Subway service cuts must be stopped!

JohnQPine

Well, its something that i saw a lot when i went to NY to visit my family, trains stops a lot especially before switches like at Dekalb avenue but like you said even though i'm not from NY and even an american, i agree a network that big will have some problems here and there.

Here in Paris, during rush hours trains can follow at an interval as low as 90 seconds and yes there is real time information telling people when the next trains are coming etc...

But about the trains stopping a lot well i guess nothing can be done when there are several lines sharing the same tracks and a lot of switches...

Still no other network in the world provide a full 24/24 7/7 service.

The NYC subway has made vast improvements over the years, including the addition of new R160 cars. However, it's still not in the league of the Washington Metro or subway systems in Europe or Asia. The signaling in NYC is antiquated and hinders speed and capacity.

The NYC subway has made vast improvements over the years, including the addition of new R160 cars. However, it's still not in the league of the Washington Metro or subway systems in Europe or Asia.

Which were most likely built more recently than the NYC Subway, and would have the benefits of hindsight and more advanced technology.

And to replace the signaling could require major overhaul and shutdown of lines for extended periods of time. Only a hypothesis though.

More people in New York City take the subway than drive. The subways are crowded, so where do they get off cutting service?

The MTA needs to cut waste, but also needs more funds, and City and State elected officials have failed to do what's right for the city and the planet, by rejecting congestion pricing. Now, even in this time of fiscal crisis, many still choose to stand in the way and represent car drivers, instead of straphangers.

It's why I have started my own Youtube channel dedicated to stopping the draconian MTA service cuts and fare hikes. The Ravitch Plan as well as the NYC Comptroller's plan need to be seriously considered. If subways and buses deteriorate, people and businesses will leave New York, costing us more in the long run. Have we not learned anything from the 70s?

http://www.youtube.com/user/NoMTAtransitcuts

So absolutely true...the MTA needs to stop wasting and need to do everything it can to keep fares low and service reliable, even if it means cutting many other services. Low fares and reliable service should be #1 on the MTA's priority list

The NYC subway has made vast improvements over the years, including the addition of new R160 cars. However, it's still not in the league of the Washington Metro or subway systems in Europe or Asia. The signaling in NYC is antiquated and hinders speed and capacity.

well what do you expect from a subway that was built in 1900 (with many sections built before) compared to a subway from the 70's ?

it's not a fair comparison in my opinion

and Paris opened its first metro line in 1900 so way before the 70s. But i agree with the fact the several things that are too old cannot be changed like error said.

But still i counter examples. In Paris that line 1 which is today the most congested metro line of Paris with a very high frequency was totally converted to a rubbered tire line in the mid 60s and right now they are starting to convert that line 1 into a fully driverless line so see radical modifications can still be made.

and Paris opened its first metro line in 1900 so way before the 70s. But i agree with the fact the several things that are too old cannot be changed like error said.

But still i counter examples. In Paris that line 1 which is today the most congested metro line of Paris with a very high frequency was totally converted to a rubbered tire line in the mid 60s and right now they are starting to convert that line 1 into a fully driverless line so see radical modifications can still be made.

YES.

The main problem I will say is the interlining we have here.

London has a similar set up but it functions well. The real problem is the aging infrastructure.

The London Underground is pretty old... many lines were built before say 1930. These include: Metropolitan, District, Circle, Hammersmith and City, the now closed East London Line, Northern, Central, Bakerloo and Piccadilly. Their infrastructure is ageing, isn't it? It's been around for a while.

with all these service cuts, just imagine if they wanted to take out the (Q), would the (B) train be the full time replacement and be extended to Coney Island?, what about late nights and weekends, where will it terminate???

The (:D already operates weekday service from Brighton Beach to 145 St, and extended to Bedford Pk Blvd during rush hours. Will it terminate at 145 St on the Weekends, or will it run via Broadway to 57 St/7 Ave? (If it does run up Broadway, why take out the (Q)?) Will it run to Whitehall St on the (R) line? i mean im just curious. where will the (B) terminate if it was to run 24/7 to replace the (Q)?

with all these service cuts, just imagine if they wanted to take out the (Q), would the (B) train be the full time replacement and be extended to Coney Island?, what about late nights and weekends, where will it terminate???

The (B) already operates weekday service from Brighton Beach to 145 St, and extended to Bedford Pk Blvd during rush hours. Will it terminate at 145 St on the Weekends, or will it run via Broadway to 57 St/7 Ave? (If it does run up Broadway, why take out the (Q)?) Will it run to Whitehall St on the (R) line? i mean im just curious. where will the (B) terminate if it was to run 24/7 to replace the (Q)?

I really doubt they would take out the (Q), the communities would go nuts if they do something like that

Archived