Ideas to merge or reduce any low usage MTA Bus lines?

Shortline Bus

Except that the G turns away halfway down the run, so those continuing past Nostrand wont find that any good.

Agreed. I agree with Forest Glen on alot on issues. However i dsagree and the B38 should have some sort of limited or even ideally 'express' service between Bway/Macolm X Blvd and Flatbush during the rush at least.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Idk if anyone posted this suggestion but I think they should combine the Q32 and Q47 routes in my opinion. Eliminate the Q32 stretch from Jackson Hts Station to 82nd and Northern Blvd (because the Q33 already serves that part on 82nd and 83rd Streets) have it enter LGA via 82nd st and go to the Marine Air Terminal first. Then head to Delta, USAir, and CTB and leave out via 94th St and follow the Q33 route to 82nd st and 23rd St and terminate there to rest from the long ride from Penn Station. Plus if thats the case as well they should make a LTD route of this as well to make the trip faster.

Idk if anyone posted this suggestion but I think they should combine the Q32 and Q47 routes in my opinion. Eliminate the Q32 stretch from Jackson Hts Station to 82nd and Northern Blvd (because the Q33 already serves that part on 82nd and 83rd Streets) have it enter LGA via 82nd st and go to the Marine Air Terminal first. Then head to Delta, USAir, and CTB and leave out via 94th St and follow the Q33 route to 82nd st and 23rd St and terminate there to rest from the long ride from Penn Station. Plus if thats the case as well they should make a LTD route of this as well to make the trip faster.

they could but the question is WILL they

I did propose that. You can have alternative Q32's terminate/end at 61st-Woodside in case of traffic along the Queensboro(59th St)Bridge. Also the NIMBYS in Jackson Heights/Elmhurst wont complain since the Q33 LGA-Jackson Heights 'shuttle' stays in place.

• 2 weeks later...

On the B15 Limited mentioned in a few posts back, how about these 3 plans for it:

1) All Limited buses head to JFK and the local to the Postal facility.

2) Same as above except the local mimics the late night route(serving both the Postal facility and JFK)

3) Both the Ltd and the local serve both terminals alternately. Meaning that both the Limited and local go to JFK and the other scheduled behind goes to Spring Creek.

Pros & cons about it?

On the B15 Limited mentioned in a few posts back, how about these 3 plans for it:

2) Same as above except the local mimics the late night route(serving both the Postal facility and JFK)

3) Both the Ltd and the local serve both terminals alternately. Meaning that both the Limited and local go to JFK and the other scheduled behind goes to Spring Creek.

Pros & cons about it?

Agreed 100000%

Guest Charles

Here's a far-fetched idea. Instead of the Q16 operating two distinct services in Bayside on both Willets Pt. Blvd and Utopia Pkwy, maybe the (MTA) could extend the Q31 past its present terminal (Francis Lewis/29 Av) up Utopia Pkwy. This would make all Q16s operate via Willets Pt Blvd. Now I don't know if this will help reduce congestion...I've never been on the Q16/Q31 in that area. But maybe this will help Q16 confusion and put the Q31 to greater use.

Feel free to comment.

Pros & cons about it?

Brilliant!!!!

Here's a far-fetched idea. Instead of the Q16 operating two distinct services in Bayside on both Willets Pt. Blvd and Utopia Pkwy, maybe the (MTA) could extend the Q31 past its present terminal (Francis Lewis/29 Av) up Utopia Pkwy. This would make all Q16s operate via Willets Pt Blvd. Now I don't know if this will help reduce congestion...I've never been on the Q16/Q31 in that area. But maybe this will help Q16 confusion and put the Q31 to greater use.

Feel free to comment.

Not sure what congestion you're speaking of...

And I doubt there's any confusion, regarding Q16 riders... b/c that's a low(er) ridership route, regardless of w/e branch it takes... it's not like the, let's say, Q20a/b, where more ppl generally look to board more 20a's than 20b's....

The majority of riders (from what I've seen/experienced) on the Q31, are students... and let's face it, Q31 headways are just as poor as the Q16's headways, so there's not much to gain from such an extension.... That, and Utopia pkwy. ridership in that area is almost nil...

If anything, the Q28 should maybe start *somewhere* in that area... the current Q28 goes from terminal to terminal in about 30-35 minutes... not that I'm proposing that, but it'd make more sense than extending the Q31, regardless if it heads to Jamaica...

Your idea may look good on a map, but realistically, I don't see much, if any benefit from it....

• 5 weeks later...

I see some very good ideas proposed,especially some of the eastern and southern Brooklyn-Queens ideas. It does appear that some posters have fallen into the "close proximity" trap espoused by the (MTA) beancounters. Just because a bus route runs above or near a subway it does NOT mean that they share the same ridership. For example the ridership of the B25 ( Fulton St) bus may come from the same neighborhoods as the underground (A), (C), riders but their reasons for using one mode over the other vary. You have daytrippers, shoppers, working commuters, the elderly or infirm or school kids all traveling along this corridor for different reasons. The commuters have time constraints which, depending on distance, usually relegates them to the subway. Students may fall into this category also. The others will generally use the bus because of the climbing up and down staircases. Would you actually relegate an 80 year old senior on his/her way to a doctor's appointment to the subway or a 3 block walk to another bus line? I'm not a B/O but as a lifelong resident of Brooklyn some of these reductions or service changes fail to reflect the reality of traffic patterns and ridership in general. One can stand at Flatbush-Nostrand Junction, Grand Army Plaza-Flatbush-Eastern Parkway, or Pitkin-Euclid-Conduit, or Kings Plaza and Downtown Brooklyn-Fulton Mall and just watch the ebb and flow of people and traffic before you decide on these changes. It appears the (MTA)just counted numbers and didn't research the people . Let's not fall into the same trap. Just my opinion.

