Plans To Separate Staten Island From The Other Four Boroughs---How Would This Effec..

Sea Beach

Yep. Well they should make Staten Island part of NJ since the other 4 boroughs have no care for staten island so they might as well have Staten Island be its own city and be part of state New Jersey. Even if this was not a great idea they might as well do it since most people that live in any 4 boroughs have no care for Staten Island. The (MTA) can sell the Staten Island Railway to NJ Transit or PATH (Port Authority Trans-Hudson) since there will never be a subway connection with SIRT or extended to S.I,which is a great idea,which will never happen,so they might as well sell it to NJ Transit or PATH (Port Authority Trans-Hudson) and as for the (MTA) New York City Bus in S.I they might as well sell it to NJ Transit.

OK, once again, do not make the assumption that the people from the other 4 boroughs have no care for SI.

Let us take on the Alaska-Lower 48 argument. Prior to Sarah Palin's 15 minutes of 'fame', how many of us know that Anchorage is the state capital of Alaska? How many of us, really, care about Alaska? "Oh, it's too far from the Continental US!" "Is it actually part of the US?" As we all know, from a map, that Alaska is in between Russia and Canada. According to a similar argument on this thread and the pathway of certain replies, could Alaska call for secession simply because it is too far from Continental US and has no respect?

Consider the US possessions in the Pacific. How many of us here know that Guam is part of the US?

---------------------------------------------------

Even though 65% want OUT, they will still be New York workers. Look at where they work. They work around the Lower Manhattan CBD and the Midtown CBD and elsewhere. A number of them chose SI in the first place because they want a more suburban lifestyle, that is their choice. If they work in the nation's greatest urban core and live in the island and complain simply because they are not getting enough transit resources, then, no offence but, WHY THE HELL DID THEY MOVE THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE? Cheaper housing? Quieter setting???

Even if they become another city, it will have negative side effects. While it will become NYS's second largest city, what about the GDP? How will there be GDP? Even if they secede from the city, a big portion of the residents will still be workers in the City. They will still cross by ferry to work for the City. They cannot create jobs in their island overnight, they cannot relocate their jobs to New Jersey or their own island. They will still have to deal with the transit issues to Manhattan.

It is really baby talk. Unless they really prove they are self-sufficient enough that they really do not need NYC's care, they must stay in and there is no question about it.

Whoever thinks that staten island would be taken over by NJ is lacking in sound reasoning capabilities.

It's not a sports franchise. It's a county located entirely on an island in new york, and one of the 5 sections of nyc.

I hope you realize how utterly preposterous it is for an entire county which is part of a major city in one state would somehow become part of another state.

It's like saying that i all the sudden own part of my neighbor's property just because its farther from their house than my house, even though their driveway sits on it.

This thread is going way off topic & not focusing at all on the actual story, motivation behind it etc. All i see is "it will become part of NJ", which in no way reflects reality.

Back on topic, no more talk of NJ takeovers. :)

- A

Anchorage is not the capital of Alaska. Juneau is.

Lol, I meant largest city then..

You see? Most of us don't know Alaska much...

Exactly what RokuSix said:

If you don't know what you are going to face, why did you move there? Saying that the MTA is hating on the Islanders is just mindless. I'm not saying it is bad to move there, but, I feel the Island is for those who know what to expect and have NO problems whatsoever about living there.

Saying that the other 4 boroughs don't care about you guys is just completely ignorant. To be honest, yes, most of us in the 4 boroughs do not know what is going on in Staten Island. But it does not allow for you guys to go: "YOU GUYS ARE HATING ON US...YOU GUYS DON'T CARE ABOUT US...OKAY, SINCE YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT US AND NOT TREATING US AS A BOROUGH, WE'RE LEAVING..."

Even if you become a city, what would you get out of it?

Are you ready to handle your own affairs?

