Say GoodBy to the R40S/M R42's on the C

North-Eastern T/O

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it's really enough of a problem that they would switch them back (And I could imagine it would be, especially at a place like Franklin, northbound), then maybe they should have just made the (C) 10 cars now, at least for the time being. It's going to have to become so anyway, unless they either:

1) order more four car units of 160's specifically for it.

2) move the 46's over, and use the 2 car units to make 6 car trains like they used to do on the (G).

But then, that would pose the same problem, and in fact, the conductor's position would have to stay the same in both directions, so the boards would need to be moved again anyway.

If it's really enough of a problem that they would switch them back (And I could imagine it would be, especially at a place like Franklin, northbound), then maybe they should have just made the (C) 10 cars now, at least for the time being. It's going to have to become so anyway, unless they either:

1) order more four car units of 160's specifically for it.

2) move the 46's over, and use the 2 car units to make 6 car trains like they used to do on the (G).

But then, that would pose the same problem, and in fact, the conductor's position would have to stay the same in both directions, so the boards would beed to be moved again anyway.

Yeah but, it doesn't address the Phase 1's situation. They have to be sent back to 207 because that is how they enter the deathyard.

not all transit workers are truthful, why else are we getting scolded for taking pictures and video taping trains. anyway, this "supposed" car assignment change will not work for several reasons.

1. E riders have said dozens of times already that they hate the R42s.

2. C riders prefer R40M/42s over R38s.

3. No matter what, the C will have to use R40M/42s sooner or later because the R38s and R40 slants are set to retire in the next 2-5 months.

4. It is a big waste of money and time, especially since the MTA is claiming to have a $1.2 billion deficit to deal with it.

5. There are two easier solutions to this problem. 1) swap the A and C cars back to where they were before December 8, or 2) have the C use 10 cars like its riders have demanded for years now.

btw, if this change does go into effect, not all R32s will be moved to Pitkin, only enough to replace the R40M/42s, which is about 140-150 cars. R40 slants are staying where they are since they are set to retire in April-May 2009 right after the R38s. Since E riders hate the R42s, they might actually have the R40M/42s run on the F and R instead of the E since F and R riders do not seem to care. E riders want the R46s on their line badly. So it looks like this: F/R will be R40M/42s and R46s, E R32s and R46s, C R32s and R38s, and A R40s and R44s.

Also, the MTA is willing to change the C train cars because of riders complaining about having to run for the train, but what about the G? It is even worse than the C and they are not doing anything about that line.

1. E riders have said dozens of times already that they hate the R42s.

2. C riders prefer R40M/42s over R38s.

E riders want the R46s on their line badly. So it looks like this: F/R will be R40M/42s and R46s, E R32s and R46s, C R32s and R38s, and A R40s and R44s.

Except for a few railfans, E riders definitely prefer R42s to R32s. I've not heard a lot of complaints about them other than their cosmetic appearance.

Most reports are that all R32s are being moved from Jamaica and that Jamaica will run R42s, R46 and at some point R160s. Maybe R40M's will come in as to most riders, there's no significant difference btwn an R40M and a R42. The R46 probably won't appear on the E in significant numbers due to the station dwell time concerns, the whole stated reason why the E ran R32s for all of these years while the rest of the Jamaica-line service ran primarily R46s (and E riders loved the R46 when it ran exclusively on the line from the late 70s to around 1990).

the RTO posters here are generally reliable...I've even met NETO once and he is a good guy. If they post something that is their best knowledge which means they heard it from someone inside and its reliable. Things can always change though so what may be true today may not always be true tomorrow, but then that isn't their fault is it if they post it today, right?

They're just giving you info, they don't HAVE to do that, it's not part of their job, and frankly that's a lot more reliable than some of the "railfan rumors" out there. Things are always changing, there is no one answer, but things change as needed because circumstances change, transit's needs change, and Ops planning etc. reacts to that first and foremost. It's no different than if you plan to hang out with a friend on a certain day than later that week another friend has a death in the family and asks you to be with them, well your first plan got changed. But that doesn't make everyone that you knew who said you were gonna hang out with that first friend is "wrong" it just means things changed.

