Say GoodBy to the R40S/M R42's on the C

North-Eastern T/O

Ok I just found out that the swap they planned to do has been Posponed until Futher Notice. So R32's in QNS will stay there and R 40M / SLaints, R42 will REMAIN In Service on the (A)(C) Lines. When the information changes I do pass it along as it comes.

Wow. I thought the weekend when they were prepping the line for R40S/R42s, they were covering the markers up with black tape. How hilarious for the (MTA) to use spraypaint instead. lol.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yeah, just send them straight to the 207th street after their outlived their usefulness on the E. E riders want the R32s to stay due to their strong heating. just because you send a car to 207th street does not mean it has to run on the A/C.

True. In all honesty, it really is pointless to swap cars back and forth.

yeah, just send them straight to the 207th street after their outlived their usefulness on the E. E riders want the R32s to stay due to their strong heating. just because you send a car to 207th street does not mean it has to run on the A/C.

I don't know where you get this idea that E riders want R32s, but it's not accurate. E riders have been saying for years that they are tired of the old equipment on the E line (and that is the R32, the R42 just started service on the E in August or so). I haven't heard any positive or negative comments about the R42. E riders responded well to the R160 for the most part and this NTT is replacing the R32s and then the transition R42s. If you haven't noticed, there are more R42s than R32s on the E line and a good amount of R32s are on the F line right now. Whether R32 or R42, the E line riders are eager to have BOTH replaced by R160s, and that is exactly what the MTA is doing right now. I think in a few months, the E will be mostly R160 with some R42s, and R42s will appear mostly peak hours.

I don't know where you get this idea that E riders want R32s, but it's not accurate. E riders have been saying for years that they are tired of the old equipment on the E line (and that is the R32, the R42 just started service on the E in August or so). I haven't heard any positive or negative comments about the R42. E riders responded well to the R160 for the most part and this NTT is replacing the R32s and then the transition R42s. If you haven't noticed, there are more R42s than R32s on the E line and a good amount of R32s are on the F line right now. Whether R32 or R42, the E line riders are eager to have BOTH replaced by R160s, and that is exactly what the MTA is doing right now. I think in a few months, the E will be mostly R160 with some R42s, and R42s will appear mostly peak hours.

Actually, I agree with you for the most part. Many E riders said they are fed up with the old cars "R32s" and were not very delighted with the R42s. They wanted R46s and now, the R160s.

(E) riders are used to the R32s because they have dominated on that line since 1987. they are not that impressed with the R42s, so unless this pathetic R32-R40M/42 swap between the (E) and (C) takes place, all R42s and perhaps some R46s in Jamaica will be sent to Pitkin and 207th Street to replace the R38s and R40 slants. R38s are going to retire within the next two months, R40 slants will follow in April-May 2009, R32s will take suit in August, and finally, R40M/42s in November 2009-January 2010. (E) riders may not like the R32s, but they certainly prefer them over those rusted and ugly R42s, so the car assignment for June 2009 looks like this: (A) - R42s, R44s, maybe R46s; (C) - R40M/42s, (E) - R160s and R32s, (F) - R46s and maybe a few R160s, (R) - all R46s.

(E) riders are used to the R32s because they have dominated on that line since 1987. they are not that impressed with the R42s, so unless this pathetic R32-R40M/42 swap between the (E) and (C) takes place, all R42s and perhaps some R46s in Jamaica will be sent to Pitkin and 207th Street to replace the R38s and R40 slants. R38s are going to retire within the next two months, R40 slants will follow in April-May 2009, R32s will take suit in August, and finally, R40M/42s in November 2009-January 2010. (E) riders may not like the R32s, but they certainly prefer them over those rusted and ugly R42s, so the car assignment for June 2009 looks like this: (A) - R42s, R44s, maybe R46s; (C) - R40M/42s, (E) - R160s and R32s, (F) - R46s and maybe a few R160s, (R) - all R46s.

Being used to a certain class of cars does not mean they like them.

Based on my observation, E riders preferred R46s (when they ran) over the R32 and R42. Many E riders want the R32 to be replaced and were not thrilled when they found out the R42s were coming in.

E riders, for the most part, are delighted by the fact that the R160s are popping in.

