Radical Plan Asks For Free Buses And Lower Train Fares

MTR Admiralty

If you don't get it, don't speak... I disagree on all of them and back on topic!!!

Sounds ridiculous!!!

Yup!

Yup!

~But the Board of Ed. needs to put more school busses or it won't be good!

Overall, it does sound ludicrous to the students, but I believe that students should pay half price for every ride. It is not fair for a million kids to ride free twice or thrice every school day, while the adults have to pay the $2. Even college students pay the $2 bucks. Maybe K-5 could go free, but Grades 6-12 should pay half price.

Sounds great but, I think it needs other sources of income in order to have this plan. Not trying to be mean to the elderly, but I would suggest racking the reduced fare to 75% of the normal fare.

I hate to say it, but students should pay their share of riding the train. There are millions of students who have free metrocards. As I heard, the adults pay for the students who use the free metrocards.

2/3, 3/4 - details shmetails but yes I think the reduced fare does need to be increased. it's done as consideration for those living on a fixed income, but $1 vs. $1.40 or $1.50 isn't going to break the bank for most.

forgot to mention the student cards. all student cards should be half fare. students taking metro north or LIRR don't get free rides, why should NYCT be any different?

2/3, 3/4 - details shmetails but yes I think the reduced fare does need to be increased. it's done as consideration for those living on a fixed income, but $1 vs. $1.40 or $1.50 isn't going to break the bank for most.

forgot to mention the student cards. all student cards should be half fare. students taking metro north or LIRR don't get free rides, why should NYCT be any different?

Exactly.

San Francisco offers reduced rides for students. We are one of the few systems that offer students FREE RIDES

Yet, seniors pay a reduced fare.

I believe the Board of Ed & city of NY give funding to the MTA just for those free student passes. They should not be cut. The city doesn't have nearly enough school buses to handle the amount of kids that need to move around.

Oh, and see what parents would say if THEY have to start paying not just their fare, but part of their kids fare too. I can hear the excuses now... "Sorry, I have no money, couldn't get to school today."

Their idea is to charge drivers between $5 and $25 depending on the time of day to enter Manhattan below 60th St., in order to fund mass transit and reduce the subway fare down to between 50 cents and $1.25 during the day. Subways would be free nights and weekends and buses would be free at all times. The plan also calls for a 46 percent increase in taxi fares, which Komanoff said will be key to winning broad support in the city because Manhattan residents take a lot more cabs.

“We hope this will soften the objections of Brooklyn and Queens and will also generate more revenue,” he said.

I could never see this fly. We already have some of the highest tolls in the NATION. And saying we'll balance it all out by increasing taxi fares is laughable. In the end, people who are rich and can afford it will continue to drive into Manhattan - so the plan just slaps the average New Yorkers in the face.

There is the capacity issue that needs to be addressed. If you lower the fare, you're going to attract more people. With the way the system is currently designed, it could not handle all the people.

I honestly feel that this bus plan makes it easier for a terrorist to cripple the bus system.
Yeah, terrorists would get better access to the Busses since they can board even in the rear door!

Sorry, but I completely disagree. This is like saying "bridge crossings that are free have a better chance of getting attacked." Do you think terrorists plans are going to be foiled by a $2 fare? IIRC, they all bought plane tickets on 9/11.

Oh, and last time I looked, people were boarding through the back door, even with a fare!

Archived