R38s still kicking and other pics

Ken S.

Nice pics, and was that a (G) at Roosevelt Blvd, you don't see that often!

I guess the (G) will be R&Ted back to Court Square after the holidays. With the crowds at Queens Center Mall, it's either run the (G) to 71 or run the (V) on weekends. Which is cheaper for the (MTA)?

The R38 had an alcohol problem or something cause its older brother the R32 took care of itself better over 44 years. Its to late for the R38...it had the chance way back when.

...did I just personify trains??? that is rather foamerish of me.

LMAO!!!!!B):D:D

The R44s were the biggest, most-dramatic improvement to the NYC subway system that I can think of. When it was introduced in the early 1970s, it had a much more attractive and high-tech modern appearance to its interior than its predecessors, modern curved signs, a full cab width, was a car passengers can actually talk on and not raise their voices, rode almost as smoothly as the LIRR and resembled the M cars on the LIRR that were also modern at the time, broke the speed record for subways at I think around 75 mph. The ding-dong warning the train doors were closing was a great idea. Unfortunately, many of the new systems weren't well tested, did not prove durable, and the trains were not reliable.

Put an R44 that's in decent shape next to an R160 and the R160 does not make it look ancient. To me, the R44/R46s interior is more deluxe than the R160, if dated in some details. For me, the R143/160 looks like an updated R40M/R42 inside--rather plain and sterile, lacking color. The R38, though not a bad train, just didn't have the same impact as the R44 when it was new. Put an R38 next to the R160 and it looks quite old and blocky. So, I do not agree that the R38s look better on a major, high-volume, Manhattan and Brooklyn Express line like the A than the R44, the only halfway modern car on 8th Av (save a rare appearance on an R46 on the E line).

The R44s rebuilt doesn't seem to be as well done as the R46s. I think the rebuilts of the R32 and the R46 have helped them greatly in providing good service and kept them looking decent at least when they are reasonably clean. The R44 needs TLC, it should be in service for at least another 5-7 years.

I will have to disagree with you because I like the R44 because they best cars ever.

you and i never agree on anything. R42s and R44s are the two worst cars in the system. They killed the St. Louis Car Company and are completely messing up the A and E lines. Please, the only people who like the R42s are those on the Jamaica Line because they have been there since 1990, but soon, the J/M/Z will be fully R160s. R44s are nothing more than ugly soda cans that have too much air in their brakes while R42s are rusted tin cans with ugly interiors

Archived