I was born around 1992 so I can have a more mature taste of the R-110's...

Oh yeah, I like those days but with a touch of hate since I don't like to see the RedBirds go...

I saw R110Bs during my second grade (summer 2000), I actually rode it on the (C)

Standards, they were the backbone of the BMT back then. Don't remember bluebirds but the Myrtle El was wood IIRC.

Wow nice...my father remembers the Arnines (and of course I've ridden them in recent years), but he remembers the days when they dominated the IND...my mother remembers the Standards and even the LoV's - they used to play around with the hand brakes in the trailer cars heh, but I think they were disconnected from the passenger compartment by then. All the kids thought it was the "steering wheel" for the train ;) As for me, Never ridden a standard, always wanted to, never rode the Triplexes neither, missed out on 'em the last time they ran, same for the BU's...

I go back as far as the R-10's, that's one of my earliest and loudest memories riding the subway...wasn't familiar with much then just knew it as the "green train" and went back and filled in all the details later.

Wow nice...my father remembers the Arnines (and of course I've ridden them in recent years), but he remembers the days when they dominated the IND...my mother remembers the Standards and even the LoV's - they used to play around with the hand brakes in the trailer cars heh, but I think they were disconnected from the passenger compartment by then. All the kids thought it was the "steering wheel" for the train ;) As for me, Never ridden a standard, always wanted to, never rode the Triplexes neither, missed out on 'em the last time they ran, same for the BU's...

I go back as far as the R-10's, that's one of my earliest and loudest memories riding the subway...wasn't familiar with much then just knew it as the "green train" and went back and filled in all the details later.

My brother and I thought we were steering too, until we got caught by one of the TWO conductors on the Canarsie train at Broadway Junction. BTW we rode triplexes on the Brighton line way back then.

Does anyone remember and when uptown (2) and uptown (5) train switch place using abandoned non-revue (S) track and (1) track? I remember one of weekend I took, they Bronx-bound (2) via Lex and Bronx-bound (5) via 7th Av line was stopping at South Ferry and Rector St in both direction.

When the (2) and (5) switches places via Bowling Green both of them do not stop @ Rector Street nor South Ferry!

When the (2) and (5) switches places via Bowling Green both of them do not stop @ Rector Street nor South Ferry!

Only either Saturday or Sunday, I remember (2) and (5) open door at (1) stations at Rector and SF. (That was way long year ago) I was surprise then that they stop on (1) station bet. Chamber St & South Ferry.

I remember "Ladies & Gentlemen! Due to necessarary track work, this (5) train is going on uptown 7th Av line to 149th St. Next stop on this train will be South Ferry, followed by Rector St, then making all (2) stops to 149th St. You must be in first five cars of this train to exit."

Same for (2). "Ladies & Gentlemen! Due to necessary track work, this (2) would not be going to Brooklyn. For Brooklyn service stay on this train to Bowling Green for Brooklyn-bound (4). This trains will be making uptown (5) stops on Lex Av from Bowling Green to 149th St. Next stop is Rector St, followed by South Ferry and making all uptown (5) stops from Bowling Green to 149th Sts."

I meant on the (2)(5) that stop at Rector St and South Ferry one time.

Archived