Being used to a certain class of cars does not mean they like them.

Based on my observation, E riders preferred R46s (when they ran) over the R32 and R42. Many E riders want the R32 to be replaced and were not thrilled when they found out the R42s were coming in.

E riders, for the most part, are delighted by the fact that the R160s are popping in.

i think the E should swap cars with the F and R. have the E use R160s and R46s while the R becomes fully R32s and the F half R46s and half R32s. it is fun railfanning on the Culver Line you know.

i think the E should swap cars with the F and R. have the E use R160s and R46s while the R becomes fully R32s and the F half R46s and half R32s. it is fun railfanning on the Culver Line you know.

Ideally this is what is going to happen with the Jamaica Yd Lines:

E- R160

F- Mostly R46s, some R160 during rush hours

G- R46, to be transferred to Coney Island, will release 40 R46 when that happens

R- Exclusively R46

V- Exclusively R46

That is my assumption

Ideally this is what is going to happen with the Jamaica Yd Lines:

E- R160

F- Mostly R46s, some R160 during rush hours

G- R46, to be transferred to Coney Island, will release 40 R46 when that happens

R- Exclusively R46

V- Exclusively R46

That is my assumption

when will that happen? in 2010 after all the R32s-R42s retire. i think the F is also going to be using a lot of R160s, not just a little.

when will that happen? in 2010 after all the R32s-R42s retire. i think the F is also going to be using a lot of R160s, not just a little.

Some Q riders have stated their preference for the R68 due to the amount of seats it has over the R160. So, there are some R68s on the Q. The F is also a long line that carries many people deep into Brooklyn and perhaps the MTA is thinking that the line should keep some of the R46s for this reason. The R46 won't last as long as the R68, some of them are going to be replaced by the R179 6 to 7 years down the road. But for now, it's E R160, and then some go to the F. Time will tell how many when it happens. I'm guessing the F will be 75 percent R160 when the R160 enters revenue service on the F.

You have your opportunities to R32 rail fan on the F now. I don't know how much longer you will. The MTA doesn't like 75 footers on the E, so R46 appearances are rare. As for R32s going to either the R or F and those lines shedding their R46s, that would not be welcomed by their ridership. The R46 is a well-liked car, and they are being spruced up nicely.

The R46 won't last as long as the R68, some of them are going to be replaced by the R179 6 to 7 years down the road. .

NO THEY ARE NOT!!!!! I hate it when people say that!

Why does everyone keep saying that the R179 will replace the R46 as well as the R44s? The capital plan says that they ordering them to replace the R44, and that they are only ordering 208 of them. There are 754 R46's and about 200 R44's so you do the the math. In addition, the R179 is said to come in 2011-2013, and the R44 was made in 1971... so thats about 40 years.... so the R44's retire then. The R46 was made in 1975 and are in MUCH MUCH better condition than the R44's. They're replacement will probably be with a different order around 2015-2017.

Didn't I tell you that it is an assumption???

Now this is my view, updated; I used proof from the R160 datasheet and TheJoeKorner's updated car assignments to back my view. This view should be in effect when ideally, all R160s arrive at Jamaica Yard:

According to TheJoeKorner's Car Assignments (as of 21 December 2008), there are 26 trains assigned for E service and 45 trains assigned for F service.

Proof: http://www.thejoekorner.com/carassignments/bmt-ind-2008-12-21.html

R160A Option 1 Order for Jamaica Yard is 360 Cars, or 36 trains. An additional 70 cars from the R160B Option Order 1 that will head to Jamaica will form 7 trains. In total that would be 43 trains.

You can check here: http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dg6xszcp_1gw9f5kw9

So the predicted scenario would be (when all of those R160 arrive) that all of the 26 trains on the E would be R160. There would be 17 trains left, these will most likely go to service on the F. These cars will successfully replace the 130 R32 currently on the F line. The remaining 28 trains assigned to the F line would be R46. The 28 R46s amounts to 224 cars. The remaining 32 cars that were originally reserved for the F would most likely go to the R to replace the R42s currently on the line.

look, the fact is, this is what the car assignment for the B Division should look like once the R160 order is completed and all R32s-R42s retire.

