Ideas to merge or reduce any low usage MTA Bus lines?

Shortline Bus

With the doomesday proposed budget for 2009, planned for all other agenices in the family, MTA Bus was basically saved for now. However if the ecomony stays worse this company will be next in the doomesday cuts.

So if you was working for MTA Bus right now guys, short of the doomesday cuts which current MTAB lines which has low ridership or two nearby bus routes could be merged to save $$.

I give an example. Elimanate the Q21 service south of the Rockaways(terminating at 164th Ave/Cross Bay instead)as the Q53 would make *all stops south of 164th Avenue* servig Broad Channel and the rockaways.

Any ideas?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With the doomesday proposed budget for 2009, planned for all other agenices in the family, MTA Bus was basically saved for now. However if the ecomony stays worse this company will be next in the doomesday cuts.

So if you was working for MTA Bus right now guys, short of the doomesday cuts which current MTAB lines which has low ridership or two nearby bus routes could be merged to save $$.

I give an example. Elimanate the Q21 service south of the Rockaways(terminating at 164th Ave/Cross Bay instead)as the Q53 would make *all stops south of 164th Avenue* servig Broad Channel and the rockaways.

Any ideas?

That would save a lot of money. My idea would be to merge Q35 and Q22 together. Another is to kill the Q111 and let Q85 go closer to Q113 and take over Q111 to Rosedale, adn Q113 for the rest.

Merge the B60 with the B39.

The B60 in Brooklyn parallels the (L) route. If there is something wrong on the (L) line, (L) riders could use this supplementary route.

Comments?

MTR i was discussing mainly about the former NYC private bus lines but if you want to add NYCT lines that fine.

IMO mergering the B 60 and B39 is waytoo long. Mergering the B39 with say either the Q59 or the B24 for example makes more sense.

I dont believe in super long routes in NYC unless it has a limited stop/SBS service to it.

That would save a lot of money. My idea would be to merge Q35 and Q22 together. Another is to kill the Q111 and let Q85 go closer to Q113 and take over Q111 to Rosedale, adn Q113 for the rest.

Both the Q111 and Q113 are overwhelmed during rush hour. The Q111 is essentially a Q113 short run. It should be left this way.

Both the Q111 and Q113 are overwhelmed during rush hour. The Q111 is essentially a Q113 short run. It should be left this way.

I never thought of the Q111/113 having low ridership. What i had in mind guys was these MTAB/NYCT routes to merge or change the routings. Some of these routes are on the verge of being on the MTA doomesday list.

For example

Queens

Q38/Q39

Q104.

Q-21/11

Q22/35

Q49, Q69

Q101 & 102

Q79

Brooklyn

B7

B23

B16

B24

B13

B77

B71

And any oher in Queens and Manhattan too.

Hmmm excuse me have you rode the Q85, Q111 and Q113 b4? I doubt it very much b/c I live by those routes and those routes get heavy ridership especially the Q113 Limited. How can you seen the Q113 to Rosedale when lots of ppl live near the Far Rockaway......what sense would that make????

Hmmm excuse me have you rode the Q85, Q111 and Q113 b4? I doubt it very much b/c I live by those routes and those routes get heavy ridership especially the Q113 Limited. How can you seen the Q113 to Rosedale when lots of ppl live near the Far Rockaway......what sense would that make????

I know, I know, the Q11, Q113 is crowded. But if you kill the Q111, you can run more frequent buses onthe Q113. Q113 comes, I think like 5-10 min. but if you kill the Q111, the schedule can be like the ones they have for B6, two minutes a bus during the rush hour.

But you do make a good point.

Same routing but make it go like a loop, few busses go clockwise and few go counter clockwise.

The clockwise way is let the bus go from Grand Army Plaza > Prospect Park West > 9th Street > B-77 route then > Van Brunt Street > Union St > B-71 route and so on...

The count-clock way is let the bus go from Sackett St > Van Brunt > B-77 route then> 9th Street > 8th Ave > Grand Army Plaza> B-71 Route and so on...

Use same stops as: B-75, B-69 and B-61 enroute rest of 9th Street, Prospect Park W, 8th ave and Van Brunt Street...

