Phoenix Valley Metro Light Rail Opened Today!

MTR Admiralty

Finally, down here in Arizona we have something to move people. However, I think this line is totally useless, but what can you do. It doesn't even reach my school, which is in Glendale (10 minutes away from the Arena, where the Giants took the Superbowl earlier this year). Im going back to Arizona on Tuesday unfortunately, but at least now, I have a new system to tackle, and many new photos of the system to come!

Finally, down here in Arizona we have something to move people. However, I think this line is totally useless, but what can you do. It doesn't even reach my school, which is in Glendale (10 minutes away from the Arena, where the Giants took the Superbowl earlier this year). Im going back to Arizona on Tuesday unfortunately, but at least now, I have a new system to tackle, and many new photos of the system to come!

They built it just for you to fan on? :);):cool:

- A

Well, thanks goodness, I changed my mind... I went for Giuliani > Clinton > McCain then last day Ralph Nader... But, until Obama got elected, I feel he is reliable, New York's service cuts may even be unsuccessful under him!

Enough politics...

As Brighton probably could recall... the fare structure in Phoenix is very interesting...you could pay $1.25 for a single ride without ANY transfer. However for $2.50 you could ride the entire system for the whole day. Great for busfanners and railfanners there! This was a new fare policy they began last year, since then they were no longer issuing paper transfers.

No... it was NEEDED. They needed this corridor badly.

Sorry, I would have to disagree with you. The light rail runs essentially the route of the former Red Line bus. The bus ran every 20 minutes and, except at rush hour, they weren't full. As much as I like rail transit, it was not justified here.

Im fanning the Light Rail today!

I'll be looking forward to your photos! I happened to pass the end of the line at Sycamore in Mesa yesterday afternoon and saw four three-car trains between there and Dobson, a few blocks away. Unfortunately, there couldn't have been enough passengers to fill one car of one train.

I'll be looking forward to your photos! I happened to pass the end of the line at Sycamore in Mesa yesterday afternoon and saw four three-car trains between there and Dobson, a few blocks away. Unfortunately, there couldn't have been enough passengers to fill one car of one train.

Thanks! Wow, the passenger count is low already lol

Sorry, I would have to disagree with you. The light rail runs essentially the route of the former Red Line bus. The bus ran every 20 minutes and, except at rush hour, they weren't full. As much as I like rail transit, it was not justified here.

Well since I never been to Phoenix, I will say that you are right. I believe there was a proposal back in the day to build 3 elevated rail lines, am I right? But it went down the toilet.

Well since I never been to Phoenix, I will say that you are right. I believe there was a proposal back in the day to build 3 elevated rail lines, am I right? But it went down the toilet.

I've never heard about that. The trouble with transit in Phoenix, particularly rail, is that the city is spread out, the population density is low, and downtown isn't where a majority of people work. Most people who need to get somewhere in a reasonable amount of time drive a car. I happen to ride a bicycle to work. It would take me over twice as long by bus and I'd still end up a couple miles short of my destination. If you can get to where you need to go, if you don't have a car, and if you have enough time to go by transit, it might work. Unfortunately, it doesn't for the vast majority of Phoenicians and the light rail was built more as a political thing than for actual need. If the bus route it replaces was running full buses every five or ten minutes, I could see it. That wasn't the case at all. I'll be surprised if it ever is utilized to even half of it's capacity except perhaps for a special event. Let's hope I'm wrong!

I've never heard about that. The trouble with transit in Phoenix, particularly rail, is that the city is spread out, the population density is low, and downtown isn't where a majority of people work. Most people who need to get somewhere in a reasonable amount of time drive a car. I happen to ride a bicycle to work. It would take me over twice as long by bus and I'd still end up a couple miles short of my destination. If you can get to where you need to go, if you don't have a car, and if you have enough time to go by transit, it might work. Unfortunately, it doesn't for the vast majority of Phoenicians and the light rail was built more as a political thing than for actual need. If the bus route it replaces was running full buses every five or ten minutes, I could see it. That wasn't the case at all. I'll be surprised if it ever is utilized to even half of it's capacity except perhaps for a special event. Let's hope I'm wrong!

For sure man!

You are right about the size of Phoenix... from a map, it is sprawled out and I believe the population is rather low (not because of its location in the United States).

LR = political pursuit? If that is true though, then, waste of money, much?

Archived