R160, all lines but the Q

BSmith

That is only IF, the service cuts go into effect and that the Q goes to Astoria.

Here is MY question:

Of all the following lines that run R160s, which one different from the others?

(E)(J)(L)(M)(N)(Q)(W)(Z)

Clue: Something about one particular station.

Haha, this one's much easier.

They all serve Canal Street except the (L).

Haha, this one's much easier.

They all serve Canal Street except the (L).

No... I was thinking about the Wilson Avenue configuration

The station is stacked, the Canarsie bound trains stop on the aboveground portion, while the Manhattan bound trains stop in the underground section. The Manhattan bound platform is actually on surface, but was covered to make it resemble like a real subway station.

No... I was thinking about the Wilson Avenue configuration

The station is stacked, the Canarsie bound trains stop on the aboveground portion, while the Manhattan bound trains stop in the underground section. The Manhattan bound platform is actually on surface, but was covered to make it resemble like a real subway station.

Cool. Is Wilson Av. in Brklyn or Qns? Is the configuration something like Queensboro Plaza but "lower"? Any pics anywhere? (I don't know this station)

Cool. Is Wilson Av. in Brklyn or Qns? Is the configuration something like Queensboro Plaza but "lower"? Any pics anywhere? (I don't know this station)

Brooklyn, but it is very close to Queens.

Queensboro Plaza is double stacked, meaning there are 2 tracks on each level.

The weird factor about Wilson Ave is that one level is aboveground and one level is in fact on ground, the lower level is entirely covered, making it seem like a bona fide subway station.

Is it related to 57th Street/7th Avenue tracks?

Well, most possibly weekends to test the switcher @ 57th and 7th Northside of station to make sure the switch will be suitible for safe passenger service...

Actually, I think they are repairing the (Q) express line (Broadway) and there's also a G.O. during those two weeks that makes the (N) and (Q) run on the (R) after DeKalb Avenue and local all the way to Queens.

Or maybe they want to get rider's response on extending the (Q) to Astoria.

Q to Astoria makes sense. More frequent trains to a sizable ridership. Q seems more reliable and frequent than N.

When you say more trains, the concept I'm hearing in my head is: capacity constraints. When the Q goes to Astoria and the W is officially deleted and say the N will have a few more trains and the R will have the same number of trains, that will be a capacity issue and it will affect the R service (Queens Blvd Line) The current set up can cause a bottleneck already, with some N trains stopping right at the portal just before the 60th Street Tunnel, and the R stopping right before the junction.

The only way I will see it is that half the Q will go to Astoria (the rest to 57th Street) if this service cut takes place, otherwise it will plague the 60th Street Tunnel with capacity issues. I really doubt that all Q will go to Astoria.

And what I mean is the Q train going towards Queensboro Plaza has to stop before that switch to make sure that the whole stretch of track, from the junction to past Queensboro Plaza is clear before proceeding. Once it enters, it freezes up the N, which means the N has to wait at 39th Avenue. So the Q goes, discharges its passengers, and gets out. The signal clears for the N. So there would be limited capacity in this set up, which is not favourable. And if the switch (defined as red for some odd reason) is working between the downtown track and the uptown track, problems will still persist as it will tie up the N, limiting capacity. And what is worse, the R also shares the 60th Street Tunnel, so that will affect all 3 lines. Not a good thing to have.

Archived