Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Reaper2085

Train Operator Training Questions?

Hello everyone I am new to these forums and I would like to wish everyone a Happy Holidays and Season Greetings.

I was hoping to get a few answers to a couple of question regarding the Training for Train Operator. I am on the list for exam 2085, which I had taken in 2003.

I am 63 numbers away from my list number being called and I am trying to find out some information before hand. If any body can answer the following questions it would help me make arrangements ahead of time, thank you.

1. Where are the Training classes held at?

2. What time of the day the classes are are held?

3. What days of the week are the classes held (M-F?) and how many hours per day?

4. How long do the training classes last, before you are allowed to train with an actual train?

I know I can expect to be working some crazy days and hours once I first start, but can anyone chime in with their experiences on the types of work schedules they worked or are still working?

Any other insight into being a newbie Train Operator would also be appreciated.

Thank you,

RC :)

1. Where are the Training classes held at?

2. What time of the day the classes are are held?

3. What days of the week are the classes held (M-F?) and how many hours per day?

4. How long do the training classes last, before you are allowed to train with an actual train?

Any other insight into being a newbie Train Operator would also be appreciated.

Thank you,

RC :)

When you start you will be in school for 6 months. During that time you will have saturday and sunday as days off.

Your training can take place on any tour but you will only be allowed to work 8 hours a day. They won't pay you overtime in schoolcar anymore. You will be all over the entire system, different place almost everyday.

You will be on an actual train during your first week.

When you start you will be in school for 6 months. During that time you will have saturday and sunday as days off.

Your training can take place on any tour but you will only be allowed to work 8 hours a day. They won't pay you overtime in schoolcar anymore. You will be all over the entire system, different place almost everyday.

You will be on an actual train during your first week.

Hello Jah

Thanks for the quick reply and info

Do you know what times are the different tours for training?

Would I be able to choose which tour I prefer for training?

I take it the classroom training are at different place also?

Thanks again

RC

Hello Jah

Thanks for the quick reply and info

Do you know what times are the different tours for training?

Would I be able to choose which tour I prefer for training?

I take it the classroom training are at different place also?

Thanks again

RC

There is very little classroom training after the first week. You don't get to pick anything.

You may have school from 7-1300 or it may be 2100-0500. It could literally be anytime 24 hours a day. If you're lucky you will have 7 or 730 start times.

There is very little classroom training after the first week. You don't get to pick anything.

You may have school from 7-1300 or it may be 2100-0500. It could literally be anytime 24 hours a day. If you're lucky you will have 7 or 730 start times.

JAH

I hope I am lucky enough to get the 7am or 730 start times. 2100 to 0500 would take some time for me to get use to.

If you don't mind can you please post some of the tours you have worked on (days included) and how do you like them?

Thanks

RC

JAH

I hope I am lucky enough to get the 7am or 730 start times. 2100 to 0500 would take some time for me to get use to.

If you don't mind can you please post some of the tours you have worked on (days included) and how do you like them?

Thanks

RC

The tours are:

a.m. 400-1159

p.m. 1200-2159

midnight 2200-359

Your job can start at any time within these windows for your tour. While you're extra for the first 1-4 years of your career they can change your tour and days off when ever they want.

The tours are:

a.m. 400-1159

p.m. 1200-2159

midnight 2200-359

Your job can start at any time within these windows for your tour. While you're extra for the first 1-4 years of your career they can change your tour and days off when ever they want.

JAH

I see. I bet most of the new T/O's get the so called grave yard shifts?

Is there forced or mandatory Over Time? Or are they pretty good at making sure you are off in 8 hours?

Thanks

RC

JAH

I see. I bet most of the new T/O's get the so called grave yard shifts?

Is there forced or mandatory Over Time? Or are they pretty good at making sure you are off in 8 hours?

Thanks

RC

The p.m. tour is the one that most new T/O's end up working.

There is tons of forced O.T. especially when you're new. Don't ever make plans.

The tours are:

a.m. 400-1159

p.m. 1200-2159

midnight 2200-359

Jah,

I noticed the PM tour is 10 hrs long compared to the other 2 tours. Is that because of the built-in OT (or is it OT) or is it that way for just because the MTA needs it to be like that?

Jah,

I noticed the PM tour is 10 hrs long compared to the other 2 tours. Is that because of the built-in OT (or is it OT) or is it that way for just because the MTA needs it to be like that?

I'm not sure why it's like that but I can assure you it benefits the TA in some way. It has nothing to do with O.T.

When I say you work a certain tour that means that your job just has to start within that tour. It can be a p.m. job that starts at 2159 or a midnight job that starts 2200 for example.

When you're new you make tons of forced O.T. because you will be extra some days where you will sit around in a certain terminal for hours and then pick up a full job because somebody called in sick. So even though you may have already been on the clock for say 7 hours you now have to work this 8 hour job that they just gave you and it may be across the entire system. Federal laws just say that you can't work over 16 hours in a day.

I'm not sure why it's like that but I can assure you it benefits the TA in some way. It has nothing to do with O.T.

When I say you work a certain tour that means that your job just has to start within that tour. It can be a p.m. job that starts at 2159 or a midnight job that starts 2200 for example.

When you're new you make tons of forced O.T. because you will be extra some days where you will sit around in a certain terminal for hours and then pick up a full job because somebody called in sick. So even though you may have already been on the clock for say 7 hours you now have to work this 8 hour job that they just gave you and it may be across the entire system. Federal laws just say that you can't work over 16 hours in a day.

Does this also mean that 5 day work weeks are out the windows also?

If you work 16 hours in one day how many hours off are you suppose to have before your next tour starts?

RC

Does this also mean that 5 day work weeks are out the windows also?

If you work 16 hours in one day how many hours off are you suppose to have before your next tour starts?

RC

While you're on probation which is for the first year you are supposed to have 12 hours off between tours. This does NOT include travel time.

Once you get off probation you can have only 8 hours off between tours. They like to give you 10 hours off between but if they need you then 8 it is.

Once you start picking your jobs you cannot pick jobs on back to back days that don't have at least 10 hours in between.

It gets rough when you're new and work 14 hours and have to be back in 10 hours. It may take you 1-2 hours to get home and back again. This leaves very litlle time for sleep or a family life.

While you're on probation which is for the first year you are supposed to have 12 hours off between tours. This does NOT include travel time.

Once you get off probation you can have only 8 hours off between tours. They like to give you 10 hours off between but if they need you then 8 it is.

Once you start picking your jobs you cannot pick jobs on back to back days that don't have at least 10 hours in between.

It gets rough when you're new and work 14 hours and have to be back in 10 hours. It may take you 1-2 hours to get home and back again. This leaves very litlle time for sleep or a family life.

During the probationary period, could a new employee just sit for hours waiting for a job to turn up? If so, what does the TA expect you to do during that time? Another question, how many "new" employees could be waiting for a job, if that's the way it works, at one time in one facility?