I have to get back to you on that. In other ciies like San Diego, and LA they have a few crosstown routes run on clock-counterclock loops.

What about merging the B25 and the B83 and making it a limited? The B25 and the B83 almost end by each other (the dif is at Bway Jct train station, but that can be fixed). Also, turn the Q24 into a limited and make it run more frequently. It is a long ride from 168 St/Archer Av to my stop on Jefferson Av/Bway. Even though the (J) can be an alternative, even that gets packed.

What about merging the B25 and the B83 and making it a limited? The B25 and the B83 almost end by each other (the dif is at Bway Jct train station, but that can be fixed). Also, turn the Q24 into a limited and make it run more frequently. It is a long ride from 168 St/Archer Av to my stop on Jefferson Av/Bway. Even though the (J) can be an alternative, even that gets packed.

Mergering the B25 and B83 makes more sense than Fresh Pond earlier idea of running the ©subway line between 168th and Rockaway Park.

Still bit long especially with all of the double parked along Fulton between Franklin and Utica. Extending the B83 to/from Nostrand/Fulton makes much more sense.

Plus if you extend the B83 to Nostrand/Fulton, Bed Stuvy riders get access to Starret City and the Spring Creek Gateway mall too.

Off topic: When the budget crisis is over i would love for the TA to create a new B-84 route between Starret City (Penn and Seaview the existing B82 terminal)and Queens Center Mall. The B84 would also replace the Fresh Pond version of the B20.

Plus if you extend the B83 to Nostrand/Fulton, Bed Stuvy riders get access to Starret City and the Spring Creek Gateway mall too.

Off topic: When the budget crisis is over i would love for the TA to create a new B-84 route between Starret City (Penn and Seaview the existing B82 terminal)and Queens Center Mall. The B84 would also replace the Fresh Pond version of the B20.

Another advantage of extending the B83 to/from Nostrand/Bed Stuvy.

All of Fulton would still have 24/7 bus access. The B26 would serve Fulton *west of Bedford/Franklin Aves. The B25 could then become a weekday only route. Through service across Fulton St use the "(A) & ©" lines just like the (1)train is used for Through service for Broadway in Upper Manhattan and the NorthWestern Bronx.

Guest Charles

My ideas here. I pretty much only have Queens buses mapped out in my head though...

Allright.

1) Something needs to be done about the Q89 and Q103 buses. Come on, 30 minutes during rush hour, hourly during the midday, and service only weekdays 8 AM-6 PM?! Come on.

2) There is no need for Q21 service. Put more buses onto the Q11 and have the Q53 service the Rockaways.

3) The Q79 can be eliminated; one possible option is to turn the Q12 down Little Neck Parkway or the Q43/46 up Little Neck Parkway.

4) The Q75 service can be eliminated or combined with another of the Queens Village routes (Q17, for example)?

5) I have been a long advocate of eliminating useless express bus routes, like the QM3, QM22, and QM23. But put more service onto the ones that need the service, like morning QM1, QM11, and QM24 buses (all Downtown loop buses)

6) Do you really need a QM2 that goes to Bayside that leaves Manhattan at 6:50 AM on Saturday...???

7) I think the Q18/Q104 routes can be combined. Give that route to College Point.

8) Somehow combine the Q19/49/69 routes. Have it start at Queensboro Plaza, go up 21 Street, go along Astoria Blvd, go down 35th Avenue to the subway station, and loop back up to Northern Blvd. It's essentially like the Q66 but serves more residential areas.

9)The Q22 and Q35 routes can be combined.

10) The Q22 and Q22A routes can be combined.

11) The Q25 and Q34 routes can be combined.

12) The Q20A and Q20B routes can be combined.

13) More service, prefably on the Q30 and Q31 lines.

14) That Q42 bus...is it crowded? If so, keep it. If not, eliminiate it.

15) Add 1 or 2 lines from the Queens Village depot to Jamaica depot.

16) The Q38 and Q39 can somehow be combined, giving residents a one-stop service from Queensboro Plaza to Forest Hills/Corona. The Q38 could directly go from Otis Av-Corona to Forest Hills/108 Street, down it's normal path, meeth the Q39 in Maspeth/Middle Village, and continue to QBPlaza.

