NE Corridor Question

Jamaica Express

Yesterday I took a trip to Philadelphia, which meant it was my 1st time riding Amtrak ever!! as well as my 1st time riding Septa Regional Rail and my 1st time ever going further than New Brunswick on the Northeast Corridor

My question is...why is there such a large gap in stations between Jersey Avenue and Trenton, and also is Morrisville Yard visable from the NE Corridor, because when we passed Trenton I was looking for it but didn't see it

and not to get off topic, but are all Septa commuter rail stations as short and small as they are on the R7 Trenton Line (I think the longest platform was maybe 4-car lengths)?

There are 3 abandoned stations, one can still be seen, was called "monmouth junction" it sits on the flat section of a wye. The remnants of the concrete platform are still there.

Keep in mind that when rail was king there were literally like thousands of small little stops all over every line. Even the princeton branch in nj had another station!

As for seeing morrisville yard, you won't see it unless you ride the train down past trenton, across the river, then make a weird path from the eastern pair of tracks over the western pair of tracks and over the canal to the yard. There is a small hill with trees on it obscuring it from view.

And as for the platforms being small, well, there were a ton of small stations, no need to build tons and tons of huge stations, just save that for really busy or really important stations. The rest just need to be able to board/alight passengers. Granted they could be vastly improved, but septa is very poorly funded. Hopefully obama the infrastructure rebuilder plan guy & biden the train rider can help with that...

- A

The large gap is between Jersey Avenue and Princeton Junction. I think the gap is there because there is no passenger demand for any stops between.

You can't see Morrisville Yard from the NEC

Most SEPTA stations are small. Some like North Philadelphia are longer.

The large gap is between Jersey Avenue and Princeton Junction. I think the gap is there because there is no passenger demand for any stops between.

Yes and no. Monmouth junction could be re-activated and rebuilt. It is half way between PJ and JA. It is a bit of a drive to either station, and it would allow local trains from jersey ave to pull onto track 4 then come to trenton, because there would be 4 stations served vs 3.

Also, that area is grade level, so building a pedestrian crossing bridge would be simple.

- A

• 8 months later...

Jersey Avenue is itself located in an industrial area and adjacent to a (NJT) rail yard.

To travel to Elizabeth, Newark or New York, a passenger must take a northbound train that originates at Jersey Avenue. With weekday rush hour service only, the gap is New Brunswick to Princeton Junction.

Jersey Avenue station opened in October 1963.

Not true - the demand is highly concentrated in that part of Middlesex County, and thus the reason why people have pushed the MOM project so much, as commuter ridership conditions at Princeton Junction and the two New Brunswick stations warrant more capacity and additional boarding locations. (Also the reason why the Coach USA/Suburban and Academy commuter services to NY in the area are at capacity).

Penn central closed the stations to save money on maintenance, plus remember most of these stations (aside from monmouth junction) only platform the ends of 2 cars and were opened when a lot of people still didn't have automobiles. In the 70's having small numerous stations didn't make sense anymore, however lengthened high platforms would be useful today.

- A

Archived