MTA/NYCT consder buying smaller size buses for lightly used routes?

Shortline Bus

If you go down to Atlantic City, NJ, New Jersey Transit runs mini RTS buses. Also I have seen this happened in the Chicago suburbs. Their suburban bus system is called PACE. On route 711, they use a new half size bus to haul passengers from Wheaton Train Station to Stratford Square Mall (in Illinois.)

These buses would be use on Staten Island buses such as S54, s55, s56, s57 and s60 during non rush hours. I am not sure of the routes in the other 4 boros. You guys come up with your picks.

If that passed the wiehgt restrictions on the Brooklyn Bridge; that would be exactly the kind of thing I'm saying they should get.

(Or, perhaops a private operator would have to get the license to run it as MTA probably wouldn't want to be bothered with that).

The BB is not for commercial use (no trucks, buses or any plate with commercial on it)

Yup, me too! I once saw a Fire Truck use it, and that is possibly like 6-8 tons!

Yeah I saw one too, they have special privileges because that is for emergency use.

The BB is not for commercial use (no trucks, buses or any plate with commercial on it)

It won't. The 3 ton limit is just a precaution due to its age. It's not necessary for the BB to carry commercial traffic since the Manhattan Bridge is nearby.

The (MTA) did toss around the idea of having service over it in the event of the Manhattan Bridge being closed to trains. So it's possible, and if (MTA) ran it, the plate wouldn't be "commercial", but rather "official".

If you go down to Atlantic City, NJ, New Jersey Transit runs mini RTS buses. Also I have seen this happened in the Chicago suburbs. Their suburban bus system is called PACE. On route 711, they use a new half size bus to haul passengers from Wheaton Train Station to Stratford Square Mall (in Illinois.)

These buses would be use on Staten Island buses such as S54, s55, s56, s57 and s60 during non rush hours. I am not sure of the routes in the other 4 boros. You guys come up with your picks.

It also used in Suffolk County, LI and Ducthess/Orange and Ulster Counties too on their lighter used routes.

Mini Rts(low floor) and Orion 1/2-size buses IMO would be perfect for example on these lines:

Brooklyn:

B2(non rush hours)

B23

B24

B31(non rush hours)

B37(late evenings & weekends)

B71

B77(overnights)

Queens

Q79

Q38/39

Manhattan

M8

M22(late evenings & weekends)

M27/M50(all trips-non rush hours)

M106

Bronx

Bx14

Bx20

Just some thoughts. Feel free to reply?

It also used in Suffolk County, LI and Ducthess/Orange and Ulster Counties too on their lighter used routes.

Mini Rts(low floor) and Orion 1/2-size buses IMO would be perfect for example on these lines:

Brooklyn:

B2(non rush hours)

B23

B24

B31(non rush hours)

B37(late evenings & weekends)

B71

B77(overnights)

Queens

Q79

Q38/39

Manhattan

M8

M22(late evenings & weekends)

M27/M50(all trips-non rush hours)

M106

Bronx

Bx14

Bx20

Just some thoughts. Feel free to reply?

On the M22, consistency... if you run full length buses during the day, why would you run half length buses during off hours? It's a storage issue. Sure, it could decrease the headway during off hours, but to decrease the headway, wouldn't you require more buses to do the job? How many could you fit at the depot?

The (MTA) did toss around the idea of having service over it in the event of the Manhattan Bridge being closed to trains. So it's possible, and if (MTA) ran it, the plate wouldn't be "commercial", but rather "official".

Ah.. it would be a problem because it would then invite private bus lines (coaches) to join the fray.

I have taken small SEPTA #127 bus ride from Newshimy Mall to Trenton, NJ. I thought it was going to American Ikarus according to SEPTA schedule, but it happened to be smaller one. Maybe SEPTA-fan might know the name of bus model, but do to Queens CVS forgot to put CD, I couldn't post picture.

I also has ridden Bee-Line Airlink two times.

I just remember I rode Champion Defender small bus service on #127 ride.

• 4 months later...

if the (MTA) ever considers buying small buses,they can buy a 30footer bus,they can buy the buses from ElDorado National,but first they have to demo the bus,if successful,then buy them and the small buses must be fast,it can be a 30, 32, and 35 footer bus and it can be for lightly used routes.

Archived