If you want out, so be it, but don't say later than you can't manage it or that you don't have the resources for it. :mad:

In the defense of Staten Islanders, they perceive the other boroughs as being full of crime and congested. They want the benefits of a suburban life while still being close to the city.

Okay, in the defence of a Manhattanite:

-The city is NOT full of crime and that crime rates are lower (compared to the 70s); while rates are increasing, it does not mean that there are rampant gun battles in the street or rape everywhere.

-Crime is an issue everywhere, it is inescapable with society. Wherever there is human activity, there is crime. Don't people steal from each other? Don't they kill each other? I am sure there are incidents of shootings and robberies and felonies and rape in Staten Island.

-Congestion; if they want to be part of New York City, DEAL WITH IT. NYC is a globalised city, congestion is INEVITABLE. You have tourists and locals jockeying everywhere. Out of towners and commuters competing. Not just on the sidewalks and subways but on the road as well. Complaining about this is nonsensical.

-If they want suburban benefits and they want to cede away, then you could tell East Queens to go back to Long Island. If they can deal with their poor transport options and maintain a suburban life, so can you. I know the transportation sucks in Staten Island, but who told you to live there?

• 1 month later...

I heard about this

When Staten Island gets separate from the other 4 boroughs officially.

This is what's going to happen

1. Staten Island maybe part of NJ or it's own city in the NY state

2. the NYC BUS will be sold to NJ Transit Buses.

3. The Staten Island Ferry will no longer be free and it will be $3.50.

4. the Staten Island Railway line will be permanently shut down so there will not be no more rail service in staten island and freight trains will start to run on the SIR line once the SIR passenger service is terminated.

5. The MTA will no longer control the bus lines nor train lines in Staten Island.

6. Also extending the Hudson Bergen Light Rail to Staten Island plan was canceled.

8. freight trains will be running only on any train line in Staten Island only so no more pessanger service in S.I

9. The NYPD and FDNY will no longer be S.I and it will be come SIPD and FDSI.

10. So all the things that are part of NYC will be removed and all things will be converted to Staten island stuff or Jersey stuff.

If this happens then oh well then looks like you can also kiss goodbye your fantasies of the SBS on the s79, having the NYCT'S Orion 7 in Staten Island,all of which are currently useless at this time.

I heard about this

When Staten Island gets separate from the other 4 boroughs officially.

This is what's going to happen

1. Staten Island maybe part of NJ or it's own city in the NY state

2. the NYC BUS will be sold to NJ Transit Buses.

3. The Staten Island Ferry will no longer be free and it will be $3.50.

4. the Staten Island Railway line will be permanently shut down so there will not be no more rail service in staten island and freight trains will start to run on the SIR line once the SIR passenger service is terminated.

5. The MTA will no longer control the bus lines nor train lines in Staten Island.

6. Also extending the Hudson Bergen Light Rail to Staten Island plan was canceled.

8. freight trains will be running only on any train line in Staten Island only so no more pessanger service in S.I

9. The NYPD and FDNY will no longer be S.I and it will be come SIPD and FDSI.

10. So all the things that are part of NYC will be removed and all things will be converted to Staten island stuff or Jersey stuff.

If this happens then oh well then looks like you can also kiss goodbye your fantasies of the SBS on the s79, having the NYCT'S Orion 7 in Staten Island,all of which are currently useless at this time.

So...... WHAT IS THE POINT OF SECESSION?

I wouldn't want to see this happen... I would rather...

1. Staten Island be part of NJ.

2. NYC Bus sold to NJT Bus.

3. Staten Island Ferry not be $3.50, but just $1.50.

4. The Staten Island Railway have Path train cars.

5. NJT Control Bus and Rail operations.

6. Path extend to Staten Island.

7. Frieght Service on it's own line.

8. Let NYPD and FDNY become SIPD and FDSI.

9. All roads will be desingnated New Jersey.

10. All Mass Transit in S.I. have SBS...

Why do you want SI to become part of NJ?

Archived