Bam plan could buck up the MTA

UlmerPark B6

BY ERIN EINHORN

DAILY NEWS CITY HALL BUREAU

Sunday, December 28th 2008, 9:59 PM

President-elect Barack Obama's economic stimulus plan may get New York an extra station for the extended No. 7 train line, upgraded subway stations and 1,500 new hybrid buses, Sen. Chuck Schumer said yesterday.

Though details of the massive package Obama wants to sign in his first days in office are still being worked out, Schumer said he expects about $4 billion for mass transit in New York.

That's enough to create 180,000 jobs and leave the city with lasting improvements to its subway, bus and commuter rail systems.

"A $4 billion shot in the arm is going to be a very, very good shot in the arm," Schumer said Sunday during a press conference at his midtown office with Rep. Jerrold Nadler (D-Manhattan), a member of the House Transportation Committee.

Schumer said the cash would allow the MTA to build a subway station at 10th Ave. for the planned extension of the No. 7 train to the Javits Center.

Top Obama adviser David Axelrod yesterday told CBS' "Face the Nation" that the stimulus plan designed to pull the country out of recession could cost as much as $775 billion.

Schumer, the third-ranking Democrat in the Senate, said he, Nadler and other leaders are also pushing for $20 billion in mass transit improvements.

"We are confident that we will get a very, very good number ... maybe a little more, maybe a little less," Schumer said.

New York typically gets about a fifth of federal transit dollars, making the city's share about $4 billion.

It could kick-start projects that have been delayed or postponed by the MTA's dire finances.

"There's no better way to stimulate the economy than to invest in the public transportation system that is its lifeblood," said MTA spokesman Jeremy Soffin.

Does that mean we are getting 1,500 new buses?

no...we don't need more buses. long term the best thing to do will be invest in subways because they are faster, more energy efficient, and keep people and vehicles off the streets which reduces congestion. as the population continues to grow, subways are the most efficient way to move people around while causing the least disruptions. expanding the system in the long run will be to everyone's benefit.

The money should be spent in an even way. Even if a boost is gotten, budget cuts should still be considered.

My order of spending-

1. KEEP FARES STABLE!
  2. NYC Subway Stations
  3. NYC Tunnel Infrastructure (signals included)
  4. MNCRR Structures
  5. LIRR pre-1897 undergrade bridge replacement
  6. M3/M1/M2 retirement, M8 procurement
  7. Finish ESA
  8. Multi-track SAS ph 3+4

The money should be spent in an even way. Even if a boost is gotten, budget cuts should still be considered.

My order of spending-

1. KEEP FARES STABLE!

2. NYC Subway Stations

3. NYC Tunnel Infrastructure (signals included)

4. MNCRR Structures

5. LIRR pre-1897 undergrade bridge replacement

6. M3/M1/M2 retirement, M8 procurement

7. Finish ESA

8. Multi-track SAS ph 3+4

They should really focus on the big dollar projects such as the SAS

I know this was posted in General Subway, but it was mentioned two posts up:

The whole ESA project should be put on the back burner until SAS is completed. With the LIRR running to the east side, do we really need more crowded Lex Ave trains? You're increasing passenger load without increasing capacity, and those Lex platforms are borderline dangerous during rush hour, I would say. I try to avoid the Lex as much as possible just because it's so crowded.

Any money that the MTA receives in packages should be first used to stave off a fare hike, and then pumped into SAS to get the damn thing done after what, 70-80 years?

I know this was posted in General Subway, but it was mentioned two posts up:

The whole ESA project should be put on the back burner until SAS is completed. With the LIRR running to the east side, do we really need more crowded Lex Ave trains? You're increasing passenger load without increasing capacity, and those Lex platforms are borderline dangerous during rush hour, I would say. I try to avoid the Lex as much as possible just because it's so crowded.

Any money that the MTA receives in packages should be first used to stave off a fare hike, and then pumped into SAS to get the damn thing done after what, 70-80 years?

The east side access project manhattan tunneling phase is complete and on schedule for a fully operational completion some time in 2012. MNRR/LIRR connection has priority.

- A

The east side access project manhattan tunneling phase is complete and on schedule for a fully operational completion some time in 2012. MNRR/LIRR connection has priority.

- A

I can't be too sure about dates, but I agree, the reason being is because when you look at the bigger picture, the East Side Access will actually improve connections. It will relieve the pressure at Penn Station, by providing a new outlet at Grand Central. Also, it was found that many LIRR commuters had jobs on the East Side, so the ESA will shorten their commutes. Currently, these commuters have to ride the subway to their East Midtown destinations. This would not be needed when the ESA is completed, so it can free up some subway lines as well.

Barak Obama has less power to control the (MTA), only the State ans City has more power since Obama has like 1,000's of things to do per month and cannot concentrate on the (MTA) fully...

No political (by party)/religious/etnicity talk since it isn't the best way (for me)...

Well, the Cash boost may help a little, :P...

It is not about control, Obama is not controlling the MTA.

I am really grateful that he included the MTA as part of his stimulus package. Transportation is crucial when it comes to rebuilding the economy.

I know it is not, dude get over it... If your mind cannot match my mind, they don't respond like you are trying to start a flame war... And you are like one of the three main persons who is increasing my posts, mainly because I am trying to counter your false comments on me...

I am satisfyed that he has considered the (MTA) in his stimulus package too... I know transportation is crucial to maintain on-time things...

LOL, let me ask you, who are those 3 people?

Anyways, I think the priorities for the money should head to the big dollar projects such as the SAS and ESA as well as rehabilitating the system. The money should prevent service cuts and fare hikes and cover up that deficit. Additionally if there are enough the money should go to improving our transit connections, such as implementing effective BRT systems.

I know the money is not enough for additional subway expansion projects but some of the money should also go to studies for such projects in the future.

no...we don't need more buses. long term the best thing to do will be invest in subways because they are faster, more energy efficient, and keep people and vehicles off the streets which reduces congestion. as the population continues to grow, subways are the most efficient way to move people around while causing the least disruptions. expanding the system in the long run will be to everyone's benefit.

Actually, we need new buses to replace 13+ year old buses with body rot, leaking roofs, lack of ac and poor accelerator.

Archived