Say GoodBy to the R40S/M R42's on the C

North-Eastern T/O

I really don't know how much more money they spend on that. I do remember back when they use to run shorter trains at night and Wkends. I remember it will in the IRT back when they had Redbirds and Single R62A's (1)(2)(4) 8 cars (5) 6 cars Wkend 8 car Wknight (6) 5 cars late Night Wkends Redbirds 8 Cars R62A 7 Cars. That was back in the early 1990's.

Heh...I remember that...wasn't even that long ago. That's when they had signs all over the place telling you to stand by the "during off hours trains stop here" signs on nights and weekends. Short trains weren't unusual to see at all. Funny how quickly things change when you step back and take a look at it.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What? The (C) should get some 75-foot cars, since 8 75-foot cars are at least feasible, and the ENY yard has R-46? They don't allow 75-footers there!

And the 207 had enough room for 10 cars, that yard is like half the size of Coney, but still huge! Unless if you are talking about the yard that the (C) goes to, well that may be small...

And thaks for the confirmation on the R-38 and R-32, that is why I say the R-32 is going last since it is much more clean and reliable than those other R-38, R-40's and R-42...

He said BARN not YARD. READ slowly next time.

What? The (C) should get some 75-foot cars, since 8 75-foot cars are at least feasible, and the ENY yard has R-46? They don't allow 75-footers there!

And the 207 had enough room for 10 cars, that yard is like half the size of Coney, but still huge! Unless if you are talking about the yard that the (C) goes to, well that may be small...

And thaks for the confirmation on the R-38 and R-32, that is why I say the R-32 is going last since it is much more clean and reliable than those other R-38, R-40's and R-42...

yes, R32s are superior to all the St Louis Cars. when all is said is done, they will outlive the R38s, R40s, and the Coney Island R42s. the C will get 75 footers next year. It and the A will be using R46s from Jamaica once the E and F become fully R160s. at that time, the R40Ms and R42s will retire.

The A/C will never get 10 cars because we cant fit a 10 car set in the barn. This is also the reason why we wont get the new tech cars... they are in 5 car sets... Supposedly they are supposed to extend the barn next summer in prep for the R160

Also... just to confirm everything. (since i do work there)

All R38s are being scrapped... as for the timeframe.. I was told by march there shall be no more.

All R32s from Jamaica are being transfered to A/C and will stay until the end of 2010 when the entire R160 fleet has been purchased by the MTA

They made this decision mainly because the R40s/42s/and 46s that came from East New York are in extremely bad shape and the shop at 207 has absolutely no parts on hand.

True...thanks for the information!

The A/C will never get 10 cars because we cant fit a 10 car set in the barn. This is also the reason why we wont get the new tech cars... they are in 5 car sets... Supposedly they are supposed to extend the barn next summer in prep for the R160

All R38s are being scrapped... as for the timeframe.. I was told by march there shall be no more.

All R32s from Jamaica are being transfered to A/C and will stay until the end of 2010 when the entire R160 fleet has been purchased by the MTA

They made this decision mainly because the R40s/42s/and 46s that came from East New York are in extremely bad shape and the shop at 207 has absolutely no parts on hand.

The (A) Does have 10 Cars on the 38s and 40s and 44s has 8 but are based from 10.. I think u only mean the (C). And if you guys dont have room, what about the 174th street yd?

The (A) Does have 10 Cars on the 38s and 40s and 44s has 8 but are based from 10.. I think u only mean the (C). And if you guys dont have room, what about the 174th street yd?

its not a matter of laying them up in the yard... we can fit up to 16 in the yard on one track. Only 4 married pairs can fit on one track in the barn. When they are being worked on they need to be cut a minimum of 4 ft apart as well. When we put on the snow shoes on a 10 car set.... both ends hang out each side of the barn at least half a car length and also catching the third rail on both ends... very dangerous.

Now.. the 160s that are supposed to go to 207 A/C line in the future are 5 car sets... so.. for example, if one car on a 5 car set has a problem... they would waste an entire track for one car as opposed to getting at least 4 problem cars on one track with married pairs. Understand? Which in turn means less cars in service and longer layups. They would need to extend the barn to fit 2 at least 2 5 car sets cut apart.

I knew this was going to happen, I already knew that 207th did not have all the parts for The R40/R42's and also the R44's. I am sorry that I got on you about the dec.1st post.

i hope you are right because the R40 slants and R42s are in extremely bad shape and need to go as soon as possible. the R32s are still better than them in every way.