A: R44s, R46s, and maybe some R68/68As

B: R68/68As

C: same as A except no R46s

D: R68s

E: R160s

F: R160s and maybe a few R46s

G: either R68/68As or R160s, most likely R68/68As

J/Z, M: R160s

L: R143s and R160s

N, Q, W: R160s

R, V: R46s

Yeah MTR, about that link. I looked at it and it said that there are only 152

R143's in service. Thats flat out wrong. There are 212 R143's in service. So I wouldn't be so sure this link is 100% accurate.

That is certainly flat wrong... and this actually reflects to the intended transfer of R32s to 207th Yd and the Mods and 42s to Jamaica. That was shot down though. But to safely say, I think the Jamaica Yd Lines for the most part are pretty accurate.

look, the fact is, this is what the car assignment for the B Division should look like once the R160 order is completed and all R32s-R42s retire.

A: R44s, R46s, and maybe some R68/68As

B: R68/68As

C: same as A except no R46s

D: R68s

E: R160s

F: R160s and maybe a few R46s

G: either R68/68As or R160s, most likely R68/68As

J/Z, M: R160s

L: R143s and R160s

N, Q, W: R160s

R, V: R46s

Seems possible but to be frank, when was it decided that the hippos are going to Pitkin??

A hippo is a nickname for the R68/R68A. I learned that from context from being on here...

ok then to answer MTR's question, there is a chance R68/68As could go on to Pitkin because there will be plenty of them once the N, Q and W become fully R160s. Any R68/68As left on the N will go on the B to replace the few R40s it still has. Those on the Q will go on the G, but i do not think there is enough R46s at Jamaica to replace all R40M/42s still in service, so the R68/68As on the W should go to Pitkin to fill in the gap caused by their retirement. Lately, there have been a few sightings of out-of-service R68/68As running on the A line with the roll signs marked for that route.

ok then to answer MTR's question, there is a chance R68/68As could go on to Pitkin because there will be plenty of them once the N, Q and W become fully R160s. Any R68/68As left on the N will go on the B to replace the few R40s it still has. Those on the Q will go on the G, but i do not think there is enough R46s at Jamaica to replace all R40M/42s still in service, so the R68/68As on the W should go to Pitkin to fill in the gap caused by their retirement. Lately, there have been a few sightings of out-of-service R68/68As running on the A line with the roll signs marked for that route.

The R160s slated for Jamaica will replace all R32s there as well as the R42s there. If the datasheet is true, 360 R160A as well as 70 R160B are slated for Jamaica Yard, bringing the total to 430 R160. Clearly the remaining Phase 1s will be out of the picture. Now what will the extra R160s replace? R46s? No. They will have to start replacing the R42s at Jamaica Yard.

As for the others:

R42 (Total: 263)

Jamaica: 166

207th: 57

East New York: 50

R40M (Total: 99)

207th: 69

Pitkin: 30

The East New York R42s will be replaced by an incoming R160A Option 2 order. This order will comprise of 242 cars. Additionally, an incoming R160B Option 2 order will replace the remaining R40M and R42. Say, IF, the incoming 140 R160B goes to Jamaica, then some R46s will be sent to the A/C.

That is my view, it may change as time progresses.

When the N, Q and W do in fact become fully R160, here will be the scenario in my view:

There are currently 341 R68/As. If the G becomes a Coney Island line, it will use say 40 cars. This brings the number down to 301. The B, according to The Joe Korner, currently uses 40 R40S, 112 R68 and 56 R68A. The 40 R40S will be exchanged for 32 R68s. (10 car train vs 8 car train; there are 4 trains) This will bring the total to 201 cars. The Shuttle uses 6 cars Yes, the leftover R68/A's will in fact have to go somewhere, and Pitkin/207th Yd is highly likely. There will be 95 left over cars.

Well, MTR... That link provided is confusing, yes it is! Deal with it and take the fact... I don't know when that thing is created but possibly by some rumour type of stuff, I'd rather trust the datasheet on nycsubway.org...

Dude...TheJoeKorner's sheet is NOT confusing. If you can't use it, too bad, don't complain. At least don't complain to me, complain to him.

Archived