More R62 LED lights

NYtransit

Yeah, there's a mysterious <5> sign on one of the (7) trains I see daily. Not sure about this LED thing because I ride the (7) every weekend and I haven't seen 1 (7) with it....

No, they're there. I ride the <7> every day, and for the past week more and more have been appearing on trains. IIRC there was only one trainset last week that had one!

I've seen a bunch of sets with them. I was at Grand Central and two sets with the LEDs were in the station, plus another Flushing-bound one at Times Square. The woman at Grand Central who usually yells whether the train is a Local or an Express will be able to take a break when people remember that green = local and so on.

IMG_0044.jpg

At Grand Central. You can see the green glow of the other set reflected in the train.

IMG_0051.jpg

IMG_0053.jpg

Express at Times Square.

They cast a really distinctive light in the train; everything takes on a slight red or green hue depending on the LED. I have to say that it does brighten things up a bit. :cool:

by today it's like at least 40% of all the trains are equipped with the LEDs. It's good that the C/R won't have to murmur "localtrainlocaltrainlocaltrain" so many times.

No, they will. Even with the LEDs there are going to be people not paying attention to them and asking "Is this an express?" or "Is this a local?"

No, they will. Even with the LEDs there are going to be people not paying attention to them and asking "Is this an express?" or "Is this a local?"

Yeah, they'll still have to repeat "localtrain-localtrain-localtrain" 20 times and tell that old guy he better keep his paper sign to hang out the window with "(7) LocaL". ;)

It's true. Sometimes I do feel sorry for C/Rs working on older trains as I don't want to see them lose their voices after shouting so many times.

BTW Why can't (MTA) use the automatic announcement on the non-NTT trains? Technically it's should not be that expensive to install extra equipments like these.

I agree. Sometimes I do feel sorry for C/Rs working on older trains as I don't want to see them lose their voices after shouting so many times.

BTW Why can't (MTA) use the automatic announcement on the non-NTT trains? Technically it's should not be that expensive to install extra equipments like these.

Where can you get the equipment to install automated annoucements on older trains? B/c its impossible. The LED side rollsigns is good enough, if ppl can't understand the difference b/w a <7> and a (7) is foolish

Exactly.

So the (MTA) should keep the R62/R62A instead of having R142/R142A/R188 going to the (7)/<7>.

Obviously.

Yeah, they'll still have to repeat "localtrain-localtrain-localtrain" 20 times and tell that old guy he better keep his paper sign to hang out the window with "(7) LocaL". ;)

Yeah... because some people don't get the LED system. Not everyone knows what a circle means or what the diamond means.

It's true. Sometimes I do feel sorry for C/Rs working on older trains as I don't want to see them lose their voices after shouting so many times.

Well it kind of is expensive because you have to hire people who are willing to do it, then make sure it works and all that jazz. Having pre-recorded announcements is a good idea.

Hehehe. Well, he better hang on to that one too, because no matter how many of those LED circles and squares they get, or even dare I say "R-188s" there will still be confusion on the Flushing Line. :confused:

Yeah I know... especially with GOs... I wonder how they would manage them then

It's not very easy to distinguish those signs, especially at a quick glimpse, because the two different lights are visible at the same time and aren't that much different in lighting. In addition, it's hard for color blind people, like myself, to really distinguish the colors. (I only knew the colors because of the post before ;))

I had only thought there was one testing, and that it wasn't approved yet. I woould see it both testing along the Culver line, and then stored in Ave X yard. But then I started seeing one running on the (7) at QBP while theother one was still in the yard, so I knew now that there was at least more than one.

Everytime I see those bright reds and greens in that sign slot, it makes me think of 7th Av. vs Lex, and how if they did this, they should have instead used that as digital route signs for the IRT mainlines. Though I know it is only two settings, ingeniusly putting to use the old Energy Conservation switch, and that they would have no way to display more than two numbers with that setup. (They could have put this on the 62 sets that go back and forth between the (3) and (4), though).

For the (7), they could have just gotten pink and purple LED's!

Also, if that one pixel thick circle/diamond is so visible in the side signs, then the three pixel thick circle/dimaonds on the 142 end signs would be even more visible, and there is no reason they had to stick with red only.

I had only thought there was one testing, and that it wasn't approved yet. I woould see it both testing along the Culver line, and then stored in Ave X yard. But then I started seeing one running on the (7) at QBP while theother one was still in the yard, so I knew now that there was at least more than one.

Everytime I see those bright reds and greens in that sign slot, it makes me think of 7th Av. vs Lex, and how if they did this, they should have instead used that as digital route signs for the IRT mainlines. Though I know it is only two settings, ingeniusly putting to use the old Energy Conservation switch, and that they would have no way to display more than two numbers with that setup. (They could have put this on the 62 sets that go back and forth between the (3) and (4), though).

For the (7), they could have just gotten pink and purple LED's!

Also, if that one pixel thick circle/diamond is so visible in the side signs, then the three pixel thick circle/dimaonds on the 142 end signs would be even more visible, and there is no reason they had to stick with red only.

They originally told us that the 142/142A class would display red for 7th Ave or green for Lexington service. I don't know what happened to that idea though.

Archived