I see some very good ideas proposed,especially some of the eastern and southern Brooklyn-Queens ideas. It does appear that some posters have fallen into the "close proximity" trap espoused by the (MTA) beancounters. Just because a bus route runs above or near a subway it does NOT mean that they share the same ridership. For example the ridership of the B25 ( Fulton St) bus may come from the same neighborhoods as the underground (A), (C), riders but their reasons for using one mode over the other vary. You have daytrippers, shoppers, working commuters, the elderly or infirm or school kids all traveling along this corridor for different reasons. The commuters have time constraints which, depending on distance, usually relegates them to the subway. Students may fall into this category also. The others will generally use the bus because of the climbing up and down staircases. Would you actually relegate an 80 year old senior on his/her way to a doctor's appointment to the subway or a 3 block walk to another bus line? I'm not a B/O but as a lifelong resident of Brooklyn some of these reductions or service changes fail to reflect the reality of traffic patterns and ridership in general. One can stand at Flatbush-Nostrand Junction, Grand Army Plaza-Flatbush-Eastern Parkway, or Pitkin-Euclid-Conduit, or Kings Plaza and Downtown Brooklyn-Fulton Mall and just watch the ebb and flow of people and traffic before you decide on these changes. It appears the (MTA)just counted numbers and didn't research the people . Let's not fall into the same trap. Just my opinion.

Perfectly said my friend. If the doomesday cuts stand i am almost sure a lawsuit for ADA riders will be made to restore the cuts. And the MTA will lose tens of millions more.

I think it's a better idea to merge the Q32 and Q33.

Here's my idea about the B2, B100 and B31 routes.

Axe the B2. The B100 is essentially the exact same route, and makes the same transfers as the B2 does. The B2 is more infrequent than the B100 and can be axed.

Now, you can combine the B100 and the B31. The B100 runs its normal route from Mill Basin to Kings Hwy. Then, instead of looping back to its normal route, it continues down 16th St. (the Brighton Line) for a block, and then continues along the B31 route. Since the B100 runs at lower headways than the B31 during the rush, you can short turn some buses at Kings Hwy and run them back to Mill Basin. This would save buses, and the (MTA) might not have to buy 10-25 new NGs, saving them at least $5 million. Then there's the savings from running more streamlined service. This route would run out of whichever depot (FLA, SC) is closer.

I think it's a better idea to merge the Q32 and Q33.

Here's my idea about the B2, B100 and B31 routes.

Axe the B2. The B100 is essentially the exact same route, and makes the same transfers as the B2 does. The B2 is more infrequent than the B100 and can be axed.

Now, you can combine the B100 and the B31. The B100 runs its normal route from Mill Basin to Kings Hwy. Then, instead of looping back to its normal route, it continues down 16th St. (the Brighton Line) for a block, and then continues along the B31 route. Since the B100 runs at lower headways than the B31 during the rush, you can short turn some buses at Kings Hwy and run them back to Mill Basin. This would save buses, and the (MTA) might not have to buy 10-25 new NGs, saving them at least $5 million. Then there's the savings from running more streamlined service. This route would run out of whichever depot (FLA, SC) is closer.

That might work, but there's a problem. 16th St is one-way (SB) so what about buses going north?

even though mta bus was spared by the doomsday cuts, mta bus routes will be switching depots in the very near future. dob (department of buses) wants to keep bus routes close to depots to save fuel and keep non-revenue miles low on the bus fleet. so be on the look out for major route depot swapping.

even though mta bus was spared by the doomsday cuts, mta bus routes will be switching depots in the very near future. dob (department of buses) wants to keep bus routes close to depots to save fuel and keep non-revenue miles low on the bus fleet. so be on the look out for major route depot swapping.

You mean it will be possible for a change of the Q100, Q101, Q102, Q103, Q104 routes to LGA?

Guest Charles

What do you think about the Q89 bus? It has what, 8 trips a day in each direction?

I looked over the (MTA)'s proposed cuts...they didn't mention anything about reducing the College Point Express routes, especially during the weekends. if they haven't updated the schedule yet, then there's still going to be a QM2 that departs Midtown for Bay Terrace at like 7:00 AM or something...total waste. Also many QM4s run empty along Jewel Avenue. College Point buses are really useful during the weekdays (they're the most used lines) but I think there's just a tad too much QM1/A service. Any reactions?

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I'd revive this thread with an idea I thought up the other day.

Merge the B71, B75, B77

From Red Hook Via B77 to Court/Smith Street, than via B75 to Union Street (3rd Street coming from Crown Heights), then via B71 to Crown Heights. Then MAYBE via the B48 to Greenpoint.

Thoughts?

I predict SC will lose most of its routes, heres my prediction...

Spring creek

Q7

Q8

B13

B82

BM2

BM5

B103

Flatbush would get the B100 and the B47 back

Grand ave would get the B44 to make room for those routes.

As for the BM1, BM3 and BM4 I guess they would have to somehow fit them into UP. UP would lose the B64 to JG and the B6 to ENY to make some space.

Btw for those who don't know the location of the SC depot, its near the gateway mall at the very end of flatlands ave. It takes probaly 30 to 45 minutes to deadhead from SC to Mill basin for B100/BM1/BM3/BM4 runs.

These are just my predictions.

Archived