Why can't they close the doors while waiting?

sinbadexpress

It's freezing outside and the wind is blowing severely. However, our train conductor seems unwilling to close the door while waiting for the signal, could be 1min, or 2min, or even longer.

This happens very often on the <7> I take everyday and they just don't care what how riders inside the car feel. Wouldn't it be better if they just close it when waiting for the red signal and re-open it for another five seconds when it's good to go? Or is there any service regulations that the door must be open to let people in as long as the train's still in the station? I'm just curious.

It's freezing outside and the wind is blowing severely. However, our train conductor seems unwilling to close the door while waiting for the signal, could be 1min, or 2min, or even longer.

This happens very often on the <7> I take everyday and they just don't care what how riders inside the car feel. Wouldn't it be better if they just close it when waiting for the red signal and re-open it for another five seconds when it's good to go? Or is there any service regulations that the door must be open to let people in as long as the train's still in the station? I'm just curious.

They want to pack as many people as they can especially in this reccession, what's the point of closing the doors and then wait there for a minute or two.

They want to pack as many people as they can especially in this reccession, what's the point of closing the doors and then wait there for a minute or two.

OK, but how about @ stations like shea stadium? you won't have ten people boarding even if you wait for half an hour..

I just think they should consider a little bit more for the passenger's comfort while waiting for their signals, especially in this cold weather and the heating inside the cars are usually meaningless.

OK, but how about @ stations like shea stadium? you won't have ten people boarding even if you wait for half an hour..

I just think they should consider a little bit more for the passenger's comfort while waiting for their signals, especially in this cold weather and the heating inside the cars are usually meaningless.

You got a point there......

NOTE: They need to change Shea Stadium to Citi Field.

It's more work for them. They have to close the doors, then reopen them, then close them again.

Besides, that leaves the passengers in the station out in the cold. If you want to be warm sit by the windows where no wind can reach you, especially on the right side (facing the front of the train) since they don't open the left side up at all.

Well, the one door per car is the better way. Close the whole car door, or leave the whole car door open isn't that great...

I don't know if the R62As can do that from inside the cab. I've seen trains on the (M) when it was still running R42s do it though, so I wouldn't be surprised.

Only the R143's and the R160's have the feature that they C/R can close down the train while keeping the crew doors open in each car.

For the people that said that they have seen it on other equipment that's just not possible wihtout opening the crew doors manually one by one in each car.

I'll give you a scenario: A passenger gets onto the platform and the train is sitting in the station with it's doors closed. The passenger has to wait in the cold 2 minutes for the C/R to reopen the doors when the train is ready to leave the station. This passenger gets angry that the C/R didn't open JUST for him and calls the TA to complain. Now with no questions asked this C/R is out of service pending an investigation and faces possibly losing his job and ability to support his family. Remember we work for a company that HATES it's own employees the same way that the average person hates terrorists!!!

The (N) at coney island sometimes gets half the door (one out of the 2 door sections & only one door total) open for this very reason. It can get very windy out near the ocean.

I have only noticed this on the (N), but it may be random there & i just miss it on the other trains there ((F),(V), etc).

- A

Only the R143's and the R160's have the feature that they C/R can close down the train while keeping the crew doors open in each car.

For the people that said that they have seen it on other equipment that's just not possible wihtout opening the crew doors manually one by one in each car.

I'll give you a scenario: A passenger gets onto the platform and the train is sitting in the station with it's doors closed. The passenger has to wait in the cold 2 minutes for the C/R to reopen the doors when the train is ready to leave the station. This passenger gets angry that the C/R didn't open JUST for him and calls the TA to complain. Now with no questions asked this C/R is out of service pending an investigation and faces possibly losing his job and ability to support his family. Remember we work for a company that HATES it's own employees the same way that the average person hates terrorists!!!

R142/142A also have this feature. It's called partial close.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D052; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

R142/142A also have this feature. It's called partial close.

I was refering to the B division only. I know what it is called.

That's horrible. I just wondered if (MTA) really have such requirements for the train crew. Looks like real now:eek:

I know (MTA) is notorious for low efficiency and terrible service but had no idea that it's so cruel towards its own employees. Imagine the C/R gets complained too from passengers inside the car while insisting to keep the door open....

Perhaps adding more NTT cars is the only way to solve this little problem. Anyway thank everybody who gave ideas on this topic:)~

That's horrible. I just wondered if (MTA) really have such requirements for the train crew. Looks like real now:eek:

I know (MTA) is notorious for low efficiency and terrible service but had no idea that it's so cruel towards its own employees. Imagine the C/R gets complained too from passengers inside the car while insisting to keep the door open....

Perhaps adding more NTT cars is the only way to solve this little problem. Anyway thank everybody who gave ideas on this topic:)~

It really isn't half bad, depending on the line you're on. The (7)'s actually pretty good. It's just that it can be extremely packed at times.

BTW what time do you get on the <7>?

How about R142?

The (N) at coney island sometimes gets half the door (one out of the 2 door sections & only one door total) open for this very reason. It can get very windy out near the ocean.

I have only noticed this on the (N), but it may be random there & i just miss it on the other trains there ((F),(V), etc).

- A

And also don't forget the Rockaways and Broad Channel (A) and Rockaway Park (S).

Waiting there for (A), (S), Q53/Q21, QM15 at Howard Beach is WAY TOO COLD!

This was before Q21 was extended to Queens Center.

Archived