Ideas to merge or reduce any low usage MTA Bus lines?

Shortline Bus

Ok. Then why on weekends the Q35 and B41 has at times sevre bunching delays? Also the bridge opening on the Hodges/Marine Park Bridge too.

The only way the Q22/35 could merge is by creating a SBS or HOV lane along Flatbush.

Yea, but the severe traffic is only on Glenwood Rd. and above. It's usually NOT jammed. The bridge doesn't oepn that much. My plan would be:

[GMAPS]<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=Flatbush+Ave&daddr=Rockaway+Beach+Blvd+to:Beach+Channel+Dr%2FRockaway+Fwy+to:Rockaway+Fwy+to:Rockaway+Fwy+to:40.604521,-73.753839&hl=en&geocode=FZj_awIddqiX-w%3BFVIyawIdzFOZ-w%3BFa5dawIdOd-Z-w%3BFQJkawIdIBWa-w%3BFehyawIdFmia-w%3B&mra=dme&mrcr=3&mrsp=5&sz=16&via=3&sll=40.602843,-73.751714&sspn=0.007315,0.013733&ie=UTF8&ll=40.602843,-73.751714&spn=0.007315,0.013733&output=embed&s=AARTsJrIpgFdmIbFvYwpmfEMDLDb1_n4TA"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=Flatbush+Ave&daddr=Rockaway+Beach+Blvd+to:Beach+Channel+Dr%2FRockaway+Fwy+to:Rockaway+Fwy+to:Rockaway+Fwy+to:40.604521,-73.753839&hl=en&geocode=FZj_awIddqiX-w%3BFVIyawIdzFOZ-w%3BFa5dawIdOd-Z-w%3BFQJkawIdIBWa-w%3BFehyawIdFmia-w%3B&mra=dme&mrcr=3&mrsp=5&sz=16&via=3&sll=40.602843,-73.751714&sspn=0.007315,0.013733&ie=UTF8&ll=40.602843,-73.751714&spn=0.007315,0.013733&source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>[/GMAPS]

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bah humbug, I already explained it and won't want to do a map, go explore my comment on yourself, get some internet excersise, B)!

Better you do a map, so that we could all understand fully graphically what you said previously... so that I could see how much of an impact it would affect the communities.

As someone said earlier the merging of the B60 and the B39 is a bit too long, perhaps we could use that route for SBS. Also, I do feel that the B39 is a bit redundant... the J M and Z parallels it for the most part. It is only useful if there is a G.O. However, if it is merged with existing routes at the Williamsburg Br Terminal, it could have better patronage.

Better you do a map, so that we could all understand fully graphically what you said previously... so that I could see how much of an impact it would affect the communities.

As someone said earlier the merging of the B60 and the B39 is a bit too long, perhaps we could use that route for SBS. Also, I do feel that the B39 is a bit redundant... the J M and Z parallels it for the most part. It is only useful if there is a G.O. However, if it is merged with existing routes at the Williamsburg Br Terminal, it could have better patronage.

Sure the B39 is redundant to the (J)(M) lines but last time i looked the Delecancy-Essex Street is not ADA/wheelchair accessible. It a shame the MTA spent tens of millions of dollars to renovate that station a couple of years ago and yet not install at least a wheelchair ramp?

If Essex St was ADA accessible then i would agree with the MTA and say 'go ahead' elimante the B39.

Until that happens keep the B39 such as mergering it with the B24 or Q59. Or even scrap overnight B39 service if needed which is a waste imo.

Sure the B39 is redundant to the (J)(M) lines but last time i looked the Delecancy-Essex Street is not ADA/wheelchair accessible. It a shame the MTA spent tens of millions of dollars to renovate that station a couple of years ago and yet not install at least a wheelchair ramp?

If Essex St was ADA accessible then i would agree with the MTA and say 'go ahead' elimante the B39.

Until that happens keep the B39 such as mergering it with the B24 or Q59. Or even scrap overnight B39 service if needed which is a waste imo.

