Say GoodBy to the R40S/M R42's on the C

North-Eastern T/O

ducman and an another MTA worker on subchat said that ALL 32's will be over at pikin/207th yard, MOST of them are already on the (C) line.

the C does not need a lot of cars since it only uses 8 per train and does not run often. soon, all R32s will go to 207th street, but not for a few months.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just rode on the 8th Avenue Line today and most of the (E) still consists of R32s. During my trip that line, I saw one R160, one R40M, two R40M/42 mix, three R42s, and seven or eight R32s. I think only about 40-50% of the R32s were sent to the (C). R38s are back on that line, but they will soon be retired. The (A) now uses nothing but R40 slants and R44s.

No I am not a station agent, not even close.

hmm...fair enough...but then I take it you do work for Transit then?

Edit: never mind, just read your post in the introduction section so need for you to answer what you do since you said you'd rather not...I think I might have an idea but I'm not going to say anything more

• 10 months later...
here is the scheduled retirement date:

R38: mid to late February 2009

R40 slant: April - May 2009

R32: August 2009

R40M/42: November 2009-January 2010

by this time next year, the R44s will be the oldest cars in the system

Looks like your predictions were way off. The R32s are nowhere close to being retired, with 40% of the original number still running, and being the only cars on the (C), as well as having sets on the (A), (:), (R) and (V). The R40 Slants stuck around until June, and the R38s until March 18 (one month later than you predicted), but the R40Ms were gone by August, and didn't last until November as you said. I do not know about the state of the R42s (don't ride them often or know anyone who has insider info), but it appears to me the R32s will be around for a few months into 2010, maybe until summer.

Looks like your predictions were way off. The R32s are nowhere close to being retired, with 40% of the original number still running, and being the only cars on the (C), as well as having sets on the (A), (:o, (R) and (V). The R40 Slants stuck around until June, and the R38s until March 18 (one month later than you predicted), but the R40Ms were gone by August, and didn't last until November as you said. I do not know about the state of the R42s (don't ride them often or know anyone who has insider info), but it appears to me the R32s will be around for a few months into 2010, maybe until summer.

LOL bumping topic and now that is a great catch. But still im so glade they are STILL in service :)!!

Tho i miss the R40 on the (C)! Even BETTER the R38!!!

All 60 foot SMEE's will be gone from the system by the end of June 2010. As soon as the last two sets of R42s are retired from Jamaica they're going to get started on the R32s. I would assume that they would retire the last 2 R32s from Jamaica first before retiring the ones at 207th St.

LOL bumping topic and now that is a great catch. But still im so glade they are STILL in service B)!!

Tho i miss the R40 on the (C)! Even BETTER the R38!!!

Holy January '09 Gravedigging Batman!

Sorry. The "Similar Threads" at the bottom of the page often suggests old threads; I didn't quite check to see when the last posts were made.

Anyway, it is fun to look back at the end (last month) of a year and see what we did and didn't get right.

To be honest, it's been quite a year for railfans, with the R38, R40 Slants, R40Ms, and potentially R42s being retired, the (G) getting extended to Church Av, the new South Ferry stations, the reopening of Cortlandt Street on the BMT Broadway Line and so much more.

Sorry. The "Similar Threads" at the bottom of the page often suggests old threads; I didn't quite check to see when the last posts were made.

Anyway, it is fun to look back at the end (last month) of a year and see what we did and didn't get right.

To be honest, it's been quite a year for railfans, with the R38, R40 Slants, R40Ms, and potentially R42s being retired, the (G) getting extended to Church Av, the new South Ferry stations, the reopening of Cortlandt Street on the BMT Broadway Line and so much more.

Amen. And now the (C) is going to be a ten car six hundred foot train.

There's only 20 R42s left in Jamaica, 22 R32s left in Jamaica, and the 10 car R32 at C.I.

What does Jamaica do with 22 R32s? That is neither a whole number of 10-car trains (2 trains with 2 left over), nor enough to form 3 8-car trains (2 short). Are you sure about this?

Archived