Train car length signs @ stations!!

AA 8th Avenue

Why are train car length signs at all 8th avenue staions being blackened out and all trains have to stop at the S length designation??? Trains have always stopped at their designated car length; 10-car, 8-car, 6-car,, & 4-car. Cant the R-40(M) and R-42 work like the R-32/38 where the motorman cabs can also function as conductor cabs? I live on 35th street off 8th avenue and could tell when a (C) was there because I could barely see the car end now I cant. At certain stations people have to run two car lengths in order to catch a (C) train. This holds up the train cause people are not used to this change. Just put it back the way way it was 10, 8, 6, 4! I know where to take a train but 95% dont. Make it easy so folks don't hold up my trains. (NYCT)

In the all the stations on the (C) line the C/R has to be aligned with the board, but this is not possible on R42s because they don't have the controls in each cab. So now the C/R is not in the middle of the train, but in the 6th car if I'm not mistaken, which makes the train go to the S marker unlike stopping at the 8 marker, so now all trains stop at S including R38s.

Yup what Matted posted is correct...on the R40/R42 equipment only the operator's cabs (A ends) have operating controls and the conductor's cabs (the blind "B" ends) have door controls. Because the C is an 8 car train, the conductor can't be in the middle (4 cars in front 4 cars in back), so he has to work out of either the third or the fifth car...the signs are being changed so the train will line him up with the conductor's board so he'll know it's safe to open the doors, otherwise (MTA) will have to put new boards up just so these cars can run on that line for only a little while longer. Doing it this way saves $$...

• 3 weeks later...
Thank goodnes my (C) trains are back to normal! They stop where they always have. now keep 'em that way unless u r going to make it a 10-car set..

Sounds great, they will stick to 480 feet long trains until say all the SMEEs are gone. Once they are gone by like next year, perhaps they will extend the C train to 600 feet long (10 60 footers or 8 75 footers)

Some R46's and R160 maybe? Could be? I'm not going say when I think because then everybody will be like, "oh Trizz is spreading rumors!"

In my opinion the (C) is baby compared to the (A) and (E). Service patter at 34th is always (E)(E)(C)(E)(E)(C)(E)(C)(E)(E)(C) and you got at Chambers, (A)(A)(A)(C)(A)(A)(C)(A)(A)(C)(A)(A)(A)(C). The (C) is mainly empty even at rush hours compared to the much more packed (A) train. Reason for it having 8 Car isn't something they started doing recently either. On Nycsubway.org, I see R10 in the late 80's with 7 or 8 cars on the (C), R30's with 6 cars (C) and of course even 6 car R46 (C) set up like the (JFK). A-B-A-A-B-A. I have yet to seen even a R1-9 set up with 600 Feet of (C) Train. The (C) never was 600 Feet and it pisses me off. It pissed me off when I use to ride daily to school, it STILL pisses me off. The (C) at least need to be extended to 600 feet. If i saw a 600 foot (C), it would shock me more then seeing a R160 on it.

Some R46's and R160 maybe? Could be? I'm not going say when I think because then everybody will be like, "oh Trizz is spreading rumors!"

In my opinion the (C) is baby compared to the (A) and (E). Service patter at 34th is always (E)(E)(C)(E)(E)(C)(E)(C)(E)(E)(C) and you got at Chambers, (A)(A)(A)(C)(A)(A)(C)(A)(A)(C)(A)(A)(A)(C). The (C) is mainly empty even at rush hours compared to the much more packed (A) train. Reason for it having 8 Car isn't something they started doing recently either. On Nycsubway.org, I see R10 in the late 80's with 7 or 8 cars on the (C), R30's with 6 cars (C) and of course even 6 car R46 (C) set up like the (JFK). A-B-A-A-B-A. I have yet to seen even a R1-9 set up with 600 Feet of (C) Train. The (C) never was 600 Feet and it pisses me off. It pissed me off when I use to ride daily to school, it STILL pisses me off. The (C) at least need to be extended to 600 feet. If i saw a 600 foot (C), it would shock me more then seeing a R160 on it.