That's all for now!

My ideas here. I pretty much only have Queens buses mapped out in my head though...My Replies are in red.

Allright.

1) Something needs to be done about the Q89 and Q103 buses. Come on, 30 minutes during rush hour, hourly during the midday, and service only weekdays 8 AM-6 PM?! Come on. Dont know these routes too well so no comment.

2) There is no need for Q21 service. Put more buses onto the Q11 and have the Q53 service the Rockaways. Agree 100%. Maybe rename the Q21 Lindenwold line the Q11L and have the Q53 make all stops south of 164th Ave/Cross Bay.

3) The Q79 can be eliminated; one possible option is to turn the Q12 down Little Neck Parkway or the Q43/46 up Little Neck Parkway. Not bad idea. Another better option IMO is extend the Q36 up via Little Neck Parkway on selected trips weekdays. Gives riders from Little Neck and Douglastown a direct 1-seat bus to/from Jamaica.

4) The Q75 service can be eliminated or combined with another of the Queens Village routes (Q17, for example)? Extending the Q64 via 73rd Road to Oakland Gardens 24/7 makes the perfect sense to replace the Q75. The Q30 is a nearby bus route that replaces the Q75 for 1-seat ride between NW Queens and Jamaica.

5) I have been a long advocate of eliminating useless express bus routes, like the QM3, QM22, and QM23. But put more service onto the ones that need the service, like morning QM1, QM11, and QM24 buses (all Downtown loop buses) I only been on these MTA Buses a couple of times so again cant really say.

6) Do you really need a QM2 that goes to Bayside that leaves Manhattan at 6:50 AM on Saturday...??? Great point. Ditto for a 8am Brooklyn express Bus on the BM1 and BM3 MTA Buses in Midtown. Also Saturday Late evening Manhattan Bound BM1, BM2 and BM3 Brooklyn Express buses after 8pm is also a waste too.

7) I think the Q18/Q104 routes can be combined. Give that route to College Point. Maybe but how to merge the Q18/104? You lose bus service on either Broadway or 30rd Avenue in Astoria.

8) Somehow combine the Q19/49/69 routes. Have it start at Queensboro Plaza, go up 21 Street, go along Astoria Blvd, go down 35th Avenue to the subway station, and loop back up to Northern Blvd. It's essentially like the Q66 but serves more residential areas.

Not a bad idea. It makes most sense to run this route between the Marine Air Trminal at LGA IMO with alternative service extended to Main and Roosvelt daily between appx 7am-9pm daily. Could take riders off the busy M60 and Q66.

9)The Q22 and Q35 routes can be combined. IMO the Q22 should only be extended to the Kings Plaza area if possble due to unpredictble traffic along Flatbush Ave. Extending the "22" to Kings Plaza provides all Rockaway pensuila residents from Far Rock-Breeze Point a direct 1-seat ride.

However 'no' to mergering the Q22/35. Any problems with traffic along Flatbush and terrible bus bunching delays will occur on the Q22. Happens now on the Q35.

Off topic.The Q35 late nights only should be extended to Beach 67th ("A") line stop for replacement late nights for the Rockaway Park shuttle.

10) The Q22 and Q22A routes can be combined.-IMO only Weekdays ok to the Hosptial when the Q22a currently operates.

11) The Q25 and Q34 routes can be combined.-They are already sort of the same route except for the small part in College Point that when the Q25 and 34 'separte.' Plus the Q34 does not run on Sundays/Major Holidays. Leave this alone.

12) The Q20A and Q20B routes can be combined.-Or better yet scrap the 14th Avenue branch aka the Q20b of this line.

13) More service, prefably on the Q30 and Q31 lines.-Not happening now in this new era of 'doomesday budgets.'

16) The Q38 and Q39 can somehow be combined, giving residents a one-stop service from Queensboro Plaza to Forest Hills/Corona. The Q38 could directly go from Otis Av-Corona to Forest Hills/108 Street, down it's normal path, meeth the Q39 in Maspeth/Middle Village, and continue to QBPlaza.

That's all for now!

Rest of your ideas i wont comment about it since i dont Queens that well.