Let me play devil's advocate:

How many people take the B39 from Allen or Essex to WB?

Who rides it?

How many disabled people did you see?

The thing is... having a bus line paralleling the subway line is redundant, however if it is merged with another bus route from WB it will really help.

Let me play devil's advocate:

How many people take the B39 from Allen or Essex to WB?

Who rides it?

How many disabled people did you see?

The thing is... having a bus line paralleling the subway line is redundant, however if it is merged with another bus route from WB it will really help.

Good point. I dont ride the B39 reguarly but i used to work in the Williamsburg area a few years ago. During rush hours the bus always had at least 1 wheelchair seat/lift in use so i would say '1' rider every other trip.

I know, I know, the Q11, Q113 is crowded. But if you kill the Q111, you can run more frequent buses onthe Q113. Q113 comes, I think like 5-10 min. but if you kill the Q111, the schedule can be like the ones they have for B6, two minutes a bus during the rush hour.

But you do make a good point.

Again, you wouldn't be saving money. You would simply be calling the Q111 the Q113 short run.

Good point. I dont ride the B39 reguarly but i used to work in the Williamsburg area a few years ago. During rush hours the bus always had at least 1 wheelchair seat/lift in use so i would say '1' rider every other trip.

In that case, would it be more convenient for the person to call Access-a-Ride then? :)

Guest Charles

The thing is... having a bus line paralleling the subway line is redundant

Talk about redundant, look at the Bx4.

Although, a lot of teh elders in those areas of the Bronx frequently use that bus. I don't think the (MTA) should cut it completely. I guess lower the frequencies?

Obvious mergers like the Q22 and the Q35 won't happen. Too much political clout in the western end of the Rockaways. Maybe a late night merger, weekend might be pushing it. And maybe they should eliminate the northbound Q35 that stop at Beach 169th. Just let it go straight to Midwood. The elimination of the Q21 is doable, with the Q53 going local all the way south of Pitkin. Late nights, the Q11 can be extended to Beach 116th as opposed to ending at Howard Beach. I'm pretty sure HB residents wouldn't mind. Besides that, eliminating weekend service on the Q67 is doable. Any other major changes would be eliminating weekend service or reducing operating hours.

Obvious mergers like the Q22 and the Q35 won't happen. Too much political clout in the western end of the Rockaways. Maybe a late night merger, weekend might be pushing it. And maybe they should eliminate the northbound Q35 that stop at Beach 169th. Just let it go straight to Midwood. The elimination of the Q21 is doable, with the Q53 going local all the way south of Pitkin. Late nights, the Q11 can be extended to Beach 116th as opposed to ending at Howard Beach. I'm pretty sure HB residents wouldn't mind. Besides that, eliminating weekend service on the Q67 is doable. Any other major changes would be eliminating weekend service or reducing operating hours.

The easiest thing is just run the Q53 all night with 40 or 60 minute headways overnights.

I'll try to comment on everything here..... skimming through this post, a lot of it I agree with.....

I'm not saying that it is slow, i'm saiying that it is long. the (J) gets crowded and the Q24 is an alternative

"1) Something needs to be done about the Q89 and Q103 buses. Come on, 30 minutes during rush hour, hourly during the midday, and service only weekdays 8 AM-6 PM?! Come on.

I happen to agree...

The problem is... what, though.....

2) There is no need for Q21 service. Put more buses onto the Q11 and have the Q53 service the Rockaways.

Agreed. Instead of having buses serve howard/hamilton beach, I don't see why some q11's can't end down there where the Q41 ends at (serving lindenwood), and some q11 runs can end in howard beach.... the short turns @ the A train station can remain as well... but of course, that'd make too much sense... since, you know, that'd defeat the purpose of that insensible extension of the q21 to QB....

3) The Q79 can be eliminated; one possible option is to turn the Q12 down Little Neck Parkway or the Q43/46 up Little Neck Parkway.

forget about the Q43 or the Q46 (glen oaks branch).... only somewhat viable option would be sending Q12's... maybe down to Glen Oaks (where the Q46 ends)... but not all the way down to Jamaica....

