Why no free rides on subway/bus in NYC during the holidays?

Shortline Bus

Not sure where this topic goes but here goes. know the MTA is having tough ecomonic times but just a thought. Does anyone remember as late as the 1980's when the MTA used to offer rides for overnights during the holidays?

I remember one Christmas eve as a kid my sister taking me on a subway ride from Brooklyn to the Bronx at 1am in morning.

Correct me if i am wrong but did not the TA used to offer 'free rides on both X-mas Eve and New Yeara Eve from 1201am-8am?Also anyone remember in 2005 or '06(correct me if i m wrong)the MTA offered "holiday metrocards' that provided added discounts too?

Just wondering if NYC would ever bring back either or "Free or reduce fare" rates for Christmas or New Years? The idea is to take Drunk Driving off the road. Stats prove New Years eve night has among the highest # of DUI/DWI accidents han any other time of the year.

Well if it cant be done in NYC not the right answer. Several cities still offer 'free holiday services' such as San Diego (one paying customer could take up to 2 other adults 'free')and Toronto. Speaking of Toronto here an online press statement about 'free rides' on new years eve sponored by a major Canadian entertainment company.

"Holiday Service 2008-2009

Free New Year's Eve Service; Day Pass Special; Holiday Service Schedule

Toronto’s entertainment leaders ensure free TTC service this New Year’s

New Year’s revelers returning home on January 1 will ride the TTC free between 12:01 a.m. and 4 a.m., the Toronto Transit Commission and Liberty Entertainment Group announced today.

“I am proud of the leadership and partnership the Toronto Entertainment Alliance has shown in coming together to preserve this important service," said Mayor David Miller. "Their invaluable contributions will ensure tens of thousands of Torontonians are able to enjoy a happy and safe New Year's Eve.”

“On behalf of the TTC and its riders, I would like to thank the Toronto Entertainment Alliance for providing this important service that will make New Year’s celebrations safer and more accessible for everyone,” said TTC Chair Adam Giambrone.

“After a night of celebration, it is our aim to help ensure our patrons arrive home safely,” said Nick Di Donato President & CEO, Liberty Entertainment Group. “Our customers’ well-being is always our number one priority. This initiative will make their trip home easy and safe, by providing them with complimentary TTC service. Our hope is that this initiative will continue for many future New Year’s Eve celebrations.”

All TTC subway, bus and streetcar routes will operate until 4 a.m. Wheel-Trans will operate until 3 a.m. The TTC’s Blue Night network will operate after 4 a.m. until regular subway service resumes at 6 a.m."

c)2008 Toronto Transit Commision, inc.

What you guys think? Maybe offer fares for 50 cents on Christmas Day and 'free rides' between 12 Midnight-6am on New Years. Maybe even the MTA get sponorship.

On the brink of a preposterous fare hike and extensive service cuts, I am not sure how the MTA is going to finance for this nor am I advocating for this.

IF, the MTA has the money to finance another free ride or half fare programme, I would rather allow to be spent on maintaining our existing fare structure. I do not want to hear later in June, that the hike is real.

Well, the year of the strike (2005 IIRC) there was a reduced fare program for the entire holiday season, not sure if it was only weekends though, and a special 30 day unlimited card good until January...

MTR's right though. I'd rather pay full fare now and not see a future fare hike than have a holiday discount and get slammed with the hike later.

Free rides this holiday season? I guess that means jumping the turnstile on the subway station or boarding at the back of the bus isn't illegal anymore, for that time period. I don't see that as a good idea. Like what others said, I don't want to pay as much as $3 next month.

Not sure where this topic goes but here goes. know the MTA is having tough ecomonic times but just a thought. Does anyone remember as late as the 1980's when the MTA used to offer rides for overnights during the holidays?

I remember one Christmas eve as a kid my sister taking me on a subway ride from Brooklyn to the Bronx at 1am in morning.

Correct me if i am wrong but did not the TA used to offer 'free rides on both X-mas Eve and New Yeara Eve from 1201am-8am?Also anyone remember in 2005 or '06(correct me if i m wrong)the MTA offered "holiday metrocards' that provided added discounts too?

Just wondering if NYC would ever bring back either or "Free or reduce fare" rates for Christmas or New Years? The idea is to take Drunk Driving off the road. Stats prove New Years eve night has among the highest # of DUI/DWI accidents han any other time of the year.

Well if it cant be done in NYC not the right answer. Several cities still offer 'free holiday services' such as San Diego (one paying customer could take up to 2 other adults 'free')and Toronto. Speaking of Toronto here an online press statement about 'free rides' on new years eve sponored by a major Canadian entertainment company.

"Holiday Service 2008-2009

Free New Year's Eve Service; Day Pass Special; Holiday Service Schedule

Toronto’s entertainment leaders ensure free TTC service this New Year’s

New Year’s revelers returning home on January 1 will ride the TTC free between 12:01 a.m. and 4 a.m., the Toronto Transit Commission and Liberty Entertainment Group announced today.

“I am proud of the leadership and partnership the Toronto Entertainment Alliance has shown in coming together to preserve this important service," said Mayor David Miller. "Their invaluable contributions will ensure tens of thousands of Torontonians are able to enjoy a happy and safe New Year's Eve.”

“On behalf of the TTC and its riders, I would like to thank the Toronto Entertainment Alliance for providing this important service that will make New Year’s celebrations safer and more accessible for everyone,” said TTC Chair Adam Giambrone.

“After a night of celebration, it is our aim to help ensure our patrons arrive home safely,” said Nick Di Donato President & CEO, Liberty Entertainment Group. “Our customers’ well-being is always our number one priority. This initiative will make their trip home easy and safe, by providing them with complimentary TTC service. Our hope is that this initiative will continue for many future New Year’s Eve celebrations.”

All TTC subway, bus and streetcar routes will operate until 4 a.m. Wheel-Trans will operate until 3 a.m. The TTC’s Blue Night network will operate after 4 a.m. until regular subway service resumes at 6 a.m."

c)2008 Toronto Transit Commision, inc.

What you guys think? Maybe offer fares for 50 cents on Christmas Day and 'free rides' between 12 Midnight-6am on New Years. Maybe even the MTA get sponorship.

lol i wish that happened...

Great points guys. However in Toronto a major company up there is paying for 6 hours of 'free rides' on their subway and buses on New Years Eve night? Why cant a company here in NY area do the same thing is my point.

Because the companies that are struggling can't afford the hit, and because the companies that are not struggling are relatively healthy and do not need any more marketing particularly at that cost.

"Free subway for a day" during the holidays can cost a company more than $9 million if they are basically "paying everyone's fares", and they're not going to get that back. The whole point of running the ads is "if I spend $500 on ads, I will bring in $2500 in sales, it's worth it" - but it's not worth doing the ploy if the benefits of doing it are less than the costs of doing it.

Likewise a lot of the companies in NY are financial services firms and corporations so there's no incentive to do it. People aren't going to change banks just because "my bank pays for free subway for a day and you'rs doesn't" so there's not a lot of reasons for businesses to do this.

Archived