late 80's/early 90's C/R experiences

Joe

I found this article online, it's about a C/R's experiences over a few years. Here's the link: http://www.amren.com/ar/1997/01/index.html#cover

I'm not so sure I believe everything about this, but any TA workers like to comment on the work environment?

As a third generation TA employee I can personally say that the reverse racism that goes on in the TA is staggering. I believe most of what this article says because I have heard and seen the way white guys are talked about and treated on the job.

Not one single day goes by that I don't hear numerous discussions about the white man keeping the black man down. Many of my co-workers openly admit to voting for the worst union president in the unions history ONLY because he is black!!!

That was an interesting read. Sadly I believe racism is something that will never be rid from this world.

Racism is mostly an american problem. In other countries like england for example you're english no matter what your color. But here its african american rather than AMERICAN!!!

This gentleman sure did go through a lot on his job, but as he says there were very few whites working underground, I think that has changed a lot, nowadays you see all races operate trains. The racism in the 80s and 90s is incredible though, I had no idea.

This gentleman sure did go through a lot on his job, but as he says there were very few whites working underground, I think that has changed a lot, nowadays you see all races operate trains. The racism in the 80s and 90s is incredible though, I had no idea.

If it changed at all it changed to less whites working in RTO. There are some departments like car equipment and signals that have alot of white employees but NOT in operating positions.

The reverse racism is defenitly worse now than in the mid 90's when this guy worked.

Its certainly believable and obviously some of you are saying it goes on which is certainly believable but my question is this a true story?

I thought so until i saw the author's name and then the little foot note that said: "Daniel Attila is a junior at Columbia University"

Its certainly believable and obviously some of you are saying it goes on which is certainly believable but my question is this a true story?

I thought so until i saw the author's name and then the little foot note that said: "Daniel Attila is a junior at Columbia University"

Even though there are 30+ yos attending universities, I do challenge the credibility of the account since SubwayGuy brought it up. It really sounds convincing. If it is made up, this guy could become a great novelist.

If it changed at all it changed to less whites working in RTO. There are some departments like car equipment and signals that have alot of white employees but NOT in operating positions.

The reverse racism is defenitly worse now than in the mid 90's when this guy worked.

But why is it that there is a majority of non whites working in train operation? Is it considered a "dirty job"?

But why is it that there is a majority of non whites working in train operation? Is it considered a "dirty job"?

My theory is that alot of white guys are afraid of working in the subway. And they don't want to start out as conductors, clerks, and cleaners which are all very low paying jobs for the first 3 years.

I've noticed a huge increase in white T/O's coming off of the open competetive tests. T/O is a decent paying job from day one.

Well, with all these NTT trains I don't think being a T/O can be considered a "dirty job" anymore. Unless you work the (C) or (E) line where most R32-R42

equipment runs then I guess it can be considered a "dirty job". I hear that in rains and snows inside the R32-R42 cabs and they don't hold heat well(Yes, know the (C) and (E) lines are 100% underground but they still run in service on the (J)(F) and (A) lines).

It's just my opinion but I would say afraid of both.

i think it is because the MTA hires mostly non whites. it is reverse discrimination. --not that any type of discrimination is a good thing.

i noticed that jobs as conductors, train operators, and yard jobs are mostly non white employees. they are good paying jobs, and lots of whites actually want those jobs, its just that the MTA hires mostly people that are not white to fill a racial quota for hiring purposes. i have been to many locations and many yards on the MTA divisions. i also have two friends that work for the MTA in the railyards, and even they told me that the MTA hires mostly blacks, not hispanics or whites that apply and pass exams.

i think it is because the MTA hires mostly non whites. it is reverse discrimination. --not that any type of discrimination is a good thing.

i noticed that jobs as conductors, train operators, and yard jobs are mostly non white employees. they are good paying jobs, and lots of whites actually want those jobs, its just that the MTA hires mostly people that are not white to fill a racial quota for hiring purposes. i have been to many locations and many yards on the MTA divisions. i also have two friends that work for the MTA in the railyards, and even they told me that the MTA hires mostly blacks, not hispanics or whites that apply and pass exams.

That's absolutely false. These are civil service jobs so the TA doesn't get to pick and choose who they hire. If you pass the written test, drug test, and physical you are hired. It's just mostly blacks are taking the tests for the jobs.

LIRR and Metronorth aren't civil service so that is why those jobs are mostly all white.

LIRR and Metronorth aren't civil service so that is why those jobs are mostly all white.

i'm not trying to start a racial argument or anything like that. but i rarely see whites working at metronorth. in the railyards, c/o's, and t/o's, all i see are blacks. about a year ago when i took my exam, at least half of the people in the exam room were white. and they were not hired. plus my two friends that are foremans in the railyard work with mostly non whites.

i'm not trying to start a racial argument or anything like that. but i rarely see whites working at metronorth. in the railyards, c/o's, and t/o's, all i see are blacks. about a year ago when i took my exam, at least half of the people in the exam room were white. and they were not hired. plus my two friends that are foremans in the railyard work with mostly non whites.

Like I said LIRR and Metronorth aren't civil service jobs so they can hire anyone they want. I have only been on the metronorth a few times but all of the employees I dealt with were white. My friend takes it to work everyday and said that the trains he takes have all white crews also.

I know for a fact that the LIRR is almost entirely white and to get a job there you need a hook up or a relative that works there. I'm talking about operating personnel only.

For the TA it's almost all black but that's because they are the one's that take the tests. When you're dealing with non civil service jobs there is alot of politics involved. Years ago I got a 98 on the suffolk police test but was never called. They hire mostly city cops and relatives of cops that are on the force already.

Archived