heard on fox 5 about the staten island railway train derailed

Igor Gaysinsky

MyFoxNY.com -- A Staten Island Rail train derailed at the Tottenville Station. Staten Island-bound SIRTOA trains are terminating at the Pleasand Plains Stations. Richmond Valley, Nassau, Atlantic and Tottenville stations are being bypassed. SkyFoxHD was over the scene.

It was backing up and it crashed through a bumping post, half of the first car slid down the enbankment missing the water (Arthur Kill River) by a few feet.

While this should not be on the career forum lets bring it in that direction. The Train Operator will go downtown or where ever they do it in SI for Incident testing and interviewed on what happen. It could be human error because Train Operator didn't have thier train under control or Brake Problems. If It is human error he will be terminated or if he had a good record up to that point they MAY be kind enough to demote them to Cleaner. Now when it comes to brake Problems I can relate to that very well. I remember one Saturday night I lost my Dynamic Brakes entering Chambers Street on the (A) Line a R40M. It feels like you got no brakes because it take the train longer to stop. However I handled the situation well the train made a perfect station stop because I realised something was wrong before I entered the station since I took a controlling brake around the curve and nothing happen. I was very relieved when I made the stop and discharged the train. That was one problem I never wanted to face as a T/O but handled it and did a great job.

Archived