If you want to "take things with a grain of salt" that's cool, I do it too but no need to call them out for giving you info. My thing has always been "I'll believe it when I see it" and as far as these posts go, if an RTO poster says something like that, well then that gives me something to look for that day if I decide to go ride the system, not to see whether they are "right or wrong" it just gives a purpose to the trip. That's how i see it at least...

E riders have said they do not want anymore R42s on it. they are used to the R32s because they have dominated that line since 1987. in fact, the Queens Blvd Line is the only line that has not changed its cars in the past 20 years. i personally do not think R42s look good on the E anyway.

Most E riders never liked the R32, especially those that have been riding the E train since the 60s and 70s and have seen much more modern equipment for the time running on the line. In 1987 the E was exclusively R46. It was R46 from around 1980 to 1990, from time to time it ran an occasional R32 or older when the R46s were being serviced. It was around 1990 when both the E and F ran 32s while the 46s were being rebuilt that the MTA decided that the E was spending less time in the stations using 32s, so that's why they run on the E and the E doesn't get 75 footers anymore. E riders dislike the R32, they rode it because that's what is on the line and in subway ratings the E gets low grades with frequent mention of "old, outdated equipment". Definitely given a choice, the R46 is preferred by a wide margin. And they really dislike the R32 after the summer of broken air-conditioners. The R32s are liked by a few vocal rail fans around the net, not by the majority of its ridership. While it may have been running on the E since 1990, it really didn't service the line much before then. Very few will be unhappy when the R32s are gone from the line.

The (C) will go back to R32/38 Which I believe is the right decision because now the line can go back to running normal. The only thing is the (MTA) has wasted more money by Overtime tranfering equipment and removing new S markers replaced back to 8 and 10 car markers. Do to the cold weather plan the transfer may have to take effect this week but could cause confusion with T/O's since they put back some of the old markers and with the R40/42 the T/O still has to stop at the end of the platform for the C/R to be on the board.

if the R32's and R42's switch yards, instead of me seeing the occasional R32 on the (F), I'd see the occasional R42 on the (F)? Would there also be full 10 car sets of R32's on the (A)? I'd love to see that...

Might be in the future, when the rest of the 32s need to get to 207 for retirement, as of now Im not so sure if the 32s will run on the (A). That 32 i saw was for the (C) i guess? but the 32s will go on the (C) and the R40s from the (C) will transfer to the (A)

Please, feel free to STFU. Dave is a great T/O and he has helped me out a lot in working towards my goal of working for the MTA. He is a great guy that spends his time here helping us out which he isn't obligated to do so.

Ditto. I've never met Dave but from all acounts he sounds like a great guy, and he's given valuable info on the career forum. The fact that any so called rail fans is "calling him out" for posting things he volunteers on his own from his first hand experience and conversations with people who have first hand experience when these rail fans in fact do not have first hand experience is downright ridiculous.

Do you all do the same thing to your auto mechanic when he tells you something is wrong with your car??

So R-40 is possible getting retired, so I seem to see the retirement process this way now:

1st: R-38.

2nd: R-40/40A/40S.

3rd: R-32.

4th: R-40M/42.

ok lets not bring bk the old fight Awwang, anyways

It seems as if all the old cars are going on the (A), i can see why the (A) is so special.. Seems like soon the 32s will run bk with the (A)s for retirment.. the 40s will go to the (A) in order to get to 207 scrap shop

Yup, agreed and I don't like word fights even any fights, lets get back on topic...

Well, the (A) isn't special but it is special since it can access the yard of pleasure and doom. The 207th Street yard always gets the Newest and Oldest cars no matter what, since it is located by the hudson and the barge of doom can take the about to be doomed cars away.

(A) train is also popular cuz the NTT cars are found there first lots of times, for testing on broad channel

Archived