4) The Q75 service can be eliminated or combined with another of the Queens Village routes (Q17, for example)?

the "popular" idea, regarding this, is extending the Q64... but that's not as feasible as people try to make it seem.... I give up on thinking of what to do w/ the Q75 (or possible alternatives to serve that area affected).....

5) I have been a long advocate of eliminating useless express bus routes, like the QM3, QM22, and QM23. But put more service onto the ones that need the service, like morning QM1, QM11, and QM24 buses (all Downtown loop buses)

I'd just say the QM1 & the QM11...

6) Do you really need a QM2 that goes to Bayside that leaves Manhattan at 6:50 AM on Saturday...???

lol.... amazing what political clout can do for a community aint it...

7) I think the Q18/Q104 routes can be combined. Give that route to College Point.

the Q18 & the Q104? explain bro.

8) Somehow combine the Q19/49/69 routes. Have it start at Queensboro Plaza, go up 21 Street, go along Astoria Blvd, go down 35th Avenue to the subway station, and loop back up to Northern Blvd. It's essentially like the Q66 but serves more residential areas.

I've been thinking of somethin like that also; some type of new routing that involves those 3 routes.... the Q19 b/w the N/W train station, and 21st st, is dreadful... also, the extension over to flushing helped the route somewhat... but there just isn't as many riders along astoria blvd as one would think there might be....

9)The Q22 and Q35 routes can be combined.

I disagree with this... I see ppl. bring this idea up, but other than a 1 seat ride, I don't see any upside to this... riders to/from the rockaways are content w/ xferring @ the B 169th st stop, and that stop just before the Q35 turns off on B 147th st (heading towards B 116th).....

10) The Q22 and Q22A routes can be combined.

I thought the Q22a was discontinued....

11) The Q25 and Q34 routes can be combined.

how? the Q34 pans off to the east, and the Q25 pans off to the north & west

12) The Q20A and Q20B routes can be combined.

nah, don't see the point of buses serving 20th av... then turning back to serve that stretch of 14th the Q20b does...... not too practical....unless you are thinking of some other combo....

I think gettin rid of the Q20b, and having those runs go to the 20a service would be the way to go... sure, traffic on 20th av gets nightmarish, but there isn't much of anything on 14th av... when people @ flushing (the masses that are there) waiting at that Q20/44 stop, and they see the 20b, many of them don't get on...

13) More service, prefably on the Q30 and Q31 lines.

Can't say I fully agree or disagree, but can service get any worse... especially on that 31... good lord... waiting @ the hillside/169th stop (or homelawn/hillside stop, whichever way you wanna look @ it), it's not uncommon to see 2 Q30's before that Q31 comes....

14) That Q42 bus...is it crowded? If so, keep it. If not, eliminiate it.

I'll say this much... gets a heck of a lot more ridership than the Q89 & the 103.... lol... I think the Q42 should be kept, but maybe extended elsewhere, after serving Jamaica ctr.... not sure where, though....

15) Add 1 or 2 lines from the Queens Village depot to Jamaica depot.

for what? jamaica is dilapidated for one, & two, already has heavy routes like the Q4, Q5, and the Q17 to worry about... I think QV is fine as is w/ its routes....

16) The Q38 and Q39 can somehow be combined, giving residents a one-stop service from Queensboro Plaza to Forest Hills/Corona. The Q38 could directly go from Otis Av-Corona to Forest Hills/108 Street, down it's normal path, meeth the Q39 in Maspeth/Middle Village, and continue to QBPlaza.

yep, that'd be one spur of a possible split q38 route; from lefrak city to ridgewood... haven't given too much thought about the other spur of the 38, though....

That's all for now!

B)

First of all,there's a lack of Q-111/113 buses as is and I don't think it will be a good idea to to dump the Q 111,it's a alternative bus route just in case 113 get jack up....I don't trust 113 anyway.