First of all,there's a lack of Q-111/113 buses as is and I don't think it will be a good idea to to dump the Q 111,it's a alternative bus route just in case 113 get jack up....I don't trust 113 anyway.

Yall people actually think it's a good idea to merge the B 25 and 83....Yall need look at the bus map and see if it's a good thing....the 83 suck as is and 83/25 going to suck even more if they merge...the route will be too long....it's a dumb idea.

What about merging the B25 and the B83 and making it a limited? The B25 and the B83 almost end by each other (the dif is at Bway Jct train station, but that can be fixed). Also, turn the Q24 into a limited and make it run more frequently. It is a long ride from 168 St/Archer Av to my stop on Jefferson Av/Bway. Even though the can be an alternative, even that gets packed.

if the Q 24 is slow,ride the J train...that Why I take the J train in the first palce....they not going to put LTD on a bus route that parallel the subway line...that's the truth.

First of all,there's a lack of Q-111/113 buses as is and I don't think it will be a good idea to to dump the Q 111,it's a alternative bus route just in case 113 get jack up....I don't trust 113 anyway.

Yall people actually think it's a good idea to merge the B 25 and 83....Yall need look at the bus map and see if it's a good thing....the 83 suck as is and 83/25 going to suck even more if they merge...the route will be too long....it's a dumb idea.

if the Q 24 is slow,ride the J train...that Why I take the J train in the first palce....they not going to put LTD on a bus route that parallel the subway line...that's the truth.

I'm not saying that it is slow, i'm saiying that it is long. the (J) gets crowded and the Q24 is an alternative

"1) Something needs to be done about the Q89 and Q103 buses. Come on, 30 minutes during rush hour, hourly during the midday, and service only weekdays 8 AM-6 PM?! Come on.

2) There is no need for Q21 service. Put more buses onto the Q11 and have the Q53 service the Rockaways.

3) The Q79 can be eliminated; one possible option is to turn the Q12 down Little Neck Parkway or the Q43/46 up Little Neck Parkway.

4) The Q75 service can be eliminated or combined with another of the Queens Village routes (Q17, for example)?

5) I have been a long advocate of eliminating useless express bus routes, like the QM3, QM22, and QM23. But put more service onto the ones that need the service, like morning QM1, QM11, and QM24 buses (all Downtown loop buses)

6) Do you really need a QM2 that goes to Bayside that leaves Manhattan at 6:50 AM on Saturday...???

7) I think the Q18/Q104 routes can be combined. Give that route to College Point.

9)The Q22 and Q35 routes can be combined.

10) The Q22 and Q22A routes can be combined.

11) The Q25 and Q34 routes can be combined.

12) The Q20A and Q20B routes can be combined.

13) More service, prefably on the Q30 and Q31 lines.

That's all for now!

I agree with the following...

2) I agree with that. Just merge it with the Q53 in the Rockaways and the Q11 on Cross Bay Blvd

9) It's somewhat the same thing in the Rockaways

10) I thought they did that already. Anyway there's only 2 (yes 2) buses a day. The Q22A is a waste.

11) Not really because the Q34 is a local alternative to the Q25.

12) It was actually combined about 12 years ago, but they split it up. It would make sense to re-combine them.

Again guys why the urge to merge the Q22 and Q35. IMO the Q22 should only be extended to the Kings Plaza area if possble due to unpredictble traffic along Flatbush Ave. Extending the "22" to Kings Plaza provides all Rockaway pensuila residents from Far Rock-Breeze Point a direct 1-seat ride.

However 'no' to mergering the Q22/35. Any problems with traffic along Flatbush and terrible bus bunching delays will occur on the Q22. Happens now on the Q35.

Off topic.The Q35 late nights only should be extended to Beach 67th ("A") line stop for replacement late nights for the Rockaway Park shuttle.

Again guys why the urge to merge the Q22 and Q35. IMO the Q22 should only be extended to the Kings Plaza area if possble due to unpredictble traffic along Flatbush Ave. Extending the "22" to Kings Plaza provides all Rockaway pensuila residents from Far Rock-Breeze Point a direct 1-seat ride.

The Flatbush Avenue traffic is only bad some of the times.

Archived