No thats not why the (C) not running there is no point running the (C) Line if you can't run service between Jay St and Utica Ave. Thats also the reason why the car switch won't happen this weekend since Moves can't be made between Pitkin YD and Jamaica Yd.

Also (A) trains will relay on the (F)(G) Line at Bergan St.

No thats not why the (C) not running there is no point running the (C) Line if you can't run service between Jay St and Utica Ave. Thats also the reason why the car switch won't happen this weekend since Moves can't be made between Pitkin YD and Jamaica Yd.

Also (A) trains will relay on the (F)(G) Line at Bergan St.

Ah, thanks for the info... are they going upper level?

Yes , so that may delay service on the (F)(G) trains in the area. I really think they should relay at Smith 9th but its not the plan right now. They may do it if service gets too backed up.

Yeah, that's what I thought earlier...

What's the reason for the G.O? The service advisories online no longer give their "explanations" for the G.O

Yeah, that's what I thought earlier...

What's the reason for the G.O? The service advisories online no longer give their "explanations" for the G.O

Not sure didn't read that far into it since its not my section any more. However looking at the (MTA) website its offical do to this G.O there are delays right now on the 207 St bound (A) and Jamaica 179 (F) service.

I have been told that they were going to switch to r32/r38 sometime after the holidays. Guess they are just going to wait until this weekend and maybe next weekend? G/O is over and then do the switch.

btw I love it when people post that the riders love a certain type of train on their line. There is no way that asking a few people you can get a good idea what they think. Most riders couldn't care what type of train they get on.

I have been told that they were going to switch to r32/r38 sometime after the holidays. Guess they are just going to wait until this weekend and maybe next weekend? G/O is over and then do the switch.

btw I love it when people post that the riders love a certain type of train on their line. There is no way that asking a few people you can get a good idea what they think. Most riders couldn't care what type of train they get on.

Maybe the weekend of 3 Jan-4 Jan at the earliest...

Actually riders do care about what kind of train they are riding.

Actually riders do care about what kind of train they are riding.

Well... sort of but not really. All a rider wants from a train is cleanliness, comfort (proper temperature, not too much noise, smooth ride etc.), and announcements he/she can hear. Basically, they wouldn't care if they got a R46, R68/A, R142/a, R62/a, r143, or R160A/B because they meet all of those demands. But when a rider sees and car class from R32-R42 (which he/she probably can't distinct) they think somewhere along the lines "ugh, i hate these old screechy, dirty and rusty trains". They would rather have classes R62-R160. so in this case R32=R38=r40=r40m=r42. I know this because I go to highschool and I asked one of my friends (who has no interest in trains) and I asked her what she thinks of the cars running on the (C) (which at the time were R38's), and she said she didn't like them because they were dirty, dark, rusty and screechy. Then I asked her what she thinks of the cars that run on the (:)(which at the time were [and still are] R68/A), and she didn't hate them nor have much opinions but thought they were satisfactory. I asked a lot of people and they has similar answers were similar. As long as a car meets the non-enthusiast's wants, they are fine with them.

Well... sort of but not really. All a rider wants from a train is cleanliness, comfort (proper temperature, not too much noise, smooth ride etc.), and announcements he/she can hear. Basically, they wouldn't care if they got a R46, R68/A, R142/a, R62/a, r143, or R160A/B because they meet all of those demands. But when a rider sees and car class from R32-R42 (which he/she probably can't distinct) they think somewhere along the lines "ugh, i hate these old screechy, dirty and rusty trains". They would rather have classes R62-R160. so in this case R32=R38=r40=r40m=r42. I know this because I go to highschool and I asked one of my friends (who has no interest in trains) and I asked her what she thinks of the cars running on the (C) (which at the time were R38's), and she said she didn't like them because they were dirty, dark, rusty and screechy. Then I asked her what she thinks of the cars that run on the (:)(which at the time were [and still are] R68/A), and she didn't hate them nor have much opinions but thought they were satisfactory. I asked a lot of people and they has similar answers were similar. As long as a car meets the non-enthusiast's wants, they are fine with them.

It depends on the person, I know many people who favour the new against the old, or I should say, OLDER. I know people who ditch the Hippo Junior at Bedford Park Blvd (4) to ride the R142/A.

While many people would prefer trains that have proper heating, lighting, seating, announcements etc..., there are people who prefer the older trains just for the railfan window. So it really depends who it is.

Archived