Yall people actually think it's a good idea to merge the B 25 and 83....Yall need look at the bus map and see if it's a good thing....the 83 suck as is and 83/25 going to suck even more if they merge...the route will be too long....it's a dumb idea.

if the Q 24 is slow,ride the J train...that Why I take the J train in the first palce....they not going to put LTD on a bus route that parallel the subway line...that's the truth.

Ouch...

that is a bad idea to merge the B25 & the B83... I'm just picturing those routes in my head... that'd easily be a hour & a half runtime... just as horrid as that *expletive* B82.....

current 83 is too unreliable, and waiting for the 25 along fulton mall... it's like it always shows up last out of the bunch (of all the routes that serve the fulton mall strip).... sometimes 2 B52's and 2 B38's show up before a B25 will.... yes it gets good ridership, don't get me wrong... what I'm saying is, those two routes should stand alone, not merged.....

Ouch...

that is a bad idea to merge the B25 & the B83... I'm just picturing those routes in my head... that'd easily be a hour & a half runtime... just as horrid as that *expletive* B82.....

current 83 is too unreliable, and waiting for the 25 along fulton mall... it's like it always shows up last out of the bunch (of all the routes that serve the fulton mall strip).... sometimes 2 B52's and 2 B38's show up before a B25 will.... yes it gets good ridership, don't get me wrong... what I'm saying is, those two routes should stand alone, not merged.....

Agreed, especially since they alternated the 83 to Gateway Mall. Imagine trying to set up a limited run along Fulton St from Van Sinderen to lets say Hudson St downtown. There would be severe bunching btn Marcus Garvey and Franklin Ave in both directions because the nature of the cross streets, Restoration Plaza, the flood of traffic pouring in From New York Ave, persistant double parking btn Brooklyn Ave and Bedford...it would be a mid day nightmare, not to mention the evening rush. Fulton St is too narrow for a limited; one lane in each direction.

I can see a merger of the B2 and the B100 since their routes are almost identical. Also since there would now be more B2s that could free up the Gerritsen Bch B31 from Ave R. Can't figure out where else to send it though. B3 has Ave U locked up, B2/100 has Ave R...B9 has Ave L/M. Maybe just run 31 up to Kings Hwy & Nostrand and terminate it there.

Just a clarification on the B2-100 merge. Since e/b B100s crossed Flatbush and went straight on to Mill Basin and the B2 turns south from Ave S and goes to the Plaza, the problem could be solved by having the e/b B2-100 go south to the Plaza and hit the turnaround, drop off any passengers then resume the e/b route at Filmore. The w/b trip to Kings Hwy would not go to the Plaza. It would cross Flatbush and continue w/b. Passengers who came to the Plaza via e/b loop could either wait for an e/b B2-100 and get a continuance to the w/b at Filmore or take any n/b bus (B9, 41,46, Q35) and transfer at Filmore. This way there will still be service to/from the Plaza and only 10 mins would be added to the e/b trip and no extra time to the w/b run. Slick, huh?

Okay, it seems like you guys defeated me again...................:eek:

I got a better one. Merge B37 and B63. Cancel the B37, and wouldn't riders rather opt to take the B63 or the (R) train.

AND

A B67 and B23 merge where you have B103 serving the area on Cortelyou Rd and B67 extended to New Utrect Avenue.

Okay, it seems like you guys defeated me again...................:eek:

I got a better one. Merge B37 and B63. Cancel the B37, and wouldn't riders rather opt to take the B63 or the (R) train.

AND

A B67 and B23 merge where you have B103 serving the area on Cortelyou Rd and B67 extended to New Utrect Avenue.

AGREED! The B23 is underutilized, and merging with the B67 would solve that.

Same with the B37, which is not necessary.

Also, how bout extending the B71 bus on Eastern Parkway to Utica Avenue?

And part of me always wanted to see the B3 follow the B64's route after the depot to Bay Ridge, giving Brooklyn a full crosstown ride from the Eastern-most point of Brooklyn to the Western-most.

Archived