If Pitkin ever gets R160s, they will use either R160A-2 or R160B. ABBBA ABBBA, I don't think four car sets will be going to Pitkin for service on the C.

(C) trains stop in the middle as R32's come back, I liked the R40 , R40M and R42 cars that appeared on the (C), but the drawback, was the different position that the (C) had to take, because the C/R's controls were not on the cabs. I thought the (C) was a 10 car train at that point. At this rate, the (C) will never be 600 feet long and I do understand the frustration that comes up with it, but we can't do much about it. If people would have complained about the train lengths it a lot, they would have done that years ago.

I think that if the (C) would be 600 feet long, then that would be an R160 train set, but that's just my guess. I have to agree, that the the (C) at major stations only appears one out of every three trains, due to (A) having two south terminals (three during rush hours) So my service pattern is (A) (A)(C)(A) (A)(C) and so on. I have noticed a trend that the (E) appears more often then the (C) (pattern is (E) (E)(C)(E)(C)(E) (E) )at 8th Avenue which may explain why (:) trains appears more often than the (C) (Pattern (B) (B)(C)(B)(C)).

Again this is my observations if you have something different from what I've said, feel free to respond to this post. I'd like to read your statements.

(C) trains stop in the middle as R32's come back, I liked the R40 , R40M and R42 cars that appeared on the (C), but the drawback, was the different position that the (C) had to take, because the C/R's controls were not on the cabs. I thought the (C) was a 10 car train at that point. At this rate, the (C) will never be 600 feet long and I do understand the frustration that comes up with it, but we can't do much about it. If people would have complained about the train lengths it a lot, they would have done that years ago.

I think that if the (C) would be 600 feet long, then that would be an R160 train set, but that's just my guess. I have to agree, that the the (C) at major stations only appears one out of every three trains, due to (A) having two south terminals (three during rush hours) So my service pattern is (A) (A) (C)(A) (A) (C) and so on. I have noticed a trend that the (E) appears more often then the (C) (pattern is (E) (E) (C)(E)(C)(E) (E) )at 8th Avenue which may explain why (:D trains appears more often than the (C) (Pattern (B) (B) (C)(B)(C)).

Again this is my observations if you have something different from what I've said, feel free to respond to this post. I'd like to read your statements.

The (E) does run more frequently than the (C)...I have timetables somewhere but dont want to get them right now...but yes the (E) runs more frequently than the (C) which is why you see what you do.

Man, if people didn't complain about having to run more and weren't illiterate as to actually read the signs posted up in the stations about the different stopping positions, the (MTA) wouldn't have to waste money retransferring cars. Not to mention that at many stations during the switch the station superintendent made announcements about the (C) running fewer cars, no one listened and stayed at the end of the platform, then when their train came they started moaning about how the (MTA) never makes any announcements. People these days.

Man, if people didn't complain about having to run more and weren't illiterate as to actually read the signs posted up in the stations about the different stopping positions, the (MTA) wouldn't have to waste money retransferring cars. Not to mention that at many stations during the switch the station superintendent made announcements about the (C) running fewer cars, no one listened and stayed at the end of the platform, then when their train came they started moaning about how the (MTA) never makes any announcements. People these days.

Well IMO, the MTA should have originally send the R40M/R42s to Jamaica Yd and send the Phase 1s from Jamaica to Pitkin during December, that way the C would continue to run trains that would stop at their original positions and still continue the retirement of the R38s.

Yup, the (C) is just an (A) Local basically, not much going on it unless if it is in the City...

You sure about that? That (C) gets packed like crazy in Brooklyn too.

The (C) is packed, especially near Jay Street and Broadway Junction. Local stations along IND Fulton are used by a lot of riders every rush hour, so the (C) isn't crowded only in Manhattan.

Archived