My impression of the R179

MattTrain

This is my rendering of what the R179 may look like, it may look similar to an R68 but it has a digital LCD sign instead of a roll sign, and storm doors similar to the R160 series. Anyways I have it signed as a (F)

R179-1.jpg

I apologize if this looks almost like my R68 drawing, but I can't seem to make this drawing similar to an R160. B)

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
five doors look ugly. keep it at four. most transit fans believe the R179s will just be a 75 foot version of the R160s and the first lines they will go on is the B and D since Coney Island always has top priority when it comes to receiving new cars.

Yeah, sure it will be only four doors. There has never been a five door train car before.

five doors look ugly. keep it at four. most transit fans believe the R179s will just be a 75 foot version of the R160s and the first lines they will go on is the B and D since Coney Island always has top priority when it comes to receiving new cars.

Your adjective "ugly" is not needed here, 5 doors may be necessary IF the proposed R179 is in fact 75 feet long. The reason being is, the current set up with 4 doors per car is not enough which therefore affects the loading. Loading times are extended when there are less doors, that is why there MAY be 5 doors on the R179 if it is 75 feet long.

And no. Coney Island will NOT be getting them, that is certain. They already got the R160s and the Hippos there are fine. The D is not based at Coney Island Yard, it is based out of Concourse Yard, and that too will not receive R179s, if they are built.

The only lines that MAY receive them, once they are built are the lines based out of 207th/Pitkin Yards and Jamaica Yards.

Your adjective "ugly" is not needed here, 5 doors may be necessary IF the proposed R179 is in fact 75 feet long. The reason being is, the current set up with 4 doors per car is not enough which therefore affects the loading. Loading times are extended when there are less doors, that is why there MAY be 5 doors on the R179 if it is 75 feet long.

And no. Coney Island will NOT be getting them, that is certain. They already got the R160s and the Hippos there are fine. The D is not based at Coney Island Yard, it is based out of Concourse Yard, and that too will not receive R179s, if they are built.

The only lines that MAY receive them, once they are built are the lines based out of 207th/Pitkin Yards and Jamaica Yards.

Well said. To me, it would be really unique to see a five-car subway car in the NYC Subway. I like to see that, but who knows the R179 is still in the planning stages.

very good rendition. It would be interesting to see a train with 5 doors.

Thank you, well that's what I'm curious about.

5 sets of doors x 8 R179 cars = 40 sets of doors total for an R179 train.

Wouldn't that be helpful for loading and unloading passengers! B)

Well said. To me, it would be really unique to see a five-car subway car in the NYC Subway. I like to see that, but who knows the R179 is still in the planning stages.

Thank you, yeah it is unique since it will be the only car with the most doors. It is utilitarian not for aesthetics. People should not whine about "OH MY GOD... IT'S 5 DOORS... IT SUCKS" no, if that is reality, deal with it.

As far as I know, they are still designing it; by the way, do they release the design and the specifications once it is done to public?

Thank you, yeah it is unique since it will be the only car with the most doors. It is utilitarian not for aesthetics. People should not whine about "OH MY GOD... IT'S 5 DOORS... IT SUCKS" no, if that is reality, deal with it.

As far as I know, they are still designing it; by the way, do they release the design and the specifications once it is done to public?

I think the final design plan, once released, goes to the public. I can't wait to find out what it looks like. ;)

I think the R179 should have 5 doors on each side because:

1. More standing room by the extra pair of doorways

2. Easier and faster boarding and alighting

3. Compatibility with R160's if platform edge doors are installed (I checked
:)
).

Thank you, well that's what I'm curious about.

5 sets of doors x 8 R179 cars = 40 sets of doors total for an R179 train.

Wouldn't that be helpful for loading and unloading passengers! :)

Yes, just like 3 doors on a 60ft articulated NYCTA Bus. But of course something that makes sense, MTA goes against.......

Yeah, sure it will be only four doors. There has never been a five door train car before.

Do you mean in the world or in the NYC Subway?

If you mean in the NYC Subway, then sure, there may have never been a 5-door car, but that doesn't mean there can never be one. The MTA should try something different this time.

If you're talking about the whole world, then actually, there are 5-door cars. One of the systems that I know has these is the Hong Kong MTR.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MTR_M-Train_EMU

Even 6-door cars exist, most notably in Japan. Look here!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokyu_5000_series

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamanote_Line

Anyway, I have the comparison image thingy that I made using the R160 diagram on nycsubway.org. I made an R179 by copying and pasting the end part. Also, I found out by measuring the pixel lengths that it made the car exactly 74 feet! Also, as you can see, the doorways of both trains line up with each other, proving their capability on lines that may have platform edge doors.

r160r179copy2oz8.jpg

Archived